Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres.....again, Michelin PS4.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:55 am

R.E92 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:37 am
mr.tourette wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:36 am Truth is if you look at the summer tyre reviews on Autocar or the like and pick a tyre from the top 10 you are not going to get a bad tyre, they just all have slightly different characteristics and how they feel to each of us is slightly different, most of these tests are testing the performance at nine or ten tenths by accomplished drivers that are capable of pushing them very hard.. chances are you will never get to those levels on a track day let alone the road and any of the tyres tested, even those finishing bottom of the pile, will be more than adequate for the average driver.
The ps4 will be perfectly fine for you, but if cash isn't a concern then you would do better with the ps4s, want the quietest tyre get the Dunlop RT2, want great value/performance combo, hard to beat Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, want a set of runflats that are actually good, the new Pirellis.
Goodyear F1 Assymetric 5s felt like the best tyre I had ever used wet or dry but they were so noisy i hated them but couldn't fault their performance.
So pick on the characteristics you think are important to you and dive in, and remember its easy to get hung up on whats best but at the price point you are looking at theres no bad tyres.. just slightly different :thumbsup:
Some aspects of a tyre require hard driving to notice but simple things like straight line grip are quite apparent in normal driving and not just track use. The reason I wouldn't deviate from the PS4S is that it just sticks when taking off.

On a warm dry day I can spin the wheels up in the first 2 gears if pushing too hard but with warmth in the tyres and a rolling on the power I can get traction all the way through 3rd gear which is impressive given the power output.

I've tried Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3, Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and Avon ZZ3 on the Z4 and all of them were capable of spinning in 4th or even 5th (I think the Avons even span in 7th if it was damp). The only other tyre that matched the PS4S was the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which is just the previous version of the PS4S anyway.

For wet grip the PS4S is by far the best out of all I've had on the car. Other aspects like noise, wear rate and comfort come further down the priority list but it excels in those areas too. There's a reason the tyre wins everything and is a staple for OE spec on high performance cars.
Indeed, not debating the ps4s has probably the best all round characteristics and obviously suit your car and driving style, but for the OP going from a 2.0 on run flats I am making the assumption he is using the car in possibly a more average style hence saying choose which characteristics are more important to you.. if he drives a z4m or 35is in all weathers with heavy foot then of course the characteristics you would seek would most likely be those of the ps4s :thumbsup: of course for many of us there are other considerations other than outright performance :)
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 pm

helmik wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:45 am Cheers all, some fantastic info there, got one last rest day to ponder on this so I’m going to have a look at some of the deals around again.
I’ve got standard wheels so 17”, the PS4S are only from about 18” upwards from what I’ve seen.
Glad to see no one has said stick with runflats!!
Do I need the normal ones or the XL do you think, weight of the car says normal I think.
Now, shall I ask about bikes, superchips and battery’s or leave that for another day!!! :D
Thanks very much for all the advice, love the knowledge available on here,
Mick
New Hayabusa is out :D After owning a gen 1 for 18 years Im very tempted, bloody gorgeous. as usual its no Kate Moss but who really wants to ride Kate Moss anyway :D
Attachments
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2021 Details Price Spec (2).jpg
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2021 Details Price Spec (2).jpg (45.68 KiB) Viewed 334 times

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:40 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 pm
helmik wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:45 am Cheers all, some fantastic info there, got one last rest day to ponder on this so I’m going to have a look at some of the deals around again.
I’ve got standard wheels so 17”, the PS4S are only from about 18” upwards from what I’ve seen.
Do I need the normal ones or the XL do you think, weight of the car says normal I think.
Now, shall I ask about bikes, superchips and battery’s or leave that for another day!!! :D
Mick
New Hayabusa is out :D After owning a gen 1 for 18 years Im very tempted, bloody gorgeous. as usual its no Kate Moss but who really wants to ride Kate Moss anyway :D
They have made it slightly better looking, how much are you talking now for that, must be about £18k
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:48 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:40 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 pm
Mick
They have made it slightly better looking, how much are you talking now for that, must be about £18k
16.5 before options.. I'll be waiting for them to hit the used market :D

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:18 pm

Mick
When I purchased my e89 it was on 17’s and then I used those to get a set of winters and then upgraded to 18’s BBS on non run flats F1 A2’s . From memory ride comfort was very similar but I seemed to lose some feel on turn in, to be honest you won’t probably notice much difference.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:37 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:48 pm
Nictrix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:40 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 pm New Hayabusa is out :D After owning a gen 1 for 18 years Im very tempted, bloody gorgeous. as usual its no Kate Moss but who really wants to ride Kate Moss anyway :D
16.5 before options.. I'll be waiting for them to hit the used market :D
Its funny how things change, you never used to get options when buying a bike other than the colour :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:52 pm

Best use of 2 Busa engines I can think of
https://images.app.goo.gl/eUs1DSDjYwxZww727

helmik

Post by helmik » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:23 pm

Busa wouldn’t be any good for me, sadly. I’m 61, nearly 62, use a bike for touring and as I’m planning on buying a house in Bulgaria I need something I can sit up on without being crippled for 5 days afterwards!! So a Triumph Trophy is currently top of the list. Cruise at over a ton, lots of luggage space, more me tbh.
Pilot Sports 4’s ordered by the way!!
Thanks again, now on with the bike chat.
Mick

helmik

Post by helmik » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:19 pm

Quick update. 4 tyres fitted today at home as I’m WFH. Michelin Pilot Sport 4, by Kwikfit, excellent service, took him An hour.
So, out for a test drive and I can honestly say the car has been transformed. Much smoother ride without the runflats, no tramlining, handling and steering back to how it should be. Money well spent. The rears were on the wear bars, even below in places so no surprise it’s better but what is a surprise is how much better.
Now got the fronts to sell as they are still on 6mm so ad in the for sale section.
Thanks for all the advice from everyone, much appreciated.
Mick.

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:22 pm

nice one! they'll take a little bit of bedding in, so full performance will be after 100-200 miles or so. but its an encouraging sign that they feel better straight out the mold too!