Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres.....again, Michelin PS4.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
helmik

Post by helmik » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 am

So my 2016 2.0 is still on runflats, bumpy ride, tram lining etc. The rears are on 2.5mm so need to be changed so though I might take advantage of KwikFits 15% off 4 tyre deal. Looking at Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s. Any thoughts, anyone using them? They are the reinforced versions, is that good or bad please??
Actually, this has led to me searching for more tyre info across the site. I dont want to put runflats on, I don’t like the ride as others have said. The car is not really used in snow or ice but it is out in rain, I have a little DS for crap weather and to keep the miles down on the Z.
The handling currently is abysmal, I guess due to the worn rears, fronts have about 4.5mm left but I think I’m better going non runflats all round instead of mixing them.
So Kwik fit, £450 roughly for the 4.
Why did BMW fit different size tyres front to back, nothing to do with this, just wondered.
Ta
Mick.

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:01 am

Posted this on other thread re PS4's Auto Moto und 18" summer tyre test
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... e-Test.htm

Lots of info to help you decide.
My 2009 35i came with runflat bridgestones -terrible ride- but had expected it as own a 2009 325D e91 SE which was originally on runflats.( Bought SE as didn't want Msport suspension but car has Msport seats and steering wheel)
Change all four to Goodyear Eagle F1's which made a huge difference to ride. Recently got a set of winters for the E91 so Goodyears in garage and after some advice from forum member(I didn't understand offsets) E91 wheels style 287)put the summer wheels onto the Z4
Only one problem Z4 on SORN until end February and resting putting back on road until 1st March.
Goodyears are AS3's so not same as those in report- AS5's but look at difference in noise rating Goodyear no 1 Bridgestones bottom of the table. Big disappointment for me with Z4 is noise levels -expected it to be far quiter than my 2003 E46 330ci but far -far worse and doesn't achieve what I would image the Merc like quality with coupe roof up. Just hoping Goodyears make a big improvement and with E91 not getting a lot of use it could stay on continental non runflat winters all year.
Z4 has adaptive M Sport suspension so comfort with Bridgestone runflats marginally better than the E46.

Everyone has different opinions for me priority is low noise( apart from engine with top down) and comfortable ride.
Keep us posted on what you decide

Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:58 am

There are Michelin pilot sport 4, and pilot sports 4s
I have MPS4s on my 35is and can’t fault them
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:39 am

2k35is wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:01 am Posted this on other thread re PS4's Auto Moto und 18" summer tyre test
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... e-Test.htm

Lots of info to help you decide.
My 2009 35i came with runflat bridgestones -terrible ride- but had expected it as own a 2009 325D e91 SE which was originally on runflats.( Bought SE as didn't want Msport suspension but car has Msport seats and steering wheel)
Change all four to Goodyear Eagle F1's which made a huge difference to ride. Recently got a set of winters for the E91 so Goodyears in garage and after some advice from forum member(I didn't understand offsets) E91 wheels style 287)put the summer wheels onto the Z4
Only one problem Z4 on SORN until end February and resting putting back on road until 1st March.
Goodyears are AS3's so not same as those in report- AS5's but look at difference in noise rating Goodyear no 1 Bridgestones bottom of the table. Big disappointment for me with Z4 is noise levels -expected it to be far quiter than my 2003 E46 330ci but far -far worse and doesn't achieve what I would image the Merc like quality with coupe roof up. Just hoping Goodyears make a big improvement and with E91 not getting a lot of use it could stay on continental non runflat winters all year.
Z4 has adaptive M Sport suspension so comfort with Bridgestone runflats marginally better than the E46.

Everyone has different opinions for me priority is low noise( apart from engine with top down) and comfortable ride.
Keep us posted on what you decide

I too found the run flat Bridgestones incredibly noisy so when I swapped to normal tyres I was keen to find some with a very low noise rating. Went for Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2’s and was so impressed with low noise and general overall performance I put them on my Audi daily when the Continental’s fitted wore out. Others on this forum have commended the Dunlops.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:21 am

If they are in your budget PS4S are the undisputed king of tyres in my (for what its worth) opinion.
I researched them thoroughly before buying, even found info regarding the fact that across all reviews the tyre is compared in it comes out top, cant magine who the hell sits reading every single tyre review and counting the results :cry:
For any of the more poweful cars they are an essential, remember its just 4 palm sized bits of rubber that are keeping you alive!!!
I just need a limited slip on my 35i now zoom zoom :driving:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:47 am

Can't really go wrong with Michelin PS4 or Michelin PS4S - just depends whats available in the sizes you need (PS4S only go down to a 19", lower than that and you'll be going for PS4). but either tyre are excellent.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Michel ... port-4.htm
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Michel ... rt-4-S.htm

as for staggered tyre fitment, BMW did this partly for the aesthetic of having wider rear tyres and the perception of power, but also it tames the handling and encourages a bit of understeer for inexperienced drivers.

