Page 5 of 6

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:45 am
by AnubisZed
I've not experienced the red screen as of yet, but two people I've spoken to have had this issue. I have, however, had the pause in the screen raising and the delay in it going down, but as mine is a full retrofit and I installed my MMI box almost immediately then I just put this down to my battery needing replacement (which I've still not done yet).

As for the Vendor willing to investigate, don't hold your breath, they are sellers and quite probably won't bother as it's well beyond their remit.
The red screen is that the screen isn't receiving an image, and as the MMI box is in-between the headunit and screen then the likely cause is the box, press your vendor to replace the box at the earliest opportunity, try not to let them keep offering silly ideas as to what to do as they'll just drag it out until you give up.

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:53 pm
by Roddy
So it seems it isn't only my installation, but maybe a common occurrence :o
If it becomes temperamental, I'll go iDrive only and remove the box.

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:35 pm
by Silverstar
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:45 am The red screen is that the screen isn't receiving an image, and as the MMI box is in-between the headunit and screen then the likely cause is the box, press your vendor to replace the box at the earliest opportunity, try not to let them keep offering silly ideas as to what to do as they'll just drag it out until you give up.
I only get the red screen when I switch off the car but for whatever reason the screen doesn't retract and the red screen comes on, after a minute or so it does switch off. However this only happens on the odd occasion and is never really too bothersome. I just put it down to quirks of the MMI box, I don't think having a replacement box will get rid these quirks. If it happens way too often and becomes bothersome then it's time to speak to the factory.

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:21 am
by AnubisZed
Silverstar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:35 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:45 am The red screen is that the screen isn't receiving an image, and as the MMI box is in-between the headunit and screen then the likely cause is the box, press your vendor to replace the box at the earliest opportunity, try not to let them keep offering silly ideas as to what to do as they'll just drag it out until you give up.
I only get the red screen when I switch off the car but for whatever reason the screen doesn't retract and the red screen comes on, after a minute or so it does switch off. However this only happens on the odd occasion and is never really too bothersome. I just put it down to quirks of the MMI box, I don't think having a replacement box will get rid these quirks. If it happens way too often and becomes bothersome then it's time to speak to the factory.
So far I've not had the red screen on mine but do have the 'slow to react' screen now and again, not really concerned though.
I certainly think though that if anyone's box is showing the red screen when it is new then it really should be resolved straight away (after making sure all screen connections are nice and tight!!), this is something that should not happen.

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:40 am
by Zed Baron
knob.jpg
knob.jpg (109.08 KiB) Viewed 239 times
I had to find out more about this bigger knob... so I got one (£9) and its not that bad! Easy to fit and take back off... if you want to go back to the smaller one! :thumbsup:

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:57 am
by Timmyboybunter
Wheel envy :(

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:39 am
by Argyll Andy
Timmyboybunter wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:57 am Wheel envy :(
Could’ve been worse give the topic Zed Baron posted about :lol:

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:55 am
by Timmyboybunter
It's way too early for all this knob talk. I can't cope :lol:

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:07 pm
by Zed Baron
Timmyboybunter wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:57 am Wheel envy :(
Tim mate sorry to have caused this for you.... but the actual experience of having one in your hands :rofl: thank you Royals

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:17 am
by Timmyboybunter
Does anyone else get increased battery drain *after* using Android Auto?

I expect power to be sucked *during* use but I've noticed my battery then continues to drain faster for the rest of the day, then fine the next day after a reboot.

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 am
by Roddy
Firmware update CHL_V1.2.5 is out, if you are using Andream. Dark setting when lights on is now available, with my phone at least :)

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 am
by Timmyboybunter
Roddy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 am Firmware update CHL_V1.2.5 is out, if you are using Andream. Dark setting when lights on is now available, with my phone at least :)
Thanks - is the dark setting working for you? I've tried all options on mine but it never seems to flip into dark mode, but I'd update the firmware if that was fixed.

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:39 am
by AnubisZed
Timmyboybunter wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 am
Roddy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 am Firmware update CHL_V1.2.5 is out, if you are using Andream. Dark setting when lights on is now available, with my phone at least :)
Thanks - is the dark setting working for you? I've tried all options on mine but it never seems to flip into dark mode, but I'd update the firmware if that was fixed.
If you set you phone to Dark Mode then the MMI screen should also be in Dark Mode. Not all phones are fully Dark Mode compatible though.

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 am
by Timmyboybunter
What I mean is, if I get into the car in the day time - I want the MMI in day mode. If I get into the car at night, I want the MMI in night mode.

I'm way, way, way too busy and important to be changing anything on my phone to achieve the dark mode :D

(I've only half heartedly tried the various options so far as the car isn't getting used much given the current restrictions - the end in sight though)

MMI installation - question for the master

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:22 am
by Roddy
Timmyboybunter wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 am
Roddy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 am Firmware update CHL_V1.2.5 is out, if you are using Andream. Dark setting when lights on is now available, with my phone at least :)
Thanks - is the dark setting working for you? I've tried all options on mine but it never seems to flip into dark mode, but I'd update the firmware if that was fixed.
Yes it's working. Switches with headlights.
P_20210409_171310.jpg
P_20210409_171310.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 73 times
P_20210409_171318.jpg
P_20210409_171318.jpg (54.85 KiB) Viewed 73 times