Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Basic stereo 6 speaker upgrade..update Amp added..final update, active subwoofer installed

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pbondar

Basic stereo 6 speaker upgrade

Post by Pbondar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:39 pm Class D amps wouldn’t be seen anywhere in any kind of home ‘hi-fi’ setup but in cars they seem to get away with it. PA amps have been class D for a long time I guess but the signal to noise ratio is pretty dreadful in the main. They are great for low frequency amplification though which is why almost all subwoofer amps are class D.
Signal-to-noise ratio digital input 105 dB (A-weighted)
Signal-to-noise ratio analog input 103 dB (A-weighted)

I can live with that amount of noise...

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:42 am

Pbondar wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 pm
ph001 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:39 pm Class D amps wouldn’t be seen anywhere in any kind of home ‘hi-fi’ setup but in cars they seem to get away with it. PA amps have been class D for a long time I guess but the signal to noise ratio is pretty dreadful in the main. They are great for low frequency amplification though which is why almost all subwoofer amps are class D.

Over what frequency range? Class D certainly has come a long way over the years but it’s still some way off the fidelity levels of, say, class AB. Over 90% of home audio power amps are class AB. Why do you think that is? Class D rules on efficiency but that’s all.

I guess in a car environment with so much external noise it’s harder to perceive the difference.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:09 am

ph001 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:42 am
Pbondar wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 pm

Over what frequency range? Class D certainly has come a long way over the years but it’s still some way off the fidelity levels of, say, class AB. Over 90% of home audio power amps are class AB. Why do you think that is? Class D rules on efficiency but that’s all.

I guess in a car environment with so much external noise it’s harder to perceive the difference.
Frequency response 20 Hz - 22,000 Hz

I have a series of lovely Rotel amps...I operate a pair in bridge mode delivering around 250 watts runs per channel plus some smaller 60w+60w versions...

Given that my class d box delivers similar net power output and takes about 1/50 of the volume and about 1/15 the weight I’ll live with it in the imperfect world of a convertible car..

Out of interest when tested in a X5 as a whole system the systems still achieved the following.. 82 dBa signal to noise at 5w and half power..

The world moves on.... for most of us...

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:26 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:33 pm Crunch DSX42
HI Silverstar, did you make any progress with the speaker upgrade ? I too am interested in the Crunch speakers including the tweeters which are absent in my Z4 but cannot find many people who have added them and their feedback.

Also, thanks OP for the write up-see what you mean about the Guy being a bit rough with someone else's Z4 door !

Thanks
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Yoghurt wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:26 pm
Silverstar wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:33 pm Crunch DSX42
HI Silverstar, did you make any progress with the speaker upgrade ? I too am interested in the Crunch speakers including the tweeters which are absent in my Z4 but cannot find many people who have added them and their feedback.

Also, thanks OP for the write up-see what you mean about the Guy being a bit rough with someone else's Z4 door !

Thanks
They were delivered yesterday but now I am waiting for the speaker connector cables which I should be receiving next week so probably will attempt the install next weekend. I am hoping as the OP has done to make speaker adaptors out of the old speakers to fit the car but depending what happens there it might get delayed a bit more if I find I need to buy the specific adaptor rings. I will post up the results here.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:53 pm

Great, thanks Silverstar.
I just searched a bit more and this thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34558 details tweeters being added and it sounded worth doing.
Can I ask where you sourced the comopnent Crunch speakers, was it direct from the maker?
I am also thinking that, whilst I have the door card off I might add puddle lights. Would also love the lights under the door handle but that may be too complicated for me!

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:53 pm

Just a wee update from me, the speakers are beginning to bed in a little and are sounding better every drive out, couple of big hitting bass tracks came on today when my phone was set to shuffle and I have to say the Hertz speakers in the footwell are pretty phenomenal, I actually had to drop the head unit tone settings down as they were positively booming deep bass with zero distortion unlike they were on the first few runs out, seriously seriously impressed, when they first went in i just thought they were a decent bit of improvement but today it felt like they were night and day from the old ones, very pleased I went for them :thumbsup:

current settings Fader -2 bass +2 treble 0 seems the more the speakers are running in the further I need to pull the tone down yet I am getting an even richer sound, all money well spent so far
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:24 am

Thanks for the update.
Would you consider adding the tweeters worth it?

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:38 am

Yoghurt wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:53 pm Great, thanks Silverstar.
I just searched a bit more and this thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34558 details tweeters being added and it sounded worth doing.
Can I ask where you sourced the comopnent Crunch speakers, was it direct from the maker?
I am also thinking that, whilst I have the door card off I might add puddle lights. Would also love the lights under the door handle but that may be too complicated for me!
I am in Spain so I got the Coax DSX42 from Amazon Spain and the components DSX4.2C from the Spanish importer of Crunch audio. I simply asked for a discount and got 30% of the retail price, but I am not sure if they will ship outside of Spain or if they do if the shipping costs would negate any discounts.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:41 am

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:53 pm Just a wee update from me, the speakers are beginning to bed in a little and are sounding better every drive out, couple of big hitting bass tracks came on today when my phone was set to shuffle and I have to say the Hertz speakers in the footwell are pretty phenomenal, I actually had to drop the head unit tone settings down as they were positively booming deep bass with zero distortion unlike they were on the first few runs out, seriously seriously impressed, when they first went in i just thought they were a decent bit of improvement but today it felt like they were night and day from the old ones, very pleased I went for them :thumbsup:

current settings Fader -2 bass +2 treble 0 seems the more the speakers are running in the further I need to pull the tone down yet I am getting an even richer sound, all money well spent so far
And you haven't even added an amp yet! Now I need to decide wether to go for the Hertz as you have done for the kick panels or go for the Earthquakes SWS. Decisions decisions! :)

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:18 am

Yoghurt wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:24 am Thanks for the update.
Would you consider adding the tweeters worth it?
to be honest without listening to them side to side I have no idea how much difference they would make, obviously the 2 way speakers have them built into the speakers with built in crossovers so technically i am getting a tweeter effect just at a different level. Some other research has said if you do get separate tweeers to get fully adjustable crossovers so you can tweek to your own requirements which kinda makes sense. At this time though in terms of cost/improvement i do not regret picking up the dsx42 2 way speakers, at the price point they are so cost effective I can always upgrade to components further down the line should I feel the need..at the moment i dont

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:35 am

Silverstar wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:41 am
mr.tourette wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:53 pm Just a wee update from me, the speakers are beginning to bed in a little and are sounding better every drive out, couple of big hitting bass tracks came on today when my phone was set to shuffle and I have to say the Hertz speakers in the footwell are pretty phenomenal, I actually had to drop the head unit tone settings down as they were positively booming deep bass with zero distortion unlike they were on the first few runs out, seriously seriously impressed, when they first went in i just thought they were a decent bit of improvement but today it felt like they were night and day from the old ones, very pleased I went for them :thumbsup:

And you haven't even added an amp yet! Now I need to decide wether to go for the Hertz as you have done for the kick panels or go for the Earthquakes SWS. Decisions decisions! :)
The Hertz i felt were a safe bet from reviews i read, as I mentioned the first few days i just thought “ yeah nice improvement, not 100% convinced what everyone was saying about bass response though“ Yesterday it was literally " Holy s**t.. ok i get.. sorry for being a doubter" :D It actually felt like there was a sub in the car.. what an improvement
If you do go for Hertz watch you dont pick up the more budget 165 F as they look very similar and are even similarly priced but dont have the same positve reviews, whatever you plump for give them time to run before passing judgment :rofl:

There may or may not be an amp en route.. I couldn't possibly say🤔😉

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:17 am

I noticed that Hertz have the C 165 F and also C 165 L in addition to the ones you purchased not sure what the L version does. Right now I am siding with the Hertz over the Earthquakes because a) I have found the Hertz C 165 in Spain for 73€ shipped as opposed to around 130€ shipped for the Earthquakes and importantly the sensitivity rating for the Hertz is 93db as opposed to around 77db for the Earthquakes which from my research means the Earthquakes would not perform as well in a stock system unless they are amped. Later on I will probably go for the Vibe 65.4 amp too after which I will see if to add some proper subs and the Vibe 400.1 amp.

EDIT: Theoretically the components DSX4.2C should be better because they have different quality tweeters better crossover and since they are mounted higher up you should get better soundstage plus you have the ability to attenuate them by 3db should you find the tweeters too bright or harsh. Not sure wether all of that is worth 50 quid extra based on the average selling prices but since I got them for 23€ more I though it was no brainer to do it. I'll find out next week how they are if I manage to get them installed.
Last edited by Silverstar on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:23 am

Silverstar wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:17 am I noticed that Hertz have the C 165 F and also C 165 L in addition to the ones you purchased not sure what the L version does. Right now I am siding with the Hertz over the Earthquakes because a) I have found the Hertz C 165 in Spain for 73€ shipped as opposed to around 130€ shipped for the Earthquakes and importantly the sensitivity rating for the Hertz is 93db as opposed to around 77db for the Earthquakes which from my research means the Earthquakes would not perform as well in a stock system unless they are amped. Later on I will probably go for the Vibe 65.4 amp too after which I will see if to add some proper subs and the Vibe 400.1 amp.
That is a great price for the Hertz and leaves you cash to spare for future improvements They really are driving well now on the stock system :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:26 am

mr.tourette wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:23 am
Silverstar wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:17 am I noticed that Hertz have the C 165 F and also C 165 L in addition to the ones you purchased not sure what the L version does. Right now I am siding with the Hertz over the Earthquakes because a) I have found the Hertz C 165 in Spain for 73€ shipped as opposed to around 130€ shipped for the Earthquakes and importantly the sensitivity rating for the Hertz is 93db as opposed to around 77db for the Earthquakes which from my research means the Earthquakes would not perform as well in a stock system unless they are amped. Later on I will probably go for the Vibe 65.4 amp too after which I will see if to add some proper subs and the Vibe 400.1 amp.
That is a great price for the Hertz and leaves you cash to spare for future improvements They really are driving well now on the stock system :thumbsup:
Yep the difference in price between the Hertz and the Earthquakes is almost the cost for the Vibe amp!