Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

To Cover or not to Cover

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Beano

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Beano » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:28 pm

Hi everyone.
Just wondering peoples thoughts on outdoor covers.
I recently brought a E89 3.0l M Sport highline which I would like to try & protect especially during the winter month's & limited use & have no usable garage space.
So I purchased a pucker used BMW E89 cover from Ebay.
But the car seems to get so wet under the cover from condensation that I'm thinking I maybe doing more harm than good in using it.
What are your thoughts & experiences please.?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:43 pm

I have a similar problem as I have no garage, just allocated parking.

When I bought my Z4M Coupe last December it came with an outdoor Stormforce 3 layer cover, but after reading the instructions I sold it!

The car had to be clean and dry before putting the cover on (which could take days this time of year) and I've seen rubbed paint on the corners of cars that have been under covers when the wind blows the cover around. Cars are built to be out in the rain so mine is, for better or worse.

The other issue for me would be finding somewhere to put the cover when I wanted to take the car out!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Zedebee » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:59 pm

Mine lives in a garage, but I use a Stormforce cover if it has to stay outside. I would say really good if your car is going to be laid up outside for a while, but not practical if you’re using it regularly for the reasons given by Mr Tidy. The Stormforce covers pack up nicely into a hold-all sized bag, so there’s no problem keeping it in the boot when not in use.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by flybobbie » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:07 am

I've covered my car every day for 8 years, had no problems. Stormforce cover.
I have to park under a tree, (leaves, twigs, seeds, sap, Pterodactyl poo).
My cover is made of a grey material, it's not plastic.
Only just starting to fall apart around the mirror area.
To remove it roll it from the rear and then the front to the mirrors, then fold and lift.
So very easy to put back on when windy.

Roddy

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Roddy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:43 am

I used a Coverite cover on my previous ragtop, dry as a bone after heavy rain :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:02 am

I've been considering this but my thoughts are i would like to keep using the car through winter on clear dry days (as long as there's no salt lingering) and a cover would just have me sorning it and not bothering, so a good polish, coat of winter wax and a hydrophobic sealant over the top is my new winter cover :D :driving:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Chris_D » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:32 am

Stormforce cover here. Bought from a forum member and has been a solid investment.
Got it to help avoid a water ingress problem initially but it’s now used on a regular basis as my car is used infrequently and stored outside.

No condensation issues as the material breathes and I don’t worry about paint damage from rubbing as even in heavy wind it hasn’t been noticeable. Even if you do incur any rubbing then a quick detail with a DA would sort any marks.

Good fit, folds and stores into a bag easily. Does what it says on the tin.
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Number5 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:46 am

OP you say you have “no useable garage space”. That implies you have a garage but its full ?
Is it not worth purchasing a garden shed, decanting everything into that in order to be able to use your garage for your car ?

I live in a cul-de-sac of 6 houses all with double garages I’m the only one who puts my cars away. Everyone else’s are just bursting with crap that could be in a shed (or skipped!)

Alternatively look for a car storage unit.
I pay approx £60/month to store some of mine so even if just Dec,Jan & Feb, £180 may be worth it. ?
Attachments
B54FE143-E405-48CC-8983-3A6A942BC67E.jpeg
B54FE143-E405-48CC-8983-3A6A942BC67E.jpeg (266.41 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Pbondar

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Pbondar » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:26 am

Beano wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:28 pm Hi everyone.
Just wondering peoples thoughts on outdoor covers.
I recently brought a E89 3.0l M Sport highline which I would like to try & protect especially during the winter month's & limited use & have no usable garage space.
So I purchased a pucker used BMW E89 cover from Ebay.
But the car seems to get so wet under the cover from condensation that I'm thinking I maybe doing more harm than good in using it.
What are your thoughts & experiences please.?
There are car covers and car covers...depending on the design / price some are more ‘dust covers’ than all weather covers...

I had a lightweight BMW single skin version which kept bird poo etc off but did suffer from bad condensation...I sold it and bought a premium grade 4 layer version which is much better for weather here in Scotland up in the hills..

However as others say it’s absolutely essential to ensure that all road dirt is removed before use otherwise you will get a sanding effect using the dirt against the paint..

So they can be very useful providing you adhere to that golden rule..

So I do use it but again if I think I’m going to use it in the next few days I don’t bother ...it’s a faff doing a thorough wash before putting the cover on..

Again the pollution in built up areas is a pro factor for using one plus no doubt it helps on the prying eyes / sticky fingers issue.. :thumbsup:

Busterboo

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Busterboo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:39 am

All yellow zeds with stick-on spoilers should be covered. Permanently. :wink:
Vidi, vici, veni

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:58 am

Busterboo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:39 am All yellow zeds with stick-on spoilers should be covered. Permanently. :wink:
So should some gobs :D :poke: :D

Pbondar

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Pbondar » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:12 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:58 am
Busterboo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:39 am All yellow zeds with stick-on spoilers should be covered. Permanently. :wink:
Boys boys ...tis the season to be jolly...let’s extend the warm hands of humanity to all those who are disillusioned, disaffected and malcontent....

Beano

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by Beano » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks all some good advice.
Perhaps I've brought the cover from someone who didn't like the condensation issue either.
Proving just because its from the manufacturer & a good fit doesn't mean its quality . :( :(

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Beano wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:37 pm Thanks all some good advice.
Perhaps I've brought the cover from someone who didn't like the condensation issue either.
Proving just because its from the manufacturer & a good fit doesn't mean its quality . :( :(
Stormforce is generally the way to go for a good quality breathable outdoor cover
:thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

To Cover or not to Cover

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:12 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:58 am
Boys boys ...tis the season to be jolly...let’s extend the warm hands of humanity to all those who are disillusioned, disaffected and malcontent....
I'm sure Buster will take it in the good humour it was intended :D