Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MMI installation - question for the master

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:10 am

Great result, congrats - I felt the same after finishing, I'm not supple or small enough to be messing around in cramped cars in the freezing cold for hours at a time! (I also feel your pain on the glovebox - I think I would have had a little cry if I had to do that whole removal and refit twice)

Strange what you're seeing with regards to the bluetooth connection though, no noticeable lag from what I've tested.
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 am

Just need to get used to it I think. One issue maybe have been I was outside the house, phone was trying to pick up a weak wifi signal instead of 4G? I'll go out for a drive tomorrow and test it. First impressions: Google maps on satellite view, very nice. Sound through the aux is shite, need to play with it some more.
Any clues on optimum settings would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 am

Roddy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 am Sound through the aux is shite, need to play with it some more.
Have a look at the last few replies above - should point you in the right direction on what needs to be tweaked :thumbsup:
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:31 am

Timmyboybunter wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 am
Roddy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 am Sound through the aux is shite, need to play with it some more.
Have a look at the last few replies above - should point you in the right direction on what needs to be tweaked :thumbsup:
Thanks. Tested again this morning after some adjustments, the sound is definitely better.
BUT, still issues with bluetooth and my phone, Zenfone 7. Got in the car and phone told me it was connected to Android auto. Switched to Android auto and Google maps popped up and seemed OK except when I tried to set a route I got a message saying offline on the map. Also when I tried Spotify it said couldn't connect. Rebooted everything and changed to wired connection, this time it was OK, I listened to some UK radio to test the sound.
So looks like I'll be wired from now on :|
Another question, I switch off the car when using Android, when I restart the iDrive menu is default, is that normal? I don't mind it, will stop my wife getting confused when she drives it!

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:41 am

Does your phone function ok on its own in the same location? It sounds like either your phone signal isn't good enough, or as you say there is an issue with connection between your phone and the MMI unit - where did you put the aerial in the end?

I couldn't find any setting about 'starting' in MMI mode rather than iDrive - when I thought about it a bit further, as it usually takes a short while to get fully into e.g. Google maps I wouldn't actually want it to start with the MMI options menu as it looks a bit rubbish, so I'm happy with starting with iDrive then a quick press, should I want to, to then bring up Android Auto.
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Timmyboybunter wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:41 am Does your phone function ok on its own in the same location? It sounds like either your phone signal isn't good enough, or as you say there is an issue with connection between your phone and the MMI unit - where did you put the aerial in the end?

oks a bit rubbish, so I'm happy with starting with iDrive then a quick press, should I want to, to then bring up Android Auto.
Yes the phone works perfectly well in the same location, it's connected to iDrive, maybe that's an issue?
The antenna is in the glovebox, and I left that open for testing. Wired it works perfectly, so I've reset BT on the unit and my phone to avoid nagging when I get in :D

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:13 pm

From a fresh start the iDrive will start in the last used iDrive menu (Nav, Music, Radio etc) but not in the MMI setting as that is not an iDrive menu. So, yes you will always have to press and hold the MENU button to access it.

On the point of connection, then this is entierly down to the phone. Don't forget that the Zenfone 7 is not an officially recognised Wireless Android Auto phone, so there could still be problem with the wireless connection. Also it's always best to consult your box supplier and see if you are running the latest software as there are inprovements all the time, eg; since the latest update for mine my connection for my Samsung A70 is already connected by the time I've presed the MENU button, so it's improved it's conectivity.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:22 am

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:13 pm
On the point of connection, then this is entierly down to the phone. Don't forget that the Zenfone 7 is not an officially recognised Wireless Android Auto phone, so there could still be problem with the wireless connection. Also it's always best to consult your box supplier and see if you are running the latest software as there are inprovements all the time, eg; since the latest update for mine my connection for my Samsung A70 is already connected by the time I've presed the MENU button, so it's improved it's conectivity.
I tried my Zenfone 5 with Android 9, can't see that at all, 7 connects but temperamental, on the plus side the box can find my neighbours TV :D
I can live with wired, I'll contact the company anyway to check for updates.
P_20210305_091126.jpg
P_20210305_091126.jpg (89.14 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:25 pm

In my case the car almost always starts already in Apple CarPlay but on the odd occasion it starts in the native BMW Idrive screen and I have to hold and press the Menu button for 3 seconds but as I say usually always starts in CarPlay mode.

Not sure if there is a difference between Android Auto and CarPlay for this to happen?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:23 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:25 pm In my case the car almost always starts already in Apple CarPlay but on the odd occasion it starts in the native BMW Idrive screen and I have to hold and press the Menu button for 3 seconds but as I say usually always starts in CarPlay mode.

Not sure if there is a difference between Android Auto and CarPlay for this to happen?
Yeah now you mention it I think it did it on my box a couple of times my wife was in the car with her iPhone.
Dave

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:13 am

Jumping into this thread with what I hope is an easy-answer question (but I couldn't really find an answer on the website last night when I looked).
I've seen similar things to this before, and they always depend on you having the factory fitted USB socket in the centre storage bin. I only have the AUX socket (and a 12V cigarette lighter socket).
Does this MMI work with my 'poverty spec' audio setup?
Cheers.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:48 am

enzed4 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:13 am Jumping into this thread with what I hope is an easy-answer question (but I couldn't really find an answer on the website last night when I looked).
I've seen similar things to this before, and they always depend on you having the factory fitted USB socket in the centre storage bin. I only have the AUX socket (and a 12V cigarette lighter socket).
Cheers.
So you've got iDrive but with no USB? Do you have Bluetooth?
Well It's not a problem, because with this unit you don't need USB all you need is AUX.

Now as you've not got USB (and I'm assuming you don't have Bluetooth) then you probably don't have a MULF or Combox, so in that case your AUX signal would go directly to the back of the headunit (the normal route would be to the MULF/Combox and then via the optical to the headunit). So I believe the adaptor loom wiring for the back of the headunit has the sound output directly into the back of the headunit (as well as a fly-lead that goes to the AUX) so you may get away without having to run the AUX lead to the armrest. But you would have to test this before screwing everything back together.
Dave

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:48 am

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:48 am
enzed4 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:13 am Jumping into this thread with what I hope is an easy-answer question (but I couldn't really find an answer on the website last night when I looked).
Cheers.
Well It's not a problem, because with this unit you don't need USB all you need is AUX.

Now as you've not got USB (and I'm assuming you don't have Bluetooth) then you probably don't have a MULF or Combox, so in that case your AUX signal would go directly to the back of the headunit (the normal route would be to the MULF/Combox and then via the optical to the headunit). So I believe the adaptor loom wiring for the back of the headunit has the sound output directly into the back of the headunit (as well as a fly-lead that goes to the AUX) so you may get away without having to run the AUX lead to the armrest. But you would have to test this before screwing everything back together.
Thanks for the reply. I did have BT, but it was only for phone calls - there was no music streaming (A2DB) function. The dealer I bought the car from eventually fitted a Kufatec Fiscon unit which uses the CD output to provide BT music streaming, but it's not as integrated as the MMI seems to be (there's no output to the nav screen, which I'd like).

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:25 am

enzed4 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:48 am Thanks for the reply. I did have BT, but it was only for phone calls - there was no music streaming (A2DB) function. The dealer I bought the car from eventually fitted a Kufatec Fiscon unit which uses the CD output to provide BT music streaming, but it's not as integrated as the MMI seems to be (there's no output to the nav screen, which I'd like).
Arr OK, so I'd assume then that you'll have a MULF for the Bluetooth (OEM), which'll be mounted on the panel between the boot and cockpit, behind the carpet section in the boot (if that makes sense? :? ).
So, your AUX will go there then and not directly to the headunit. But that does mean that (in principle, as it would all need checking) you could fit the combined AUX/USB socket in the armrest, and then run the new USB cable to the MULF which would all then work from the iDrive system (USB plugs into the black connector on the MULF, as in the photo).

When you go to MEDIA option on the iDrive, and then into External Sources, there will be an AUX available option but is there anything else? Maybe a greyed out USB? As in the second photo.
Attachments
image1.jpeg.jpg
image1.jpeg.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 959 times
gkjhjghj.jpg
gkjhjghj.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Dave

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:30 pm

enzed4 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:48 am
AnubisZed wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:48 am
Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. I did have BT, but it was only for phone calls - there was no music streaming (A2DB) function. The dealer I bought the car from eventually fitted a Kufatec Fiscon unit which uses the CD output to provide BT music streaming, but it's not as integrated as the MMI seems to be (there's no output to the nav screen, which I'd like).
Thanks again. Apologies if this is hijacking the thread, but it seems on-topic.
I have the 3.5mm Aux in the armrest. There is no USB option under 'AUX', not even greyed out, so as you say, no MULF/Combox.
Here is the panel in the boot of the car, with the Kufatec Unit on the left:
BT03s.jpg
BT03s.jpg (148.63 KiB) Viewed 942 times
On the iDrive, I select CD/Multimedia, then CD/DVD, Tel Control, Start, and then can play music via bluetooth using the steering wheel controls (after pairing the phone using the factory BT pairing option under 'Telephone'.
Attachments
BT07s.jpg
BT07s.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 942 times