Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Registration Problem

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Having failed to find anyone local to register a new battery, I decided to buy an Autophix 5900 as it will no doubt be useful in the future and it has the ability to do the battery coding.

So had a quick play with it this morning to see what’s what and then fitted the new battery. To finish the job just get the machine to register the battery and job done....oh no, nothing ever seems to be that simple for me. I ran a few tests on the Autophix, which all seemed to work fine I.e. it’s clearly communicating with the car, but it will not register the new battery :headbang:

Each time I try the battery registration it throws up this response....
4BAE4EB0-601A-4104-93A9-4FB8806F7004.jpeg
4BAE4EB0-601A-4104-93A9-4FB8806F7004.jpeg (105.03 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Anyone know why it isn’t doing what it is supposed to? Just to prove it is connecting, after that photo I asked it to read the existing battery charge data...which it did......
02BBC98C-A36C-4BB0-955B-D4F5FF875FBC.jpeg
02BBC98C-A36C-4BB0-955B-D4F5FF875FBC.jpeg (99.77 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:36 pm

hmm.. worked first time on mine, when i read the instructions it said something about updating the autophix by plugging it i to a computer if it failed to register a battery.. do you have a puter you can plug it into.. sure it said it will autorun on Windows 8 and above
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:46 pm

OK thanks, maybe I need to delve deeper into the manual :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:09 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:46 pm OK thanks, maybe I need to delve deeper into the manual :thumbsup:
Follow instructions and read a manual........ when would a man ever do such a ridiculous thing :poke: :rofl: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:25 pm

A fair point, that said most of these manuals are written in Chinese English nowadays, so generally you are no better off for reading them.

The part Mr T refers to is actually the feedback section i.e. you can record the feedback in the reader and send the error file via the PC to Autophix. Not sure what happens after that though. And of course it doesn’t help me register the battery now?

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:30 pm

Have you tried putting the old battery back on and running the registration again just as a trial?

Have you run a code read and fault clearing diagnostic to see what happens?

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:33 pm

I fitted a new battery to my daily and ran the registration process out of interest morethan anything as its on a merc but sure i got the same message.. did you run the "for bmw" section of the scanner.. im sure i went into that section first

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:25 pm A fair point, that said most of these manuals are written in Chinese English nowadays, so generally you are no better off for reading them.

The part Mr T refers to is actually the feedback section i.e. you can record the feedback in the reader and send the error file via the PC to Autophix. Not sure what happens after that though. And of course it doesn’t help me register the battery now?
    :thumbsup: Hope you get sorted, Not something I’ve had to do myself as mine had a reasonably new battery.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Still hard to believe it was still running on the original BMW battery from 2009 !

Good news, I have now finally registered the new battery. The slightly bad news is I’m not sure which of the steps of clearing error codes, putting the old battery back on, putting the new battery back on, going to the Autophix website to update the software, putting the new battery in, taking it off clearing error codes again etc etc did the trick.

But all’s well that ends well :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:11 pm

:thumbsup: glad you got it sorted pal

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Thank you kind sir. Took her for a spin, no warning lights or “bongs” so all good.

Used to occasionally chuck up a warning light for no apparent reason, hence my suspicion that the battery was on its way out.