Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bleed brakes with wheels on

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ClumUK

Post by ClumUK » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:19 pm

Quick question for you guys, 35is with 19" wheels, can the brakes be bled with the wheels left on? And if so, would a garage choose to do it this way when carrying out a brake fluid change as part of a service?

Cheers
2010 BMW Z4 35is (E89) - Deep Sea Blue Metallic
2016 Mini Cooper S - LapisLuxury Blue
1998 Toyota MR2 GT T-Bar Mk2 Rev5 - Orange Mica
----------------------------------
2003 Honda S2000 GT - Spa Yellow Pearl
1996 Toyota Celica ST Gen6 - Lucerne Silver

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:48 pm

I’d say yes and with a lift probably a lot easier and quicker than taking the wheels off
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Its possible but is it advisable.. No.

Brake fluid is nasty stuff for paint and if it spills onto your wheels or gets on a body panel you will regret it, add to that the lack of space to work and difficulty with access for hands and tools.... for the sake of 60seconds to remove the wheel, I'd just remove the wheel. :thumbsup:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:53 pm Its possible but is it advisable.. No.

Brake fluid is nasty stuff for paint and if it spills onto your wheels or gets on a body panel you will regret it, add to that the lack of space to work and difficulty with access for hands and tools.... for the sake of 60seconds to remove the wheel, I'd just remove the wheel. :thumbsup:
I'd agree with all the above, but I suspect a garage would go for the easy route while it's up on a ramp.
So it would be wise to keep your wheels clean and sealed if possible, then plenty of water and a clean up as soon as it's home, just in case.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pickster

Post by Pickster » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Chippie wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:48 pm I’d say yes and with a lift probably a lot easier and quicker than taking the wheels off
I'd agree with this , My local Indy does the brakes on both my Zed and 320D with the wheels on.

JamieZ4C

Post by JamieZ4C » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:49 pm

I'd agree that with the wheels on is perfectly normal. As long as the risk of spilt fluid is mitigated with the careful use of a rag, then I don't see the problem. It's just an efficient way of doing the job.

Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:50 pm

If you're doing it at home, the time saved in not removing the wheel would probably be offset by the buggeration caused by the of lack of space, lack of easy vision, probability of having more cleaning than necessary (had a bleed pipe pop off when using a "one person" kit) even if you have a spare bucket of water, it's still a faff.

ClumUK

Post by ClumUK » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to identify which idiot overtightened my locking wheel nuts costing me £100 to get them welded off and replaced today, and wondered if it could have been from the service I had two weeks ago so I can avoid them in future :x
2010 BMW Z4 35is (E89) - Deep Sea Blue Metallic
2016 Mini Cooper S - LapisLuxury Blue
1998 Toyota MR2 GT T-Bar Mk2 Rev5 - Orange Mica
----------------------------------
2003 Honda S2000 GT - Spa Yellow Pearl
1996 Toyota Celica ST Gen6 - Lucerne Silver

Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 pm

I was at my local indy a while back, they had a three foot long wrench and two of them hanging off it (then me) - the wheel had been put on by a cheapo tyre place, not only had they cross threaded the nut, it'd been over tightened too. Mechanic was not a happy bunny.

Said it seems that some of these places use the air wrench first rather than finger tight, then nipping up

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 am

Depends what they did on the service,ordinarily I wouldn't expect wheels to come off unless they changed pads - pad wear can be seen without taking the wheels off with the car on a ramp.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:17 am

Jasonn wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 pm Said it seems that some of these places use the air wrench first rather than finger tight, then nipping up
From my experience 99% of garages I have come across use the dreaded air wrench to tighten the wheel nut back on.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:03 am

All of them do - tyre places often use a torque wrench to do final tightening though (to avoid liability issues). Its not often i stand a watch a normal workshop doing their thing though but if you have a windy gun then you'd use it! Time is money and all that. :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 am

Rockhopper wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:03 am All of them do - tyre places often use a torque wrench to do final tightening though (to avoid liability issues). Its not often i stand a watch a normal workshop doing their thing though but if you have a windy gun then you'd use it! Time is money and all that. :D
But how much of that is 'bullsh*t baffles brains'?
After they tighten up with the airgun, does the torque wrench ever actually turn, or just click?
A lot of gullible folk may think the click = correct torque, whereas we all know it just means the nut is at a minimum of the correct torque.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:18 am

Yes, true.

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:37 pm

It is common practice to not lubricate wheel nuts.
I personlly disagree and have always lubricated wheel nuts.
Clean Oil and Grease on the Lock nut especially.
Never had a whell come off or loosen, always check after tyre changes.
Also put a film of grease on the alloy wheel where it meets the hub unless you have those plastic shims that go between.
I shall probably be shot down in flames now.
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes