Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Royals wheel

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jollyjoiner

Royals wheel

Post by Jollyjoiner » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:31 pm

My re trimmed wheel arrived back today from Royal Steering Wheels. This is the second wheel they have done for me over the past few years and have done another cracking job.

I went with the same as last time, extra wrapping with smooth leather top bottom and perforated sides and Msport stitching
20200922_184447.jpg
20200922_184447.jpg (145.36 KiB) Viewed 603 times
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Royals wheel

Post by jabber » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 pm

:thumbsup:
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

IRD

Royals wheel

Post by IRD » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:41 pm

They do a brilliant job. The wheel looks really good. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Royals wheel

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:09 pm

That looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

But then they always seem to do an excellent job.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

gadgetJunky72

Royals wheel

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 pm

A word of warning to anyone with a heated steering wheel. mine stopped working after I got my wheel refurbished. first I thought I just couldn't feel the heat anymore because there was an extra layer of leather, but the light on the button would just switch off. So maybe the heating element was damaged.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Royals wheel

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:43 am

they are joy to behold aren't they :D :thumbsup:
Last edited by mr.tourette on Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Royals wheel

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:06 am

Jollyjoiner wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:31 pm I went with the same as last time, extra wrapping with smooth leather top bottom and perforated sides and Msport stitching
Looking to get the wife's standard wheel done from her 2.5i.
Can you please clarify, when you say extra wrapping, is that simply putting the new leather on top of the existing wheel rim, or is there more added than that?
She wants the wheel a bit chunkier but only has small hands. Basically wants to bring it up to the size of the one in my E89.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zed Baron

Royals wheel

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:10 am

Very nice, great to see an example with the SE trim and newer paddles

Jollyjoiner

Royals wheel

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:42 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:06 am
Jollyjoiner wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:31 pm I went with the same as last time, extra wrapping with smooth leather top bottom and perforated sides and Msport stitching
Can you please clarify, when you say extra wrapping, is that simply putting the new leather on top of the existing wheel rim, or is there more added than that?
She wants the wheel a bit chunkier but only has small hands. Basically wants to bring it up to the size of the one in my E89.
The extra padding is a double wrap under the leather to make the wheel thicker. Most ladies like that extra thickness feel in there hands :rofl:
2009 35i DCT silver

Jollyjoiner

Royals wheel

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 am

Zed Baron wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:10 am Very nice, great to see an example with the SE trim and newer paddles
Cheers.
I did buy an Msport wheel complete with the latest paddles 18 months ago and have been running that o e on the car. Once I decided to get the wheel re trimmed I decided to send my SE wheel off and then swap the paddles over when it came back. I prefer the look of the SE trim peices as they go better with the interior.

I've popped the original paddles onto the Msport wheel now and thinking I may as well sell it as I now don't need a spare wheel.
2009 35i DCT silver

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Royals wheel

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:25 am

Jollyjoiner wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:42 am
The extra padding is a double wrap under the leather to make the wheel thicker. Most ladies like that extra thickness feel in there hands :rofl:
Hmmm, don't want to spoil her! :roll:
So if I got the standard wheel covered it would be thicker, but not as thick as yours?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jollyjoiner

Royals wheel

Post by Jollyjoiner » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:25 am
Jollyjoiner wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:42 am
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:06 am Looking to get the wife's standard wheel done from her 2.5i.
So if I got the standard wheel covered it would be thicker, but not as thick as yours?
If you got your standard one covered it should come back the same thickness as it is now. If you want it thicker then you have to tell them when ordering. Mine now is the same thickness as a Msport wheel.
2009 35i DCT silver

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Royals wheel

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:02 am

Jollyjoiner wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 am
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:25 am
Jollyjoiner wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:42 am The extra padding is a double wrap under the leather to make the wheel thicker. Most ladies like that extra thickness feel in there hands :rofl:
If you got your standard one covered it should come back the same thickness as it is now. If you want it thicker then you have to tell them when ordering. Mine now is the same thickness as a Msport wheel.
Ah, ok, with you now. Thanks.

IRD

Royals wheel

Post by IRD » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:06 pm

They will trim the wheel to any thickness you choose. I had mine done when I had my E85. I bought a wheel from another Forum member (Dietcokeman) who lived near to Royals and he took the wheel to them. On his recommendation I had mine done to 3/4 the thickness of the MSport wheel and I found it to be very comfortable. Depending on the size of your good lady’s hands she might 3/4 increase to be the most comfortable.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Royals wheel

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:34 pm

IRD wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:06 pm
[/quote

They will trim the wheel to any thickness you choose. I had mine done when I had my E85. I bought a wheel from another Forum member (Dietcokeman) who lived near to Royals and he took the wheel to them. On his recommendation I had mine done to 3/4 the thickness of the MSport wheel and I found it to be very comfortable. Depending on the size of your good lady’s hands she might 3/4 increase to be the most comfortable.
Thanks for all the advice. I shall get her to go round grabbing random wheels until we find one that suits. :D