Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35I brake upgrade

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pbondar

35I brake upgrade

Post by Pbondar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:05 pm

sumotan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:40 pm Hi Pete,
Caliper weight us 2.43 kg per pc wanted to go for Radical ll but it weighs 800 grams more which made no sence to me & cost more too. lol
Rotors are 330 like stock but 28 mm thick. Yes for any aftermarket brake kits, they all have to cheat with adaptor brackets. I do believe
though that they're better build then Bmw Brembo, in anycase as long as it works well for my application Im happy. Caliper model is CP 9200
which replaces the CP 5200.

Cheers
:thumbsup:

sumotan

35I brake upgrade

Post by sumotan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:10 pm

Just had the Catless DP & Wagner FMIC installed today Pete but due to that dreaded Outside Temp Sensor issue will have to resolve it before further testing.

Cheers & many thanks

Pbondar

35I brake upgrade

Post by Pbondar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:16 pm

sumotan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:10 pm Just had the Catless DP & Wagner FMIC installed today Pete but due to that dreaded Outside Temp Sensor issue will have to resolve it before further testing.

Cheers & many thanks
Should sound great and go quickly :driving:

I’ve ordered a 200 cell cat down pipe as it failed the MOT and I get quite a whiff of fuel with the top down when stationary..not sure when I will fit it, before the next MOT for sure.

I’ll do another dyno run once it’s fitted :tumbleweed:

TomK

35I brake upgrade

Post by TomK » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:24 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm I see they 'cheat' with an adapter bracket between the caliper and leg..not there is anything wrong with that..I assume that's their way of using generic calipers..
'Cheat' in the exact same way as brembo does with yours :lol:
2020-08-08 10.16.32.jpg
2020-08-08 10.16.32.jpg (162 KiB) Viewed 387 times
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Pbondar

35I brake upgrade

Post by Pbondar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 pm

TomK wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:24 pm
Pbondar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm I see they 'cheat' with an adapter bracket between the caliper and leg..not there is anything wrong with that..I assume that's their way of using generic calipers..
2020-08-08 10.16.32.jpg
Quite so..I've since discovered that those calipers have been fitted by owners to almost every BMW going (I guess with different adapter brackets). :tumbleweed:

Unlike the OE calipers which don't have adapters. :thumbsup:

sumotan

35I brake upgrade

Post by sumotan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:58 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:16 pm
sumotan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:10 pm Just had the Catless DP & Wagner FMIC installed today Pete but due to that dreaded Outside Temp Sensor issue will have to resolve it before further testing.

Cheers & many thanks
Should sound great and go quickly :driving:

I’ve ordered a 200 cell cat down pipe as it failed the MOT and I get quite a whiff of fuel with the top down when stationary..not sure when I will fit it, before the next MOT for sure.

2020-08-08 10.16.32.jpg
Now this is the part where I wish that I was living in the US or the UK. Where I am there's no proper workshop nor tuning shop so this means that I've to learn everything about the car myself & have a good mechanic to do the wrenching work for me. Would have loved to go DME reflash but with no dynos etc here so my next best is a JB4 piggy back which isn't the best way to go but no choice. The advantage though is if there's a problem with JB4, I just unplug reconnect to Oem & Im good to go. Having said that Burger Tuning has been a great help cause they even remapped their program to suit my car with Data Logs that I've collected. For now Im happy Lol, btw re JB4 its isn't like what many enthusiast thinks, it isn't just a boost controller infact it does adjust many parameters, only set back is it works within the limits of the original Dme programme.

Cheers & thanks again Pete

Pbondar

35I brake upgrade

Post by Pbondar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:05 pm

sumotan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:58 pm
Pbondar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:16 pm Should sound great and go quickly :driving:

2020-08-08 10.16.32.jpg
Now this is the part where I wish that I was living in the US or the UK. Where I am there's no proper workshop nor tuning shop so this means that I've to learn everything about the car myself & have a good mechanic to do the wrenching work for me. Would have loved to go DME reflash but with no dynos etc here so my next best is a JB4 piggy back which isn't the best way to go but no choice. The advantage though is if there's a problem with JB4, I just unplug reconnect to Oem & Im good to go. Having said that Burger Tuning has been a great help cause they even remapped their program to suit my car with Data Logs that I've collected. For now Im happy Lol, btw re JB4 its isn't like what many enthusiast thinks, it isn't just a boost controller infact it does adjust many parameters, only set back is it works within the limits of the original Dme programme.

Cheers & thanks again Pete
The JB4 seems very popular in the USA, so I think its as good an option as you're going to get where you are. What numbers are they predicting pre and post de-cat?

sumotan

35I brake upgrade

Post by sumotan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 pm

Actually I never ask lol but what I was told was after de cat & fmic will easily get me another 15 to 20hp. They got 2 maps set for me, for now Im running on Map 1 which adds 4 psi more over stock. At least Im comfortable knowing that the AFR is well behaved. The graph is pre de cat & at certain rpm is slightly rich but it should now be just right after de cat. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers
Attachments
375A40AE-66EB-46B3-89E1-81CF4F45349A.png
375A40AE-66EB-46B3-89E1-81CF4F45349A.png (125.07 KiB) Viewed 369 times

Pbondar

35I brake upgrade

Post by Pbondar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:07 pm

sumotan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 pm Actually I never ask lol but what I was told was after de cat & fmic will easily get me another 15 to 20hp. They got 2 maps set for me, for now Im running on Map 1 which adds 4 psi more over stock. At least Im comfortable knowing that the AFR is well behaved. The graph is pre de cat & at certain rpm is slightly rich but it should now be just right after de cat. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers
looks like the gains are modest but useful on the 28i which is not illogical given that the JB4 is a bolt on box viz a re-map..looks like all being well around 35 bhp and 60 ft lb torque... (81nm)..they are a little down on a re-map..I would estimate 5-25 depending on various factors and 20-60nm torque

The JB4 headline numbers are all based on E85 fuels which have a powerful cooling effect allowing more power
2021-03-23 15.42.03.png
2021-03-23 15.42.03.png (570 KiB) Viewed 363 times

engine killer

35I brake upgrade

Post by engine killer » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:09 am

Pbondar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm
sumotan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:04 pm This is the AP set-up Pete. Didn't go with AP J rotors cause friends who use it don't think too highly of them for road application.

Cheers
Nice set of calipers and discs.. what size /thickness are the discs? I see they 'cheat' with an adapter bracket between the caliper and leg..not there is anything wrong with that..I assume that's their way of using generic calipers..have you weighed a caliper out of interest?
Congratulation, the CP5200 is already an extremely durable and reliable caliper and have been in the market for more than 2 decades iirc, so the successor is expected to be even better. i had it in my Peugeot 205 for more than a decade and never failed me once before i switched to CP3307 (without needing the adaptor, much easier for the mot).

sumotan

35I brake upgrade

Post by sumotan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:03 am

Thank you engine killer

sumotan

35I brake upgrade

Post by sumotan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:16 am

Pbondar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:07 pm
sumotan wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:10 pm Actually I never ask lol but what I was told was after de cat & fmic will easily get me another 15 to 20hp. They got 2 maps set for me, for now Im running on Map 1 which adds 4 psi more over stock. At least Im comfortable knowing that the AFR is well behaved. The graph is pre de cat & at certain rpm is slightly rich but it should now be just right after de cat. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers
looks like the gains are modest but useful on the 28i which is not illogical given that the JB4 is a bolt on box viz a re-map..looks like all being well around 35 bhp and 60 ft lb torque... (81nm)..they are a little down on a re-map..I would estimate 5-25 depending on various factors and 20-60nm torque

The JB4 headline numbers are all based on E85 fuels which have a powerful cooling effect allowing more power

2021-03-23 15.42.03.png
Hi Pete,
Well given that the N20 has been labled weak, I'd be happy to get 35-40 reliable bhp gains. Just think of the efforts involved in getting 15hp out of our engines if they were NA lol. It's very poupular in the US that users are combinning back end dme flash with JB4, mostly are with MHD flash but rather unfortunate that there's no program available for e89 N20. Yes this E85 thingy is a good & powerful, I hear that it's even cheaper than petrol in the US. Good thing with JB4 on E85 is that it's port injected which also helps to keep carbon build up on the intakes.

Cheers

Pbondar

35I brake upgrade

Post by Pbondar » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:45 pm

Personally I think it’s more of a reflection on the tuners skill these days...most of the guys I talked to knew where the ‘natural’ limits of the N20 are and just don’t push it.

My guys reckoned that they could have carried on and got some more power but the torque curve would lose a lot of mid range and run the risk of thermal stress on the top end.

I suspect you’ll feel the difference as marked from a 28i baseline but from a 20i baseline it was a revelation :thumbsup:

sumotan

35I brake upgrade

Post by sumotan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 am

Hi Pete
Yes from 20i would be a revelation for 28i you feel more push. Sorted out my OTS issue & went testing last night. It does feels faster but there seems to be a little more lag. Think its to do with the Wagner, frankly before testing I was thinking if I've made the mistake of buying the Wagner, reason its way much too heavier than stock, for track use perhaps its good but for road use I now have my doubts. What's your take on this Pete ?

Many thank again

Pbondar

35I brake upgrade

Post by Pbondar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:14 am

sumotan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 am Hi Pete
Yes from 20i would be a revelation for 28i you feel more push. Sorted out my OTS issue & went testing last night. It does feels faster but there seems to be a little more lag. Think its to do with the Wagner, frankly before testing I was thinking if I've made the mistake of buying the Wagner, reason its way much too heavier than stock, for track use perhaps its good but for road use I now have my doubts. What's your take on this Pete ?

Many thank again
I fitted my evo Wagner Intercooler at the same time as the big turbo kit...the net result was that the torque curve was moved sidewards by about 200-300 rpm or so.

With the de-cat which allows turbo spool up faster already fitted its a complex story..

Reading upon it, it does seem that a larger volume intercooler on its own will induce a bit more lag.

So hard to say..again without a dyno and A-B swapping its not easy with relatively small changes in output to sense the impact.

Certainly with my mods the net result was a trade off of more mid range torque and top end power at the price of a little loss of very bottom end torque :tumbleweed: