Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E9X M3 Track Control and Tension Arms

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:06 am

Hi,

Had the above fitted a few days back so I thought I'd let folks know what I think.

They do make a big difference, the steering feels much more responsive now making the car feel more agile and much more engaging to drive. Dare I say it, its more fun now. Obviously the E89 is never going to set the world on fire in the steering stakes but everything feels much improved and for BMW EPS its not too bad at all now, at least as good as the EPS on my E85 if not better. Some of this will be that the camber pins have also been removed and the camber maxxed out which improves turn in on its own. Overall its a major improvement, makes the car feel more akin to a sports car with a responsiveness that wasn't there before. The "slop" in the steering has gone and no real sense of the "just off centre dead spot" particularly at speed, the detachness you feel from the front wheels has greatly deminished. Honestly its how I would have liked it have come from the factory. I can see why E9x 3series owners rave about this mod, particuarly when you consider that the factory intended the compliant fluid filled bushes in the original arms to be coupled to runflats with no give. With a lot of owners ditching the RFT's in favour of tyres with softer sidewalls your effectively adding even more slop into the system.

However, like most most things in life there is a price to be paid. Theres an increase in the NVH, in terms of general road noise there's probably no real difference, but you do hear and feel it over a bump. Its kind of like I've taken off my non runflats and replaced with RFT, but not as extreme as that. Fortunately though there's no real sense of bump/torque steer, not like the E85.

In summary I can see BMW's logic here in fitting the arms they did at the factory, as at the time they were aiming for a BMW SLK. Something alot softer than the E85 with mass market appeal which of course the E89 is. However I do believe that if the M divsion had built an E89 Z4M or even a M LITE (lets call it an E89 Z4 M35IS :rofl:) the first thing they would have changed would have been the control arms and ditched the runflats, just like they did on E9x M3. Next up would have been the suspension and then the sway bars/ARB's. They would have left the engine/box alone as they were deployed in some M cars anyway. As I've already got the B12 kit, which made a huge difference its ARB's next for me when I can find someone with actual stock! :D

Think it might be time to sell the E85 and just keep the E89! :o :)
Last edited by MACK on Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:47 am

My colleague who had Z4, same model as mine, agrees this is the only car where you are constantly jiggling the steering wheel on the local country lanes we would have to drive down. She had the original rft, i replaced with non rft on my car. She was glad to get rid of her car.
My car i can let go of steering, it runs straight, just that once you touch the wheel, there is that need to drive it like a Hollywood film.
My other car, a Berlingo, drives like it's on autopilot, not even conscious of any steering wheel movement.
Z4 is the worst steering on any car i have owned.
The weighting in sport mode seems an attempt to dampen the wayward steering. I never drive the car down lanes in normal mode.
My car doesn't have the servotronic option, but colleagues did.

Did BMW alter the geometry of the suspension on later LCI production.

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:21 pm

Mack, have you got a link for the parts you've bought and installed? Thanks.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:28 pm

Marcoose wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:21 pm Mack, have you got a link for the parts you've bought and installed? Thanks.
I used a company called Autodoc. Using genuine TRW parts;

LEFT tension strut with rubber mounting BMW PART NO 31102283575 TRW PART NO JTC 1424
RIGHT tension strut with rubber mounting BMW PART NO 31102283576 TRW PART NO JTC 1423
WISHBONE LEFT BMW PART NO 31102283577 TRW PART NO JTC 1426
WISHBONE RIGHT BMW PART NO 31102283578 TRW PART NO JTC 1427
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:37 pm

flybobbie wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:47 am My colleague who had Z4, same model as mine, agrees this is the only car where you are constantly jiggling the steering wheel on the local country lanes we would have to drive down. She had the original rft, i replaced with non rft on my car. She was glad to get rid of her car.
My car i can let go of steering, it runs straight, just that once you touch the wheel, there is that need to drive it like a Hollywood film.
My other car, a Berlingo, drives like it's on autopilot, not even conscious of any steering wheel movement.
Z4 is the worst steering on any car i have owned.
The weighting in sport mode seems an attempt to dampen the wayward steering. I never drive the car down lanes in normal mode.
My car doesn't have the servotronic option, but colleagues did.

Did BMW alter the geometry of the suspension on later LCI production.
I dont think they altered it on the later cars
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:48 pm

I never had an E85 to compare with, and I’ve never had a modern sports car to use as a benchmark, however doing the same mod plus the M3 bushes in the rear trailing linkage was the cherry on the cake. :driving:

There is an increase in NVH but I found ensuring the roof is down at all times and keeping the audio running hard compensates :thumbsup:

I’d previously fitted the H&R ARBs and likewise have the B8 dampers on the OE MSport springs.

If I was to rank impact of changes on the ‘handling’ I would say

17/18 non run flats vs 19” 326M runflats even cheap Chinese tyres..

B8 shocks vs OE shocks

H&R ARBs vs OE

M series front steering parts

Quaife LSD

M series rear bushes

Keeping the front offset close to OE spec seems to work best. Needs 5mm / 10mm spacers on my 18” Zito 935s

I’ve yet to try my latest change which is 235/40 18 and 265/35 18 GY Asy 5 vs previous 235/4018 255/35 18 Sports Contact 5s :tumbleweed:

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 pm

Pardon the threadjack. The trusted indy installed Ground Control camber plates, Turner monoballs, H&R sport springs, set all four's camber to -1.7 degrees. And PS4S for good measure. The result is zero understeer at spirited street speeds. Total confidence. The unwanted result is a steering tremor at 90mph on the motorways. I'm going to have the wheels rebalanced. Have you guys experienced this type of tremor with your suspension mods? Thanks.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:52 am

Marcoose wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 pm Pardon the threadjack. The trusted indy installed Ground Control camber plates, Turner monoballs, H&R sport springs, set all four's camber to -1.7 degrees. And PS4S for good measure. The result is zero understeer at spirited street speeds. Total confidence. The unwanted result is a steering tremor at 90mph on the motorways. I'm going to have the wheels rebalanced. Have you guys experienced this type of tremor with your suspension mods? Thanks.
My current camber settings are -0.52/-0.84 front and -2.32/-2.3 rear which are close to factory specs

They were previously closer to your settings and there was a bit of twitch at higher speeds...the revised settings are with the M3 steering linkages / bushes...stability is good whilst turn in is for me good.

Personally I’m not a fan of rapid steering..I find this set up gives me good feedback as far as what the front end is doing, which historically felt a little remote and vague.
Attachments
2DC76B82-A77A-4246-89EA-57717AF8CA82.jpeg
2DC76B82-A77A-4246-89EA-57717AF8CA82.jpeg (155.36 KiB) Viewed 615 times

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:16 am

Pbondar wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:48 pm I never had an E85 to compare with, and I’ve never had a modern sports car to use as a benchmark, however doing the same mod plus the M3 bushes in the rear trailing linkage was the cherry on the cake. :driving:

There is an increase in NVH but I found ensuring the roof is down at all times and keeping the audio running hard compensates :thumbsup:

I’d previously fitted the H&R ARBs and likewise have the B8 dampers on the OE MSport springs.

If I was to rank impact of changes on the ‘handling’ I would say

17/18 non run flats vs 19” 326M runflats even cheap Chinese tyres..

B8 shocks vs OE shocks

H&R ARBs vs OE

M series front steering parts

Quaife LSD

M series rear bushes

Keeping the front offset close to OE spec seems to work best. Needs 5mm / 10mm spacers on my 18” Zito 935s

I’ve yet to try my latest change which is 235/40 18 and 265/35 18 GY Asy 5 vs previous 235/4018 255/35 18 Sports Contact 5s :tumbleweed:
I didn't realise you had changed any bushes at the backend. Is it the main RTAB bushes you swapped for ones with limiters like folks (including me) have done on the E85. Or just the lower one near the wheel to match the ball joint one at the top. Either way did you notice much difference. Can't decide if it's worth doing as part of the arb install
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:12 pm

It was these babies :thumbsup:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lemforder/1246162
rear bush.jpg
rear bush.jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 556 times
I couldn't get the rear wheels to line up properly without a re-bush, the old ones had taken on a set (my fat bottom :rofl: )

Frankly by then I had done so many mods and tweaks it was hard to tell..

All I know is its as good as I can determine/need etc..I don't want for more.

Within the confines of a car where you sit in the boot and steer from there, which is a very different feel say to a F56 Mini then its good as it gets.

Drove a bog stock 28i for a pal looking to buy and its just a world away!

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:20 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:12 pm It was these babies :thumbsup:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lemforder/1246162

rear bush.jpg

I couldn't get the rear wheels to line up properly without a re-bush, the old ones had taken on a set (my fat bottom :rofl: )

Frankly by then I had done so many mods and tweaks it was hard to tell..

All I know is its as good as I can determine/need etc..I don't want for more.

Within the confines of a car where you sit in the boot and steer from there, which is a very different feel say to a F56 Mini then its good as it gets.

Drove a bog stock 28i for a pal looking to buy and its just a world away!
I do know what you mean about multiple mods and then trying to discern the difference. :scratchhead: :-D

My current dilemma is whether its worth changing the RTAB bushes for E46/E85 M ones with limiters. Made a difference on my E85 but not so sure the same will be true on the E89 as they are 4mm wider as standard, obviously this was BMW's solution to the issue of too much movement on the E46/85 that tuners solved with limiter kits. Can't find much about it on the net when it comes to the E89, just stuff about the potential to replace the bushes for the lower wishbone with M ball joint ones like you have.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:10 pm

The H&R ARBs on middle setting along with the B8s did the trick...I was going to swap the MSport springs for Eibach / H&R but the loss of control and bottoming I previously had all disappeared with the B8s and new ARBs

I’m sure you could sharpen the steering / harden up the ride further but I’m not keen to visit that E85 ride.

On many runs now with fellow E85s the comment is how the E89 rides the bumps so well from a relative comfort whilst putting the power down in an effortless style and goes around corners as well as any of them.

I’d go for the H&R ARB..do the rear bushes and then review...IMHO :thumbsdown: :driving:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:35 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:10 pm The H&R ARBs on middle setting along with the B8s did the trick...I was going to swap the MSport springs for Eibach / H&R but the loss of control and bottoming I previously had all disappeared with the B8s and new ARBs

I’m sure you could sharpen the steering / harden up the ride further but I’m not keen to visit that E85 ride.

On many runs now with fellow E85s the comment is how the E89 rides the bumps so well from a relative comfort whilst putting the power down in an effortless style and goes around corners as well as any of them.

I’d go for the H&R ARB..do the rear bushes and then review...IMHO :thumbsdown: :driving:
That's what I've decided to do. Getting the arbs is proving a bit difficult. No one's seems to have stock and haven't for a while, most can't tell you when they'll be available either. To be honest if I get the handling a little better on top of the improvements I've already made I think my chronically under used E85 Will be going up for sale. As you say the extra comfort coupled to the much improved ride/handling/steering the e89 now has means I will probably just keep that.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:20 pm

MACK wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:35 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:10 pm The H&R ARBs on middle setting along with the B8s did the trick...I was going to swap the MSport springs for Eibach / H&R but the loss of control and bottoming I previously had all disappeared with the B8s and new ARBs

That's what I've decided to do. Getting the arbs is proving a bit difficult. No one's seems to have stock and haven't for a while, most can't tell you when they'll be available either. To be honest if I get the handling a little better on top of the improvements I've already made I think my chronically under used E85 Will be going up for sale. As you say the extra comfort coupled to the much improved ride/handling/steering the e89 now has means I will probably just keep that.
:thumbsup: