Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speaker rings

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jasonn

Speaker rings

Post by Jasonn » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:46 pm

Lock down is finally getting to me - I'm looking to improve the sound now.

Looks like it's a choice between MB Quartz, Crunch DSX42s ar the Eton plug and play.

Now comes the question, with the Etons it looks like an easy swap, with the MBs I'll need a harness adapter (no biggy, I just want to be able to roll back if I ever sell her to a non enthusiast) or the Crunch - in which case it's a harness adapter and rings - which is the question.

Having never used these previously (I come from the days when we'd just put the manufacturer's grilles over them and screw it all down, I'd like to know, do I fit the ring to the door then fit the speaker to the adapter, in which case will the door card be fouled, or do I fit the speaker to the door and use the ring to clamp it down, in which case how would I stop it working loose (mastic, self tappers etc).

Sorry if its a daft question, but back in the day it was easier with grilles, you didn't need to take the card off

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Speaker rings

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Put speaker in door and adapter ring over the top.. They won't work loose the area they fit in is contained for the speaker. You'll see when you put them in, two of the tabs stay in place on the speaker which then go over the original mounting points securing them much like the originals, the adapter ring does the rest. They are going nowhere once in👍
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Jasonn

Speaker rings

Post by Jasonn » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Thanks for this - you've no idea how long I spent trying to find an answer

Jasonn

Speaker rings

Post by Jasonn » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:14 pm

Is it worth fitting sound deadening whilst I've got the panels off? Is there enough space and is there anything I ought to be aware of?

The Crunch speakers seem to be an excellent balance between cost and performance and a wiring harness makes it look nice and easy.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Speaker rings

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:50 pm

I put a bit in behind each speaker and some on the door card not sure how much difference it makes to be honest but it was cheap enough to buy. if you want to pull the vapour barrier off and do the doors would probably give more sound insulation.. depends on how motivated you are.. If you're in no rush and have dry area to work in would most likely be worthwhile

Loads of info in my recent thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125344
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Silverstar

Speaker rings

Post by Silverstar » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:59 pm

As per the thread Mr.Tourette mentioned I too fitted the Crunch DSX42 and DSX4.2C recently. I didn't put any sound deadening but to my ears they still sound great. In that thread you can see the speaker harness connectors that I used.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Jasonn

Speaker rings

Post by Jasonn » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:17 pm

That was the thread that got me thinking about improving the sound - I wasn't too do the door panels and see how it goes.

I'll be doing this on my drive, which is why I've been asking (I can't leave it half finished as it's my daily driver for work).

Thanks for this

Pbondar

Speaker rings

Post by Pbondar » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:58 am

Jasonn wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:14 pm Is it worth fitting sound deadening whilst I've got the panels off? Is there enough space and is there anything I ought to be aware of?

The Crunch speakers seem to be an excellent balance between cost and performance and a wiring harness makes it look nice and easy.
Hi I’ve bought some sound deadening matting as I do have a bit of an issue when I wind it fully up...but I have a much more powerful amp / speaker set up ...I’ll report on it once I’ve tried it..people who have gone down this route all report positive results...I suspect it’s one of those things that you don’t know you need it / want it till you’ve done it.. :thumbsup: