Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof button help and advice

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ajguk

Post by ajguk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:36 pm

Hi all

I'm about to receive back my steering wheel retrim from RSW. In the meantime I decided to replace my roof-up button using a great Youtube guide I found on here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7-l_a ... =BMWZ4Mods). I've just put the console back together, and wondered if the button would work....obviously my airbag light is currently on, the new button lights up but doesn't do anything (the roof is up). I can't for the life of me remember if it beeps or not if pressed and the roof is already up - the roof down button appears to be working (the windows drop) but I daren't lower the roof in case I can't get it back up again!

Am I just being paranoid? And as an aside, will the airbag light clear once it's reconnected or do I need some trickery?

Thanks for any help in advance!

edit: I should add the button feels perfect, it fitted and it's definitely depressing a switch

AG
2009 sDrive30i, deep sea blue, ivory

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 pm

You obviously need to try the new button to find out if it works or not, the airbag light will need resetting with a diagnostic tool.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:47 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 pm You obviously need to try the new button to find out if it works or not, the airbag light will need resetting with a diagnostic tool.
Rob
Yes but I don't know if it 'bongs' or not if the roof is already up. At the moment it doesn't seem to do anything, but I'm not 100% sure if that's normal or not. It lights up if that makes a difference.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:48 pm

ajguk wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:47 pm
Smartbear wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 pm You obviously need to try the new button to find out if it works or not, the airbag light will need resetting with a diagnostic tool.
Rob
Yes but I don't know if it 'bongs' or not if the roof is already up. At the moment it doesn't seem to do anything, but I'm not 100% sure if that's normal or not. It lights up if that makes a difference.
I don’t think it “bongs”, just try it.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:49 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:48 pm
ajguk wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:47 pm
Rob
I don’t think it “bongs”, just try it.
Rob
Best wait til it's dry then...

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:10 pm

Lower the windows with the roof down button then use the roof up button to raise them , if that works then there’s a pretty good chance the roof will work
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:15 pm

Chippie wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:10 pm Lower the windows with the roof down button then use the roof up button to raise them , if that works then there’s a pretty good chance the roof will work
Yeah good point - the windows don't go back up on the roof close button. I really can't understand what the issue is, all the other buttons work and the new one does light up. Could it be something to do with the airbag light? I'll wait until my wheel is on then test it on a dry day.

Just tested it again with the doors closed - roof-down button pressed once makes all the windows go down, roof-up does nothing. Really don't fancy taking center console out again but perhaps I'll have to. And to cap it all off the wheel has arrived without the flat-bottom mod I ordered, so it's going back. Mistakes happen and they've been really good about it, plus the new wheel looked ace apart from that, really impressive.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm

You do realise that you are supposed to press and hold the buttons don't you?! It's not one press and release.
A bong will only sound if there is a fault or it's not completed its full travel.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Oh and on the airbag light issue, its because your had the wheel off and the airbag disconnected and then turned the car back on, thus its detected that there is a SRS system error.
This is not respectable via apps like Carly, you'd need minimum of INPA to do this.
Dave

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:02 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm It's not one press and release.
unless you have a smart top... :D :thumbsup:

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:03 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm You do realise that you are supposed to press and hold the buttons don't you?! It's not one press and release.
A bong will only sound if there is a fault or it's not completed its full travel.
Yes no matter how thick I may feel after today, I'm not as daft as that :D

Holding it down does nothing. The windows are going all the way down on one press of the roof-down button and release though, which I could have sworn didn't happen before, I'm sure I used to hold it down.

With regards to the 'bong' noise (best way I can describe it), I thought that happened when you pressed the roof buttons and they couldn't complete due to the boot not being ready or them already being at the end of travel. But as I say, the new roof-up button does nothing. Lights up, feels fine (as in the springy resistance), but...nothing. Hey at least I've got another week or so to think about it!! :headbang:

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:05 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 pm Oh and on the airbag light issue, its because your had the wheel off and the airbag disconnected and then turned the car back on, thus its detected that there is a SRS system error.
This is not respectable via apps like Carly, you'd need minimum of INPA to do this.
Cracking. Pretty sure I had INPA on my laptop a while ago when the handbrake packed in. I'll dig the cable out and give it a whirl, if not I've got a good Indy who'll have no issues.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:56 pm

ajguk wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:03 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm You do realise that you are supposed to press and hold the buttons don't you?! It's not one press and release.

Holding it down does nothing. The windows are going all the way down on one press of the roof-down button and release though, which I could have sworn didn't happen before, I'm sure I used to hold it down.

With regards to the 'bong' noise (best way I can describe it), I thought that happened when you pressed the roof buttons and they couldn't complete due to the boot not being ready or them already being at the end of travel. But as I say, the new roof-up button does nothing. Lights up, feels fine (as in the springy resistance), but...nothing. Hey at least I've got another week or so to think about it!! :headbang:
Wasn't suggesting you're thick, just checking :wink:
So you've followed that fantastic how-to video to change the plastic button and now the roof doesn't work?! Silly question, but has to be asked, did it work last time and how long ago was that?
Assuming everything is all ok, then I'd possible be looking at whether the plug connector is fully inserted into the switch block (a good starting point) it should "click" into place. If that's all ok and it's still not working then I can assure you it's nothing to do with replacing the switch button cover, you'll need to have your codes read (INPA again here).
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:58 pm

clarker63 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:02 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm It's not one press and release.
unless you have a smart top... :D :thumbsup:
Yes indeed :thumbsup: :D
Dave

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:17 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:56 pm
ajguk wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:03 pm

Wasn't suggesting you're thick, just checking :wink:
So you've followed that fantastic how-to video to change the plastic button and now the roof doesn't work?! Silly question, but has to be asked, did it work last time and how long ago was that?
Assuming everything is all ok, then I'd possible be looking at whether the plug connector is fully inserted into the switch block (a good starting point) it should "click" into place. If that's all ok and it's still not working then I can assure you it's nothing to do with replacing the switch button cover, you'll need to have your codes read (INPA again here).
Yes it worked on Sunday without issues. Up/down several times with the engine running. I did try reseating that plug too...you know when you start a job and wish you'd never bothered??? And then the wheel was wrong too which confirmed it. I think I'm cursed today!

I'm going to pull it all out again on Saturday in the daylight!