Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Walnut Blasting

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
BadgerDog

Walnut Blasting

Post by BadgerDog » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:46 pm

I have an oil catch can on order already, as it so happens! I found a very nice aluminum piece to hold it to the large strut in the engine bay here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714 ... UTF8&psc=1

Quite cheap, and incredible quality for the price.

Ironically the catch can is not legal in California. Which is bloody weird because if I understand correctly it should actually reduce emissions a slight hair by keeping oil out of the combustion chamber? I guess its just "ANY modification is unacceptable, regardless of whether its good or bad, if our corporate masters havent paid us to allow it". Sometimes this state really sickens me TBH.

Since I am only at 40k miles (only 3 of those mine... so far) it sounds like it could be a touch early still from others' experiences. And the oil catch can should slow additional buildup to a crawl (as long as I remember to empty it regularly, this is a new thing to me). So I'll likely have it done someday when I get around to it just to get back to like new condition and then rely mainly on the catch can to do its job.

Zikim, thanks for the tip on the cleaner, I will check that out as well when the time comes. That could definitely be a DIY option. I wonder what the effect is on downstream components (Cat, etc) of running all that broken up fouling through the engine, though, as that is where it will ultimately end up going, unless there's a nuance I am missing.

R.E92

Walnut Blasting

Post by R.E92 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:12 pm

You want to fit the catch can to the low pressure side if you want to reduce carbon buildup. Most will just fit one to the high side which only catches a fraction of the blow-by.

BadgerDog

Walnut Blasting

Post by BadgerDog » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:42 am

R.E92 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:12 pm You want to fit the catch can to the low pressure side if you want to reduce carbon buildup. Most will just fit one to the high side which only catches a fraction of the blow-by.
OK, thanks. I'll dig into that some more and get a better feel for whats where.