Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MMI installation - question for the master

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:23 pm

Ok well I'm totally confuddled now :lol:
Yeah well the MMI will still work and I'd go with my original idea then, try it without the AUX plugged in and if it doesn't work then you'll have to run it and plug it into the socket in the armrest. :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

pariahrob

Post by pariahrob » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm

@AnibisZed Related question. In your install video your idrive controller looks different/bigger. What is this as I think I’d prefer a larger one, after using a bigger controller in a friends car.
Cheers!
Rob

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:10 am

pariahrob wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm @AnibisZed Related question. In your install video your idrive controller looks different/bigger. What is this as I think I’d prefer a larger one, after using a bigger controller in a friends car.
Cheers!
Rob
What can I say, I like to have a big knob!! :rofl:
It's a lager one that slips over the original one, available from eBay, alliexpress, Amazon etc It illuminates the same as the original as well.
Dave

pariahrob

Post by pariahrob » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:31 pm

Haha. Good to know.
Thanks to you my MMI install went smoothly today. All works well and zero lag when switching to pdc. Mine seems to startup on CarPlay so that’s good.
Only thing to fix is to make it so Siri doesn’t shout at me. Currently way louder than music. But this thread has tips for that too.
Thanks Dave!
Attachments
2687E714-F2EC-42F4-BE3C-01227E047FD0.jpeg
2687E714-F2EC-42F4-BE3C-01227E047FD0.jpeg (135.75 KiB) Viewed 1390 times

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:08 am

Here's a funny one, to start the week off.

Popped out at the weekend to drop Mother's day gift off - slightly annoyed to find the MMI box all working fine (including answering back to me as normal) EXCEPT that music was not playing; the time on each track was ticking up, but no sound coming out. Tutted to myself and assumed a reboot would probably sort it next time I got in the car.

Arrived home, parked the car up, entered the house - to find music playing from the Alexa device we have in the kitchen. I was streaming TO this device from my phone before leaving in the car, so I obviously had not broken the connection before Android Auto fired up in the car and started playing again.

I'm sure the dog found in entertaining, albeit wondering why tracks kept skipping on him :rofl:
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 am

I get this with Spotify, you have to click an icon on the phone to tell Spotify to switch devices

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:24 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:10 am
pariahrob wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm @AnibisZed Related question. In your install video your idrive controller looks different/bigger. What is this as I think I’d prefer a larger one, after using a bigger controller in a friends car.
Cheers!
Rob
It's a lager one that slips over the original one, available from eBay, alliexpress, Amazon etc It illuminates the same as the original as well.
Hi Dave, have sent you a PM (not about your knob). :rofl:

Damian

Damo

Post by Damo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 am

Cheers!
Rob

Damian

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:53 am

Damo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 am
Cheers!
Rob

Damian
Replied :thumbsup:
Dave

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:16 am

Updated my firmware yesterday, there is no information regarding updates on the vender's web page, just have to ask.
In fairness, their response to questions is very good :thumbsup:
Went from V1.1.2 to V1.1.5, no idea what differences there are yet.

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:47 am

Haven't seen much written about negative issues found with these units, but I have a couple of niggles.
Occasionally when I put my fob in the hole, the screen doesn't open. Not so often but enough to p*ss me off. Is this MMI related or does that happen sometimes anyway.
Second thing I tried earlier, using the audio with ignition off. I pushed the button on the CD/DVD player, screen opened but it was red. Switched off and tried again, this time it was OK, opened to the iDrive audio menu.

I'll contact the vendor about this, but wondered have you all found anything untoward.

Edit: Tried a few more times, usually it opens on ignition, when it didn't I just left it and after a delay of maybe 10~15 seconds it opened.
I'll keep an eye on it. Some web searching tells me I'm not the only one to have screen opening or closing issues

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:21 am

I've noticed a couple of similar things. Mine does seem to leave the screen 'open' quite regularly when I shut off the car, which it never did prior to installing the MMI. The screen will then shut when the car cuts power to everything (ciggy lighter, modules etc etc) about 40 seconds after locking. Not sure if I've noticed the screen NOT opening when inserting my fob - it wouldn't bother me anyway, as I'd actually prefer it if the car didn't do that :)

(do you have one of your shortcut buttons mapped to open/shut the screen? I have button '8' set to do this and use it all the time - unless my 8 year old is in the car who insists I do it using the car's voice control, which is rubbish 95% of the time but does seem to consistently understand this command!)

A few times I've noticed the screen is coloured all green or red too - again, I just assume it is still receiving a video signal from the MMI box which at that point is carrying no content.

For £160 I can forgive these minor quirks really (still in lockdown here though, so the car is being used very infrequently)
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Timmyboybunter wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:21 am
For £160 I can forgive these minor quirks really
I thought that too :D

So, screen has stayed open or stayed closed a few times, so far I have just removed and re-inserted the fob which usually rectifies the issue.
I tested again after I posted, inserted the fob about 10 times. 8 it opened immediately, twice not, but this time I waited and after some delay bingo. As I mentioned maybe 10~15 seconds. I haven't tried that with the not closing situation though.

The red screen was only when using audio with ignition off, which I never usually do anyway. Again it was just sporadic.

I have set one of my buttons to open/close on demand, I'll try that next time.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:12 am

Roddy the issues you have mentioned definitely are related to the Mmi box.

I never had any kind of issues prior to installing the Mmi box but since installing on the odd occasions have similar issues screen not opening or closing and having a red screen etc. But they don't happen that often at all and is easily rectified.

None of those issues really bother me since they don't occur that often at all and the benefits of the box far outweigh any negatives.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:37 am

Silverstar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:12 am Roddy the issues you have mentioned definitely are related to the Mmi box.
Thanks for that confirmation. Vendor has been made aware and asked for video of the problems if possible so I assume they are willing to investigate.