Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hill Assist, or rather the lack of it on N20 models.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:49 pm

Just curious really, but does anyone know why BMW didn't put this on the N20 models?

I've seen various posts on here and elsewhere about how original owners had to be compensated etc for the lack of it, despite it appearing on websites and in brochures. But I've never seen anything that actually explains why it wasn't fitted. Does seem a bit puzzling, especially when you consider the post facelift previous gen E85's had it as standard. Then the E89 23i and 30i models got it, which the N20 power 18/20/28i replaced and of course the top end 35i/is also got it too. It does seem ridiculous that they left it off the N20, all I can think is there was some technical issue behind it. :?

To be honest I don't particularly miss it as such, I'd just love to know why it was never fitted. :)
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:10 pm

Maybe they just realised that owners discerning enough to chose the N20 cars were able to operate the accelerator, clutch and brakes properly :D

:exitright:

Now about to write my 'wanted' ad for a titanium umbrella :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

maxman

Post by maxman » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Not enough umph to get off the line when applied :lol:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Not sure how hill start works on a manual?

With the auto it was superfluous anyway..

Ming

Post by Ming » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:34 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:14 pm Not sure how hill start works on a manual?

I have it on my manual Renault Trafic van. I only use the handbrake when parking now. Press hard on the brake and I have a few seconds to get the biting point right then I'm away. The handbrake is a fair way down on the van from my elevated seat :P
I do like to go topless......
....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving:

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:59 pm

At the time it was in the brochures and on the website as a standard feature.

When the cars started to be delivered to customers and it was found they didn’t have it, there was outrage.

I think the problem was that because the electronic parking brake doesn’t really allow you to get the biting point correct like a normal handbrake.

My dealer said I should’ve specifically asked if it had this feature which was bollox cos it was listed as a standard feature (in the UK brochure and website) and even my salesman thought they had it.

Some people got refunds of about £300 I think but it was 100% dependant on how good your dealer was.

With about 5 minutes practice on a hill I learnt how to pull away without rolling backwards.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

BadgerDog

Post by BadgerDog » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:16 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:14 pm Not sure how hill start works on a manual?

I had a rental once when I was in the UK that was a manual with hill assist. It sort of works as a "one-way brake" of sorts. As soon as you start moving forward (or after a few seconds, presumably electronically) it is removed. So it gives you 2-3 seconds after taking your foot off the brake to get moving.

Honestly I hated it, though. I felt like it made engaging the clutch a bit more akward as you still did feel the effects of the brake for a MOMENT before it let up... and I've been driving manuals since I was 16 (38 now) so hills are a non issue for me. It DOES work, though, and would be great for people who are less confident when driving a manual.

Mind you this was a cheap rental, though, not a BMW. Maybe their implementation is more seamless to the end user? I also hated the front windscreen defroster this thing had (electric heating elements running throughout it). I could still see them as I drove and it was distracting. Several of my UK-based coworkers were jealous though... and honestly with your weather I can understand why it might be desirable! I was there Jan-April and it was almost never sunny, lol.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Best feature on the car, don't think twice about it. And the electronic ebrake, never need to adjust before mot like all other cars ever owned.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:42 am

BadgerDog wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:16 pm With the auto it was superfluous anyway..
I find the hill assist on my automatic 30i to be very good. It works seamlessly and gives you a couple of seconds once you lift your foot of the brake to get going without rolling back. Never needed it on cars with a normal handbrake though!
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:09 am

Thanks for the replies. It's a strange one they didn't fit it and it looks like BMW never actually explained why. Over the years I've often jumped out of manual BMW's with it into ones that don't and it's never caused me any issues. Like has been said above, if you've got good clutch control even on the steepest of hills your fine. I just can't fathom why at a point in time when BMW were fitting it to even the most humble 1 series diesel manuals (with a manual handbrake), they chose to omit from the big sellers of the E89 model lineup, despite it being on the 23/30i they replaced and even previous gen E85 Z4 models. :o :?

To be honest these days I would like to see it as standard on all cars. Simply for the reason of how many times over the years have you been stopped at a junction on an incline worried that the incompetent fool in front's about to roll back at you! :thumbsdown: :D
Last edited by MACK on Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:01 am

I have a Audi Q3 with auto hill hold, that holds the brake on as soon as you come to a stop and holds it until you’re ready for setting off again (even when level) or applies the handbrake if not moved for several minutes, or if ignition turned off, seat belt removed or drivers door opened, Only issue is when the pri@k in front starts to roll back :headbang:
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:32 am

Our new 1-series has the autohold. I initially found it a bit of a pain as I am used to the car starting to roll forward (auto) when I take my foot off the brake, then catch it up with the throttle. With this, nothing happens until you apply throttle and then it seems a little harsh in disengaging the brake. The car has an electric handbrake, same as the E89 btw.
However, what I do like about it is that if you're sat at a set of lights, or in a jam somewhere, you're not constantly blinding the people behind with your high level brake light staying on. So, pluses and minuses for me.
At the moment it gets switched off when I'm driving, but is a simple matter to engage it if in a long queue.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 pm

I hate it. Grew up in a mountainous region where learning how to do this manually (no pun intended) was mandatory. The really weird thing is in traffic in the Z4 I find myself subconsciously timing the disengagement of the assist in advance of maneuvers. That is, I ensure it disengages before I proceed. Crazy :).

By the way, I nominate Lombard Street in San Francisco as the scariest hill to climb in any vehicle with a manual transmission. I don't mean the downhill curvy part that is famous. Come UP Lombard from the west approaching the intersection with Hyde St. Maybe check it out on street view and think about doing that on a touring motorbike with a passenger and no hill assist. After you cross Hyde then you start down the famous curvy part. I've led multiple cross country motorcycle rides with experienced riders, but nixed an approach to Lombard from this angle as I feared the potential consequences.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:41 pm

Ming wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:34 pm

I have it on my manual Renault Trafic van. I only use the handbrake when parking now. Press hard on the brake and I have a few seconds to get the biting point right then I'm away. The handbrake is a fair way down on the van from my elevated seat :P
Yp i have it on my H3 L4 manual Jumbo tranny (can we say that still) van as well. Obviously vans are higher tech than N20's
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather