Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Garage Parking Advice

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
pvr
Legend
Legend

Garage Parking Advice

Post by pvr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 am

HillWalker wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:38 am Just be thankful you haven't got one with DCT transmission, you can't move the dam thing at all without starting the engine. :headbang:
Nor with the door open when reversing :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Colin_E

Garage Parking Advice

Post by Colin_E » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:13 am

kswon86 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:10 pm I think you could use the machine washing function. Shift N and turn off engine while the key is in the key socket. The car can be rolled and will engage P gear after 30mins. It’s not using parking brake but at least P gear will be engaged. I recommend to put a wooden block front or behind of a wheel to prevent the car rolling to somewhere during the 30mins. What I’m not sure is whether you can lock the car with the spare key when the main key is in the socket. I think it’s easy to check.
When the time comes to remove the car though, is there a way to revert to N to push it out without access to the controls inside the car? As a general principle I'd think through the issues for removal before embarking on anything.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Garage Parking Advice

Post by ronk » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:38 am

I still reckon the dollies are the only option. I just hope the ground Is smooth and flat enough to allow their use.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

kswon86

Garage Parking Advice

Post by kswon86 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:55 am

Colin_E wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:13 am When the time comes to remove the car though, is there a way to revert to N to push it out without access to the controls inside the car? As a general principle I'd think through the issues for removal before embarking on anything.
I thought it's okay if he use the easy access function, it will open the roof with the remote key and he can get in the car?

JamieZ4C

Garage Parking Advice

Post by JamieZ4C » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Are you able to install a door in the wall where you open the car door? Might help...

https://youtu.be/eg4EgYhAqjg

mcbutler

Garage Parking Advice

Post by mcbutler » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:32 am

In the photo I can see a ladder running down the side of the garage. I bought a bicycle storage kit from Halfords some time ago that consisted of a set of 4 pulleys, 2 with hooks. It allowed you to put the hooks under your crossbar then pull the bike up to the roof.
I use this kit to store my huge 4 section ladder in the top of my garage.
Alternatively just buy some strong square section hooks, screw them into the joists and get your ladder up higher, this will give you the space to get down the side of the car (judging by the photo).
If you are unhappy having the ladder above the car, pull the ladder out of the garage, put the car in then slide the two ladder sections underneath the car next to each other.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

crabbes

Garage Parking Advice

Post by crabbes » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:23 pm

mcbutler wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:32 am In the photo I can see a ladder running down the side of the garage. I bought a bicycle storage kit from Halfords some time ago that consisted of a set of 4 pulleys, 2 with hooks. It allowed you to put the hooks under your crossbar then pull the bike up to the roof.
I use this kit to store my huge 4 section ladder in the top of my garage.
Alternatively just buy some strong square section hooks, screw them into the joists and get your ladder up higher, this will give you the space to get down the side of the car (judging by the photo).
If you are unhappy having the ladder above the car, pull the ladder out of the garage, put the car in then slide the two ladder sections underneath the car next to each other.
Good shout, will look into this.

Tiger78

Garage Parking Advice

Post by Tiger78 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:49 pm

drive in with roof down and windows down, climb out car then lock door manually to raise roof and windows...

crabbes

Garage Parking Advice

Post by crabbes » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Tiger78 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:49 pm drive in with roof down and windows down, climb out car then lock door manually to raise roof and windows...
[/quote

Garage not high enough to raise roof or wide enough for me to get out, have to push car in while in neutral :headbang:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Garage Parking Advice

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Id rather park mine outside than in there with all that crap just waiting to dent a panel :(
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Garage Parking Advice

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:19 pm

Your opinions are becoming more and more limited with each post.
Was the garage built with the house or was it an add on?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

scootr

Garage Parking Advice

Post by scootr » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:29 pm

Hire a contractor to put a window in the garage right above the car door :rofl:
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

crabbes

Garage Parking Advice

Post by crabbes » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:33 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:19 pm Your opinions are becoming more and more limited with each post.
Was the garage built with the house or was it an add on?
Yes integral with the house, just wish it was 6” wider

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Garage Parking Advice

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:26 am

OK, so probably politically incorrect in some way but...................
...............with your username, can you not just get in sideways? :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Garage Parking Advice

Post by Ewazix » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 am

kswon86 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:10 pm I think you could use the machine washing function. Shift N and turn off engine while the key is in the key socket. The car can be rolled and will engage P gear after 30mins. It’s not using parking brake but at least P gear will be engaged. I recommend to put a wooden block front or behind of a wheel to prevent the car rolling to somewhere during the 30mins. What I’m not sure is whether you can lock the car with the spare key when the main key is in the socket. I think it’s easy to check.
Wouldn't this be leaving the OP's car in the garage stuck in Park, unable to get back in to disengage Park and roll it out again? (the ultimate lock down) :?

OP how about driving in with roof down, fit monkey bars to the ceiling to get out and over the car and diy fit a remote module like this (£250) to shut and lock it, sorted https://youtu.be/ITUkwnkR9y4

....... but promise to post a vid' if you decide to go with either of the above two suggestions :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost