Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Buying a higher mileage 28i: ill advised?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TonyV

Post by TonyV » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:37 pm

i suspect a lot of people ask similar questions, so I apologize for the redundancy. I recently sold my e85 with an eye towards purchasing an e89 to use as a daily driver. The e85 and my current 128i daily driver both have been very reliable with the NA 6 cylinder (no problems other than the usual gaskets), so my plan has been to find a nice 30i. However, there just aren't a lot out there, and 2011 is getting kind of old for a car I'm planning to drive every day for 4-5 years. So I'm looking at a 2015 28i with 85k miles. I'm aware of the timing chain issues but I believe this car was built after the revision. So, 28i owners, am I crazy to even think about putting another 50k miles on an n20? I do plan on purchasing a 3 year extended warranty but I'd still like a reliable car since I won't have a backup.

Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:52 am

If it’s the right car at the right price, I don’t think miles are going to be an issue.
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:31 am

I'm a newbie so not a lot of knowledge about engine reliability problems but having recently bought a 59 reg35i dct I had concerns about car reliability and after looking at z4's for years bought one that had a BMW warranty in place (had been under warranty all its life)
With out recovery and a £250 excess this costs about £40 per month. So major disasters such as turbo ot variable damper replacements will only cost a max of £250.So if you can't find a 3litre would buy one and take out the BMW assured warranty
If this has worked sort on autotrader give following results for 2.8 with less than 60k miles(price increase substantially above 60k miles)
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search ... eage=60000

Good look with search
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 pm

I’d personally be happier with an older/higher mileage 30i as that engine has a well proven track record for reliability/longevity and as mentioned may still be able to go onto a warranty.

I’m not adverse to the N20’s but just more things like turbos and timing chains etc to take into account as the mileage climbs. The plus point for them is the tune-ability of that engine compared to the 30i. I’d also say if you’re going for a 28i that brings the 18i/20i into the equation as they’re pretty well the same car with a different remap. £300 will see them all with the same power output, around 270/280 safely without issue if the base car is good.

There’s a few lower mileage 2013/14 30i’s (at a ££ premium) about so they aren’t all older :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

john-e89
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:58 pm

Don’t be put off, nothing at all wrong with high mileage as far as the head and block are concerned, it’s just the bolt ons that need changing and care, along with regular oil changes obvs. :thumbsup:
    M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
    MR2 MK 2
    E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
    E89 35is
    G29

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:56 pm

What I would do is if you want to buy it but get a warranty cover for the first year...get it serviced including the diff n tranny oils and check the status on the cam chain/oil pump drive and turbo feed which all should be the later revisions..

Then either keep the warranty running or just keep it loved with annual /5k mile oil changes with decent oil and mahle filters..

Personally I would look at the 20i and maybe 18i although the 18i tend to be underspecced..

Generally you can buy 20i models at better prices and there are 10 times as many in the uk then re-map it.. :thumbsup:

The 18i seem to remap even better than the 20i..

Smartbear
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 pm I’d personally be happier with an older/higher mileage 30i as that engine has a well proven track record for reliability/longevity and as mentioned may still be able to go onto a warranty.

I’m not adverse to the N20’s but just more things like turbos and timing chains etc to take into account as the mileage climbs. The plus point for them is the tune-ability of that engine compared to the 30i. I’d also say if you’re going for a 28i that brings the 18i/20i into the equation as they’re pretty well the same car with a different remap. £300 will see them all with the same power output, around 270/280 safely without issue if the base car is good.

There’s a few lower mileage 2013/14 30i’s (at a ££ premium) about so they aren’t all older :thumbsup:
    I think the 30i was discontinued by 2011 with the introduction of the 2.0 cars :?
    Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
    e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
    e85 3.0si sold

TonyV

Post by TonyV » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks for the advice all, you've assuaged my worries about the n20 a bit. I'm in the US so my choices are the 30i or 28i. Or 35i and 35is but those are a little pricier and I'm concerned about the long term reliability there as well. I have spotted a couple of very low mileage 30i but one is the wrong color and the other is $4000 too high at a no haggle dealer. I know the right one will come along, I just have to exercise some patience and pounce when I find the right car, regardless of which engine. Fortunately I have an excellent BMW only shop right down the street who will thoroughly vet whatever I bring in.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:44 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:42 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 pm I’d personally be happier with an older/higher mileage 30i as that engine has a well proven track record for reliability/longevity and as mentioned may still be able to go onto a warranty.

I think the 30i was discontinued by 2011 with the introduction of the 2.0 cars :?
    Rob
    Rob I didn’t realise that. It must’ve been older unregistered stock I was seeing like this one that were lying in dealers as folk would’ve been opting for the newer models. That’ll explain why there wasn’t many around when I was looking. Funnily enough they were all white the ones I saw. :thumbsup:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... =on&page=2

The last one I saw was a 63 plate in white. Private sale but it was about £16.5k :o

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:22 pm

The 28i is already a better handling nippier version of the 30i in US road tests..some people need a 6 cylinder soundtrack..that’s the only advantage the 30i offers..the 28i has better balance and less weight in front of the front axle resulting in sharper handling...

The 8 sped auto in the 28i is markedly better than either the 6 speed manual in either car and also the 6 speed auto in the 30i..

Chassis wise they are otherwise identical..

A mild re-map will take the 28i to substantially exceed the performance of a 30i...

For more money around 2000 usd you can get an OE quality mild turbo upgrade and re-map to match at least the 35i in performance

See bimmerworld big turbo kit..