Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

7 Vs 1

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Oliver Ciaravella

7 Vs 1

Post by Oliver Ciaravella » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:53 am

Hi All,

Just a bit of advice really.

Got my 2012 that was advertised as 1 previous owner from a garage.

On getting V5 surprised to see 7.... now 1 or 2 out is understandable but 7 when the car has only 50k.

I do love the car so not really an issue but what are your thoughts on selling a car with 7 previous owners, apart from a small leak in the roof which I think I have fixed there doesn’t (touch wood) seem to be anything up.

The response of garage is “you should have checked” which I know under various laws is not quite accurate but before I go back to them just wondered peoples thoughts.
2012 - BMW Z4 - 20in Wheels - Red Leather

Armscarf

7 Vs 1

Post by Armscarf » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:07 am

I'll explain myself fully if you need me to but my advice is simple, let it be and enjoy the car.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

7 Vs 1

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:54 am

It's not unusual for these cars to change hands regularly.. Yes you should have checked but if it was advertised as 1 owner then that's obviously misled you as it would have a slight impact on the value imho 7 in 8 years is on the high side.. If its within the deadline for returning pretty sure you would be entitled.. All that said if its a good car and you got it for a good price get on and enjoy it :driving:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

SiJar

7 Vs 1

Post by SiJar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:11 am

Personally if it was me I would challenge this if it clearly stated in the advert ‘ one owner’ if it was a verbally stated you cannot prove it as it would be your word against theirs. I wouldn’t buy a car with seven owners as it would raise a red flag to me why so many, what’s wrong with the car? And yes I strongly believe having so many owners does devalue the car!
Z4///MC

MKZ4000

7 Vs 1

Post by MKZ4000 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:15 am

I’d say they have mis represented the sale.

A high number of owners does not nessarily concern me but it’s certainly easier to sell a car with less owners and attract a slight premium all things being equal.

If you feel you paid over the market rate because of the 1 owner aspect, I’d be a bit annoyed.

If you are happy with the price then the no. of owners does not matter
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0

Big Bad Boris

7 Vs 1

Post by Big Bad Boris » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 am

I’d usually agree that the number of owners is that important. However, this would worry me on two counts. Firstly I would be worried that something is wrong with the car i.e. a recurring fault that has failed to be fixed despite many visits to garages, leading disgruntled owners to simply move the car on. Secondly, the response of the selling garage would worry me as it doesn’t bode well should you have an issue with the car.. I think my response to them would be “you shouldn’t have lied”.

I agree with Sijar, you should challenge this. If you feel you have paid a premium for a one owner car then at worse you should be looking for some of the purchase price back. Personally I think I’d be tempted to get a full refund and find another car with a clearer background.

greg81

7 Vs 1

Post by greg81 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:45 am

I'd be right back in there kicking up a stink

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

7 Vs 1

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 am

It also depends who the owners were to some extent.
It is possible to make a mistake and register the car to the trader.
I also had an example a few years back where through necessity a car passed through three owners within the same family. I continued to maintain it to the same high standard throughout that time, as though it were still with me.
So although these are unlikely scenarios, it may not prove to be as bad as all that.
However, if the seller did indeed advertise it as one owner then that is not exactly truthful and transparent. If in your case it would have stopped you buying the car then maybe you have a stronger argument.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

keving1

7 Vs 1

Post by keving1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:52 am

You have bought a lovely white Z4 with red interior which is a rare car and you compromised with not having satnav because you wanted this car.

Would you have bought it had you know it had 7 previous owners and not just 1? If there are no problems with the car enjoy it, if there are problems then ask the garage to take it back or if you think you paid a premium for 1 owner ask the garage for money back.

I would have no problems with 7 owners, the Z4 is a car that is often bought in spring and sold in autumn :driving:

Chippie

7 Vs 1

Post by Chippie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:12 am

I too would be annoyed to find out it had been miss advertised and would be looking for some sort of compensation from the garage, but if they are unwilling to offer anything then I don’t think it’s worth trying to pursue any kind of legal action.
The car could have been originally registered by the garage to help with sales figures and then previous owners enjoying it for a year or so before moving on.
Also when someone buys a new car they tend to fix all the little bits that may be wrong, have it serviced etc, so it may be in better shape than a one owner car.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

7 Vs 1

Post by flybobbie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 am

My car was sold by BMW to me as one owner, but in fact had two, went from reg. from wife to husband.

Jasonn

7 Vs 1

Post by Jasonn » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:02 am

Two seaters are often turned over quickly either because they're an impulse purchase and after the owner realises that the trip to IKEA is tricky or that they have a growing family.

I bought an MGZT many years ago from the former main dealer, only had 650 miles on the clock, stickers on the suspension, pips on the tyres, new car smell - was the dealer's static demo (before MG went pop) sold to an elderly lady who became ill, hubby transferred into his name when she died, he didn't want it and sold it back to the dealer (now Mazda) who wouldn't let them use it as a company vehicle. I saw it but didn't have sufficient proof of ID with me (I was on holiday) so my wife bought it and transferred it into my name - 6 owners in less than 700 miles

buzyg
Legend
Legend

7 Vs 1

Post by buzyg » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:09 am

Two schools of though on many owners.

One is:- On an older sports car each new owner is enthusiastic for a while and get things sorted. Where as few owners and SORN a lot can sometimes mean a little neglected in later years.

Tuther is:- On old sports cars with many owners each has given the car a darn good thrashing before passing it on. Were as the few owner car, after the fist few years of enthusiastic driving, has an easier life there after.

As with all things it is a mix of both. If your enjoying the car and no physical niggles, has to be a keeper surely. :)

Silverstar

7 Vs 1

Post by Silverstar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:13 am

As others have said 2 seater sports cars and convertibles are often bought on as whim and change hands often. 7 owners on a 8 year old 2 seater convertible is acceptable. However if you paid the price according to it being a one owner then I would go back and demand a partial refund or return since you are well within your rights to do that. If you didn't pay a premium and you like the car and there is nothing wrong with it then I wouldn't waste my time.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Ouroux71

7 Vs 1

Post by Ouroux71 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:27 pm

See legal advice.... Find the original advert showing it advertised as 1 previous owner...
1. Ask for full refund... If not done at once then legal action...
2. If you would like to keep it then ask for a very sizeable compensation to cover your loss of value...

Don't pussy foot about with liars.. Hit en hard..
2.3SDrive 2009 6spd, 47K: Sapphire black.PDC, Ski Hatch, Ext- Lighting, headlamp wash, storage pack, Canberra Beige leather, rain sensor/auto lights, auto rear mirror, seat heating, wind deflector, 19'' wheels. B16 suspension, cruise, BT, rear camera