All of this is in my opinion. your views may vary, i am not an expert.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:14 am

I didnt particularly like the ps4, they weren't particularly quiet and handling wise although good felt no better than my older, cheaper Vredesteins haven't tried the ps4s.
Currently running Dunlops RT2 and am very impressed, quiet, great handling wet or dry and privide good comfort, definitely an improvement on the ps4 at a similar price point
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

helmik

Post by helmik » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 am

Crikey, tyres are a bit of a minefield!! Thanks for all the info guys, very much appreciated I can assure you. Thanks for the info about the staggered tyre sizes, every day is a school day.
After saying I don’t want runflats, found some good deals on Bridgestones, which is what is on at the moment, but will I have the same issues of tramlining etc if I go for them again?
Cost isn’t really an issue, I was lucky enough to win a campervan which I then sold so finances are pretty good at present, that said once the weather improves the Z will be my daily driver for the summer so I guess I want performance against value for money against safety but buggered if every time I make a decision I look again and change my mind!!!!
But please keep the ideas coming, I’m open to suggestions, info, good and bad.
Once this is done I can start trying to decide which bike to but to replace then sprint ST, now that’s going to be fun!!
Cheers, have a great safe day all,
Mick

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:36 am

Truth is if you look at the summer tyre reviews on Autocar or the like and pick a tyre from the top 10 you are not going to get a bad tyre, they just all have slightly different characteristics and how they feel to each of us is slightly different, most of these tests are testing the performance at nine or ten tenths by accomplished drivers that are capable of pushing them very hard.. chances are you will never get to those levels on a track day let alone the road and any of the tyres tested, even those finishing bottom of the pile, will be more than adequate for the average driver.
The ps4 will be perfectly fine for you, but if cash isn't a concern then you would do better with the ps4s, want the quietest tyre get the Dunlop RT2, want great value/performance combo, hard to beat Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, want a set of runflats that are actually good, the new Pirellis.
Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5s felt like the best tyre I had ever used wet or dry but they were so noisy i hated them but couldn't fault their performance.
So pick on the characteristics you think are important to you and dive in, and remember its easy to get hung up on whats best but at the price point you are looking at theres no bad tyres.. just slightly different :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:52 am

mcbutler wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:21 am If they are in your budget PS4S are the undisputed king of tyres in my (for what its worth) opinion.
I researched them thoroughly before buying, even found info regarding the fact that across all reviews the tyre is compared in it comes out top, cant magine who the hell sits reading every single tyre review and counting the results :cry:
For any of the more poweful cars they are an essential, remember its just 4 palm sized bits of rubber that are keeping you alive!!!
I just need a limited slip on my 35i now zoom zoom :driving:
I too have just purchased a set of PS4S to go with my refurbished summer wheels, I dropped them off yesterday with the alloys and the guy at the alloy centre stated, cool PS4's best tyre on the market :D

OP if you're running 19" then the PS4S is an improvement over the PS4 from every review I've read and perhaps worth spending the extra, Blackcircles have 15% off Michelin :thumbsup:

Here's a excellent comparison
Last edited by sars on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:58 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:36 am Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5s felt like the best tyre I had ever used wet or dry but they were so noisy i hated them but couldn't fault their performance.
I swapped from Bridgestone runflats to Assy 5s and was impressed how much quieter they were.
But I only have that comparison, not tried any others that may well be quieter.
As mine is a mostly fair-weather motor I very rarely have the roof up and therefore tyre noise is less obvious anyway.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:26 am

Before you buy any just check ATS they have an offer buy 2 get £25 off buy 4 get £50 off plus if you back with the Halifax there is a cash back offer of 7%

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:32 am

I think the one thing we can all (well, 95% of us) agree on is ditch the runflats!

but as mr tourette says, pretty much any tyre from the top manufacturers will be good, and a noticeable improvement on the mostly worn runflats you have fitted at the moment.

personally, i went for GY F1 assy5s as they were consistently finishing top 3 in any tyre test they were entered in, but they are a very good price. Previously i've run hankooks, and rate them too. i think money no object i'd run michelins.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:37 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:36 am Truth is if you look at the summer tyre reviews on Autocar or the like and pick a tyre from the top 10 you are not going to get a bad tyre, they just all have slightly different characteristics and how they feel to each of us is slightly different, most of these tests are testing the performance at nine or ten tenths by accomplished drivers that are capable of pushing them very hard.. chances are you will never get to those levels on a track day let alone the road and any of the tyres tested, even those finishing bottom of the pile, will be more than adequate for the average driver.
The ps4 will be perfectly fine for you, but if cash isn't a concern then you would do better with the ps4s, want the quietest tyre get the Dunlop RT2, want great value/performance combo, hard to beat Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, want a set of runflats that are actually good, the new Pirellis.
Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5s felt like the best tyre I had ever used wet or dry but they were so noisy i hated them but couldn't fault their performance.
So pick on the characteristics you think are important to you and dive in, and remember its easy to get hung up on whats best but at the price point you are looking at theres no bad tyres.. just slightly different :thumbsup:
Some aspects of a tyre require hard driving to notice but simple things like straight line grip are quite apparent in normal driving and not just track use. The reason I wouldn't deviate from the PS4S is that it just sticks when taking off.

On a warm dry day I can spin the wheels up in the first 2 gears if pushing too hard but with warmth in the tyres and a rolling on the power I can get traction all the way through 3rd gear which is impressive given the power output.

I've tried Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3, Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and Avon ZZ3 on the Z4 and all of them were capable of spinning in 4th or even 5th (I think the Avons even span in 7th if it was damp). The only other tyre that matched the PS4S was the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which is just the previous version of the PS4S anyway.

For wet grip the PS4S is by far the best out of all I've had on the car. Other aspects like noise, wear rate and comfort come further down the priority list but it excels in those areas too. There's a reason the tyre wins everything and is a staple for OE spec on high performance cars.

helmik

Post by helmik » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:45 am

Cheers all, some fantastic info there, got one last rest day to ponder on this so I’m going to have a look at some of the deals around again.
I’ve got standard wheels so 17”, the PS4S are only from about 18” upwards from what I’ve seen.
Glad to see no one has said stick with runflats!!
Do I need the normal ones or the XL do you think, weight of the car says normal I think.
Now, shall I ask about bikes, superchips and battery’s or leave that for another day!!! :D
Thanks very much for all the advice, love the knowledge available on here,
Mick