Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

30i exhaust

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
therealmc

30i exhaust

Post by therealmc » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 pm

Hi. Does anyone have experience of fitting a two back box system (35i style) to a NA 3.0?
I like the look of the Supersprint system but am wondering if there’s a cheaper option such as using the back boxes from a 35i and getting a custom centre X pipe made up.

therealmc

30i exhaust

Post by therealmc » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:33 pm

UPDATE
Yesterday PowerFlow Brighton linked up the back boxes from a 35i to my 30. Definitely loving the new look.

Chippie

30i exhaust

Post by Chippie » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:43 pm

Result :thumbsup:
Did you fit the rear bumper from the 35?
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Freebster

30i exhaust

Post by Freebster » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:26 am

Thanks for the update. Does it sound any different? Was it an easy swap or was there some modification needed?
E89 30i Sdrive Auto

therealmc

30i exhaust

Post by therealmc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:27 am

Hi Chippie, yes I got the insert (not the whole bumper) with the two cutouts from eBay in the right colour and in fantastic condition considering it was second hand. I got a whole, one piece, 35i system from a car breaker website including all heat shields and brackets (delivered) for good price.
Hi Freebster, it’s unlikely to be louder but I’ll check on any change of exhaust note when I go for a drive at the weekend hopefully with the top down. Fitting was simple. They cut the pipes coming out of the centre box, cut the 35 pipes at roughly the same point. The diameters are slightly different so one fits inside the other but they’ve been welded together to avoid potential leaks. I’d already removed the bumper parts, fitted the rear-most bracket and the heat shield and the Powerflow guys expressed surprise how simple it all went together. 3 hours labour was all they charged me.
I’d estimate the final cost as no more than £700 which is considerably less than aftermarket systems. Just need to clean up the tips now.

Freebster

30i exhaust

Post by Freebster » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:46 pm

Thanks therealmc! Looking forward to hearing what you say about the noise. I’ve always thought that the standard 30i exhaust is a little on the quiet side.
E89 30i Sdrive Auto

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

30i exhaust

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 pm

I don't know about the E89 30i, but while the same engine in my 1st E86 sounded OK a previous owner of my 2nd one had got a custom cat-back system fitted and it sounded so much better! The back box was about half the size of OE. :lol:

But in my E90 3 Series it's hard to actually hear it unless you've got your foot planted in the carpet. :(

I'd also recommend PowerFlow. When I got my MC it had PowerFlow back boxes fitted (which sound awesome BTW) but one of them had a rear hanger missing for some reason. :?

Anyway I booked it in with their Slough agent and he fabricated and welded one on for £30 - cheapest job it's had so far! :D
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

therealmc

30i exhaust

Post by therealmc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Correction, it is louder though not hugely which is fine by me. The whole sound is quite different though, much deeper with a nice throb and some crackle on lift off. Remember these are not PowerFlow boxes, they are the standard BMW ones which is why I’m pleasantly surprised. Two and a half hour drive this afternoon and while cruising there was no noticeable droning or other unacceptable noises (Mrs S certainly didn’t complain). Time will tell about durability of the welds where the two systems have been connected but today I am very happy with the result.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

30i exhaust

Post by Smartbear » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm

therealmc wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 pm Correction, it is louder though not hugely which is fine by me. The whole sound is quite different though, much deeper with a nice throb and some crackle on lift off. Remember these are not PowerFlow boxes, they are the standard BMW ones which is why I’m pleasantly surprised. Two and a half hour drive this afternoon and while cruising there was no noticeable droning or other unacceptable noises (Mrs S certainly didn’t complain). Time will tell about durability of the welds where the two systems have been connected but today I am very happy with the result.
On the original car those silencers would have less to do as the turbos themselves reduce exhaust noise :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold