Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Strut Front Bar

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jollyjoiner

Strut Front Bar

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:32 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm Dear me, this thread is about a BMW E89. One would think it was about a proper sports car. A front strut bar on these cars is hardly worth discussing, let along printing text out of context as sarcastic comment. if the strut looks nice (and it does) put it on your lounge wall so you can have the value of discussing it with your health visitor. :wink:
Hardly worth discussing but worthy enough for you to comment it seems :rofl:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

BeeEmm

Strut Front Bar

Post by BeeEmm » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:36 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:32 pm Hardly worth discussing but worthy enough for you to comment it seems
If nobody says that the Emperor is not wearing any clothes, everyone will believe that he truly looks stupendous in his new outfit. :D
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

sunnydays

Strut Front Bar

Post by sunnydays » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:36 am

Busterboo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:58 pm I wrote: "A forum search suggests ... ".

Personally, I have (a) no experience of after-market strut braces, but as long as (b) they're installed properly (which may be more complex than just bolting them to the towers), (c) can be tensioned after installation, (d) don't damage the bonnet and (e) allow easy access to the engine, then (f) they seem like a good idea (and, even if they don't work, they look cool).

That said, I'm going to check the tightness of the two diagonal braces that BMW have already installed.

As for mr wilks, he's not forgiven me for criticising him for something he said and so pokes fun at me now and then. Hopefully, we shall both survive.
Buster is right. You can't just bolt a strut bar on and expect handling improvements. It's just not reallistic. This is a ricer mod / bling. Not in a bad way either, it does look nice, but likely detrimental to the cars overall setup.

SV8Predator

Strut Front Bar

Post by SV8Predator » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:11 pm

sunnydays wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:36 am but likely detrimental to the cars overall setup.
Ah, that's interesting.

In what way do you think that it is detrimental to the car's overall setup?

In the context that many have posted on here that they've seen an improvement?
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

Pbondar

Strut Front Bar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Bummer world did an interesting article where they fitted a front strut bar to a variety of their BMW race cars..the summary was that on the earlier generations the strut brace did have a marked effect on the amount of flex and distortion (they had strain gauges fitted) as they went around a race track...

Later generations showed little evidence of movement..

The E89 learnt from the E85, it has much more discrete bracing already fitted..underneath and in the shell..

Having said that I can’t see why it would have any practical detrimental effect fitted to an E89..

I did buy one that was claimed that fitted the N20 variant, it didn’t fit..AFAIK there is no strut bar made that fits the N20 variant..

I have to say on the road I can’t perceive any obvious flex in the front end now that I’ve used M3 variants of the steering ‘ suspension linkages..

Beeacon

Strut Front Bar

Post by Beeacon » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:39 pm

I have one that came from the previous owner (re-sprayed black to be more in keeping with the rest of the bay). I have never taken it off so I can't give a first hand impression of the difference, but as a consultant structural engineer I know a bit about stress, deflection, and design procedure.

From a frame design perspective, any twist or deflection of the frame is to be avoided, and during the design of the car the aim will have been to design the frame to be just stiff enough to transmit the loads where they need to go (i.e. into the suspension) without deflecting too much, and while leaving enough space to allow for access around the engine bay and while spending the least amount of money possible. This will not be the stiffest solution, but the best compromise for all the stuff the car needs to do.

If you turn a corner and put a horizontal load into the frame then the load will want to create a push/pull between the left and right suspension. To get the load from the left to the right side of the car it has to create a load path using the chassis, floor bracing, and diagonal struts. The more direct the load path, the less bending and tolerances to take into account, and the more linear the load to the suspension. The more linear the load to the suspension, the less accidental load thrown to other corners, and the less under/oversteer due to frame twist like on my old bendy Z3.

Currently, the horizontal load mentioned above has to deflect the right suspension mount, then transfer this load into the first diagonal strut, then along the second diagonal strut, and finally into the left suspension mount. The same route occurs along the underside of the car too, going along any bracing the floor to the suspension mount.

If you introduce a more direct load path, such as a central strut, then you shorten the load path, increase the overall stiffness of the frame, and give the suspension a much more linear load input. All of this just leads to the frame wobbling less, and evens out the force on the suspension allowing it to do it's job better. You could argue that this prevents the frame from behaving as a damper, but surely that's what the actual oil dampers are for in your suspension.

Does this mean that you need to increase the stiffness of your engine bay for driving to the shops? Absolutely not.
Does this mean that you need to increase the stiffness of your engine bay to set a new Nurburgring lap record? Almost certainly.
Does this mean that you need to increase the stiffness of your engine bay for your personal use of the car? Probably not but it depends what you want to do with the car.

Would I put a strut on my next weekend car? Probably, yes. It made a big difference on the Z3, and maybe makes a bit of difference on the Z4 with spirited driving.

Photos, because the post is long.

Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

Phil40

Strut Front Bar

Post by Phil40 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:06 pm

Wonderful :o :o :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The last one picture : i would like to buy the same strut bar :thumbsup: Wiechers Model ? :driving:
E89 2011 Sdrive 23i manual Sapphire Black - France (sorry for my english level not perfect) ;)

Beeacon

Strut Front Bar

Post by Beeacon » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Phil40 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:06 pm Wonderful :o :o :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The last one picture : i would like to buy the same strut bar :thumbsup: Wiechers Model ? :driving:
Hi Phil,

Its an Ultra Racing front strut (it was white when I bought the car) and I had a local fabricator strip and re-spray it satin black for £20. I got some dental floss and removed the ultra racing badge before it went to be sprayed, cleaned the badge up, got the strut sprayed, and then re-stuck it down with double sided tape.

https://www.driftworks.com/ultra-racing ... 4-e89.html

Phil40

Strut Front Bar

Post by Phil40 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:45 am

Thanks Beeacon, wonderful in your cars color (black). It's like a BMW original Strut bar :D :thumbsup:
No problem with this model ? No crack around "red cercle" in this picture ?
Strut.jpg
Strut.jpg (63.1 KiB) Viewed 698 times
E89 2011 Sdrive 23i manual Sapphire Black - France (sorry for my english level not perfect) ;)

Beeacon

Strut Front Bar

Post by Beeacon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi Phil, no cracking around the mount either before or after the strut was re-painted.

The only thing that it is a minor annoyance is if you ever want to remove the engine cover, you need to remove the strut and the 6 nuts that hold the strut down to lift the engine cover. It is to be expected with any over the top strut to be honest, but worth considering if you lift the cover frequently.

Phil40

Strut Front Bar

Post by Phil40 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:56 pm

Ok good good :)
Did you have installed the strut bar on your Z directly or with a car lift ?

Beeacon

Strut Front Bar

Post by Beeacon » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:13 pm

The strut was put on by the previous owner. As I only have a top brace I didn't need to use a car lift for it.

Busterboo

Strut Front Bar

Post by Busterboo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Beeacon wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:51 pm The only thing that it is a minor annoyance is if you ever want to remove the engine cover, you need to remove the strut and the 6 nuts that hold the strut down to lift the engine cover. It is to be expected with any over the top strut to be honest, but worth considering if you lift the cover frequently.
Hinged strut braces are available that swing out of the way of the engine without detaching them from the towers. Adjustment for length and, therefore, tension is also available, I believe.
Vidi, vici, veni

9designs

Strut Front Bar

Post by 9designs » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:33 pm

So those that fitted one, has it made any improvement to the front end?
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

Jollyjoiner

Strut Front Bar

Post by Jollyjoiner » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:33 pm

9designs wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:33 pm So those that fitted one, has it made any improvement to the front end?
I personally think it has given the front a bit more of a positive feel when changing direction.
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)