Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering Wheel Removal

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Stretch

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by Stretch » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:21 pm

Evening All, I’d like to remove my steering wheel and send it for refurb. If I remove it with the battery disconnected can I reconnect the battery once the wheel is off to lock the car? It’s parked on the drive so whilst I could leave it unlocked the windows would presumably stay open? Advice welcome. Thanks 👍🏻

Zed Baron

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by Zed Baron » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:43 pm

Hi if you are using Royals to refurb your steering wheel, then they offer an exchange service, so that you won't have this difficulty.
'Exchange option
If you can’t send or drop off your wheel, we offer two Exchange Options below which allow you to use your car daily. This is subject to availability.
EXCHANGE via POST – We send you the new, same type re-trimmed steering wheel first so you could swap the wheels over yourself/local garage and return your old steering wheel back to us within 2 weeks (recorded delivery required).
You still use your original parts, paddles, plastic trims and buttons. A refundable deposit is required as business protection and will be refunded once we receive your old steering wheel back.'

Luckily I had a spare steering wheel :thumbsup: Be careful when you disconnect the battery that you don't close the boot :oops:

ajguk

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by ajguk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:10 pm

I did exactly this last weekend - and closed the boot. Much headscratching later I remembered (Googled...) that there's a terminal under the bonnet so I hooked up the other car and powered my boot open and have left the battery connected. Must remember to unhook it again and keep the boot open when I refit!!
2009 sDrive30i, deep sea blue, ivory

Stretch

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by Stretch » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi Ajguk

Have you reconnected the battery without the steering wheel in place? Has it thrown up any error codes? Without getting a spare (as above) I can’t see anyway to do this without reconnecting the battery to allow windows to close and the doors to lock. 👍🏻

cerbera

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by cerbera » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:33 pm

I got an airbag error code when I re-connected the battery after removing my steering wheel. I had to take it to my local indy to reset after refitting my refurbed steering wheel.

Zed Baron

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:58 pm

cerbera wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:33 pm I got an airbag error code when I re-connected the battery after removing my steering wheel. I had to take it to my local indy to reset after refitting my refurbed steering wheel.
Luckily I didn't get any airbag errors when I did mine, I did leave the battery disconnected for 30 minutes before taking the airbag/steering wheel off.

Stretch

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by Stretch » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:12 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:58 pm
cerbera wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:33 pm I got an airbag error code when I re-connected the battery after removing my steering wheel. I had to take it to my local indy to reset after refitting my refurbed steering wheel.
Luckily I didn't get any airbag errors when I did mine, I did leave the battery disconnected for 30 minutes before taking the airbag/steering wheel off.
Did you reconnect the battery after so you could lock the car/until the wheel was refitted?

Stretch

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by Stretch » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:24 pm

Sorry Zed Baron I just realised you had a spare steering wheel. I’m looking at Control Customs at the moment and I don’t believe they offer the spare wheel and it only moves at the weekends so it’s not a problem if it’s off the rd fir a week or two.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:49 pm

You are going to get an airbag warning light.. its not the end of the world but will obviously need sorting once your wheel is refitted
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ajguk

Steering Wheel Removal

Post by ajguk » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:38 pm

Stretch wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:22 pm Hi Ajguk

Have you reconnected the battery without the steering wheel in place? Has it thrown up any error codes? Without getting a spare (as above) I can’t see anyway to do this without reconnecting the battery to allow windows to close and the doors to lock. 👍🏻
Hi, yeah just the airbag warning light and a beep. I managed to reverse the car a few feet for washing as the wheels were straight too. New wheel arrives tomorrow!!
2009 sDrive30i, deep sea blue, ivory