Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service lights

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ihadablackdog

Service lights

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 pm

Not a Z4 but I'm sure someone knows the answer!

My wife's 2014 116D is due its MOT since April, but was extended until October.

So I want to get it done but there are two requirements: Service Inspection and Emission Inspection
IMG_2676.jpg
IMG_2676.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Are these both the MOT?

I'm thinking of getting it done at ATS for £29.99 rather than £39.99 at BMW plus their extortionate £10 "covid excuse for more money" fee.

If both should be reset in the MOT then thats fine, but if one is a BMW specific check then it might need to go there?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Service lights

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:37 pm

The service details on the OBC on my E90 has that same "paragraph" symbol, but only one line which is for the MOT. But seeing as the MOT includes an emission test I'd imagine both entries relate to the MOT.

I got my MOT done for £35 at a local testing station last month but they don't reset the date. So after a quick google for "E90 Hidden Menu" I found out how to do it myself on youtube!

If you go for the cheaper option and they don't reset them try a Google for F20 hidden menu.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Service lights

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 pm

I’ve just had my MOT done at the local Dealer - ask them nicely and if they are anything like mine they’ll price match - £30 in my case and all the screens read OK :thumbsup:

The touch points were wiped down with sanitising fluid and masks were were given with hand sanitiser.
The “Dealer” often gets a bad press on here but in this case :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ihadablackdog

Service lights

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:54 am

ronk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 pm I’ve just had my MOT done at the local Dealer - ask them nicely and if they are anything like mine they’ll price match - £30 in my case and all the screens read OK :thumbsup:

The touch points were wiped down with sanitising fluid and masks were were given with hand sanitiser.
The “Dealer” often gets a bad press on here but in this case :thumbsup:
I might try the price match thing but their site already says it’s a special deal and they are tighter than a ducks bottom.

When my Z4 went in a couple weeks ago the loan car hadn’t come back, but arrived whilst I was waiting. The service lady picked up a spray bottle (presumably anti-bac) and a cloth, went to the car and was back within two minutes and gave me the keys. If they did that to my car when the mechanic first got in it and then before handing it back then that’s £10 for fukc all.

I’ll ring them today and ask if they’ll price match and will they still charge the farcical £10 sanitation charge (it was itemised on my bill).
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Service lights

Post by ronk » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 am

The service receptionist told me yesterday that she has been instructed to sanitise all the touch points at handover - I wouldn’t like to think I’d had any additional charges - I would not have called it sanitising.
They did have plenty of face masks and hand gel.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ihadablackdog

Service lights

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:21 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:37 pm The service details on the OBC on my E90 has that same "paragraph" symbol, but only one line which is for the MOT. But seeing as the MOT includes an emission test I'd imagine both entries relate to the MOT.

I got my MOT done for £35 at a local testing station last month but they don't reset the date. So after a quick google for "E90 Hidden Menu" I found out how to do it myself on youtube!

If you go for the cheaper option and they don't reset them try a Google for F20 hidden menu.
Thankyou.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Service lights

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:23 am

ronk wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:17 am The service receptionist told me yesterday that she has been instructed to sanitise all the touch points at handover - I wouldn’t like to think I’d had any additional charges - I would not have called it sanitising.
They did have plenty of face masks and hand gel.
Exactly, took her less than 2 minutes and that included walking to the car and back.

Probably did the steering wheel, gearstick/handbrake and door handle etc which is not a bad thing, but to charge £10?

And they shouldn’t be passing the cost of masks and sanitiser onto the customer, that’s part of the precaution they need to take to trade.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Service lights

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:56 pm

So I checked with BMW but they aren't doing any service work on Saturdays at the moment (this was also the case a few weeks ago). I'm off work next week but they don't have any appointments next week.

ATS is £29.99 and I was just about to book it when I saw the box to enter discount codes etc, so I googled and found a Groupon offer for £18.49!

Never used groupon before but bought it and phoned ATS and booked it in for 19 September which is when I was going to do it anyway.

I'll have to put up with the usual "scare" tactics to get extra work, i.e. all 4 tyres need replacing, Exhaust needs replacing, Battery needs replacing, but will get that everywhere, so an MOT for £18.49 is a bargain I think (haha, as long as it passes!).

BMW said the battery was dodgy a few years ago but its been fine, so I will actually be interested to see if they do mention it.

If they don't reset both service indicators I'll do as Mr Tidy says above and find out how to do it myself.
2011 E89 sDrive20i