Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intake Charge Pipe Leaks anyone ???

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sumotan

Post by sumotan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:16 am

Hi Gents,
Wonder if anyone has expeience this. Off late I notice that during warm up the engine does not idle that consistently.
This morning took the car our for a drive waited for oil temp to reach 90 C switched to Sport+ accelerated & there was a stutter around 1800-2000 rpm mark during gear change. Drove home took a look & noticed the intake charge pipe wiggles when I twist it, yes Im aware that it's suppose to be sealed by O rings but I do wonder if aging O rings might lead to air leaks. It does look too loose to me. Your thoughts Gents.

Cheers

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:25 am

sumotan wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:16 am Hi Gents,
Wonder if anyone has expeience this. Off late I notice that during warm up the engine does not idle that consistently.
This morning took the car our for a drive waited for oil temp to reach 90 C switched to Sport+ accelerated & there was a stutter around 1800-2000 rpm mark during gear change. Drove home took a look & noticed the intake charge pipe wiggles when I twist it, yes Im aware that it's suppose to be sealed by O rings but I do wonder if aging O rings might lead to air leaks. It does look too loose to me. Your thoughts Gents.

Cheers
They do “wiggle” you’re best off scanning the car to see if any codes appear :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

sumotan

Post by sumotan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:48 am

Thanks Smartbear looks like I've got to quickly get my self a scanner.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 pm

N20s unlike N54s don’t seem to suffer from weak charge pipes and associated plumbing...

If you did have a leak you would normally get a yellow or red bong with something like ‘boost implausibly’ error message or another cryptic one..IMHO..

BIMMERGEEKS Protool is a good one if you cheap android phone..better than Carly ..nearly as good as the factory tool box..

BadgerDog

Post by BadgerDog » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:36 am

+1 for protool. THings are often hidden (had to figure out that basic SMOG readiness is under functions under the engine section for example) but it can do a lot.

sumotan

Post by sumotan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 am

Thanks again Gents for your kind support. Strange though is on comfort mod car drives smoothly no hiccups but when in sport+ it studders.
Dash no warnings etc. Looks like I've got to scan & see if there's faults etc. Sigh another steep learing curve for this oldman. LOL

Many thanks again Gents

Leek78

Post by Leek78 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:32 am

my turbo inlet pipe had cracked right at the turbo. i was getting very high MPG. New pipe and all sorted
2012 2.0 white S drive M sport, 19'' 9J & 10J M5 343 replicas, Diamond grill, i-drive, Stage 1, stubby, :thumbsup:

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 pm

If the charge pipe leaks you will hear it whistle and feel the loss of power you are used to (even in an N20 :poke: ). You may also get smoking from the exhaust. Codes shoud appear which may well be 'low boost' etc
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather