Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Question on changing discs and pads please

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
kinger

Post by kinger » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:55 am

Only one sensor per axle, on the drivers side rear and passenger side front,
The rears are pretty easy, just split the motor from the caliper and wind it back with a T sockect
No need to register them, i used the old one but was unable to reset the brake service indicator, as soon as i fitted a new sensor everything was fine.
Touch of copper slip on the threads and on the face of the hub that the wheel touches helps the next time you want to take a wheel off.
Mike

Current - E89 35is Saphire Black
Previous- E89 35i Space Grey

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:34 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:53 pm I just watched a you tube video regards re-setting the handbrake; it looked bl00dy complicated. I will have a look, as I've ordered all the parts now. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll take it (carefully) to my local bloke. Luckily he's only a mile up the road!
I did my rear pads/new sensor recently. isn't that hard to wind the handbrake back. You may have to reset the warning light (mine came on because of time, not because of wear). there are guides online on how to do it. I just didn't realise you have to have the handbrake off when resetting it. otherwise it remains (stubbornly) on, despite all the work you've done :D

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:53 pm

On refitting the rear calipers do not use the ebrake until after you have pumped the pedal to close up the gap between the pads and the disc
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:29 pm

Thanks for all the useful advice as always! :thumbsup:

I left the car with the handbrake off overnight and GOOD NEWS; it doesn't re-apply itself after a period of time which should make the rears that much easier. Just need to remember to chock the other wheels when I lift it.
I will squirt plenty of WD40 into the disc allen bolts and leave that to soak for a while, hopefully should help with removal.

I have ordered 4 No. TRW discs (black painted hubs/spacers), TRW pads all round (red DTEC low dust for the front), two TRW wear sensors and a Blue Print disposable air filter. They came to £288.62 all in delivered.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

maxman

Post by maxman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:29 pm

I would buy new wear sensors,mine fell apart when I tried to take them out.The bolts that hold the motor on the rear calliper are not very strong .Make sure you clean before you insert the torx bit.Thats the only awkward bit.There are YouTube vids showing how to screw the motor back.

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:55 pm

Also don't forget that once you've managed to do the job and you want to reset the brakes service interval you have to do it with the handbrake in the off position :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

kmorgan

Post by kmorgan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:15 pm

I used Carly to put my e-brake into service mode, this fully unwinds the brake.
When I completed replacing pads, discs, sensors, and fluid I simply applied the e-brake as normal i.e. didn't use Carly to take it out of service mode. Worked well for me.

Good luck :)
Z4 sDrive23i Roadster E89 2009

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:34 pm

My pads came with the two sensors included!
If you remove the motors to wind the pistons back dont wind them out to the stop and leave them, wind them back in just a tiny bit, literally 20% of one turn.
If you turn them all the way out against the stop they can stick there....
Its an easy job, think of it as a learning curve.
After all, what could possibly go wrong...........
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:43 pm

kmorgan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:15 pm I used Carly to put my e-brake into service mode, this fully unwinds the brake.
When I completed replacing pads, discs, sensors, and fluid I simply applied the e-brake as normal i.e. didn't use Carly to take it out of service mode. Worked well for me.

That’s strange, I’ve got the Carly app with everything included & it excludes any ebrake controls as not applicable to the e89 models? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

kmorgan

Post by kmorgan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:41 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:43 pm
kmorgan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:15 pm I used Carly to put my e-brake into service mode, this fully unwinds the brake.

That’s strange, I’ve got the Carly app with everything included & it excludes any ebrake controls as not applicable to the e89 models? :?
Rob
Thanks Rob for pointing this out and rattling my brain thinking about how I put my e89 ebrake in to service mode.
After a rethink, I remember borrowing a rather expensive Foxwell bit of kit.
Z4 sDrive23i Roadster E89 2009