Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Are all Autos like this?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Are all Autos like this?

Post by Ewazix » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 am

This doesn't sound right, I think I have the same engine/box in my CooperS, pressing the foot brake at rest sets the hill start brake, which releases (automatically) once you take your foot off the brake pedal and press the accelerator.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

tintoverano

Are all Autos like this?

Post by tintoverano » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:47 am

just want to mention, that the hill start brake feature can be coded out/in as well using NCSExpert, but as it was mentioned by Rob: the 2.0s didn't get this option for some reason

if it were only a software thing, it would be interesting to see if it could turned on for the 2.0 models
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Ming

Are all Autos like this?

Post by Ming » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:56 am

Well I have to say I have the hill start option on my Renault Trafic van and even though that's a manual with a proper hand brake it's a useful feature. Press hard, then I've got a couple of seconds to get the biting point on the clutch right and a bit of throttle and I'm off, whether it's empty or there's a ton of weight in the back. If I could get that coded on my 20i it would help.
I do like to go topless......
....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving:

tintoverano

Are all Autos like this?

Post by tintoverano » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:02 am

Ming wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:56 am If I could get that coded on my 20i it would help.
I agree, but coding is only possible if all the required hardware is there

let me know if you need help with trying the software part out, I have a 23i so I couldn't
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Tinker15

Are all Autos like this?

Post by Tinker15 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 am

tintoverano wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:02 am
Ming wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:56 am If I could get that coded on my 20i it would help.

let me know if you need help with trying the software part out, I have a 23i so I couldn't
As the hill start system apparently works with a manual box has it any effect on an automatic? My experience of automatics is that in ‘drive’ the car tends to creep forwards not backwards. Certainly my 6 speed automatic will hold on a slope for much longer than the 2 seconds the hill start system is supposed to work for.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Silverstar

Are all Autos like this?

Post by Silverstar » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:33 am

Tinker15 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 am
tintoverano wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:02 am

As the hill start system apparently works with a manual box has it any effect on an automatic? My experience of automatics is that in ‘drive’ the car tends to creep forwards not backwards. Certainly my 6 speed automatic will hold on a slope for much longer than the 2 seconds the hill start system is supposed to work for.
I believe it does work on the E89 automatics (well at least on the 30i if not the 20i), BMW autos certainly anything newer than the E46 do creep backwards on a hill, my old E46 5 speed auto did. But this E89 doesn't for a few seconds. According to the manual the car has hill assist and holds for a few seconds after you release the brakes, seems to work on mine.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

R.E92

Are all Autos like this?

Post by R.E92 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:14 am

The hill start should work independently of the gearbox. I have disabled creeping on my DCT but it still doesn't roll back on hills so there must be some function holding the brakes.

BadgerDog

Are all Autos like this?

Post by BadgerDog » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 am

R.E92 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:14 am The hill start should work independently of the gearbox. I have disabled creeping on my DCT but it still doesn't roll back on hills so there must be some function holding the brakes.
OOOOH, how do you disable the creep? I expected it to act more like a manual when I take my foot off the brake and this intrigues me. Is it a coding option? I recently picked up BimmerGeeks protool and it seems to be able to code about anything so I'd be keen to give this a go.

tintoverano

Are all Autos like this?

Post by tintoverano » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 am

BadgerDog wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 am
R.E92 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:14 am The hill start should work independently of the gearbox. I have disabled creeping on my DCT but it still doesn't roll back on hills so there must be some function holding the brakes.
OOOOH, how do you disable the creep? I expected it to act more like a manual when I take my foot off the brake and this intrigues me. Is it a coding option? I recently picked up BimmerGeeks protool and it seems to be able to code about anything so I'd be keen to give this a go.
read out DSC with NCSExpert, load the trace file (.TRC) to NCSDummy and find this option in the list and set it to inactive then code the DSC with the resulting .MAN file
mSport 23i

R.E92

Are all Autos like this?

Post by R.E92 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am

BadgerDog wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 am
You have to use xHP to do it, currently the only method of editing the DCT code. Costs £180 for the basic customisations of which disabling creep is one.

Zikim

Are all Autos like this?

Post by Zikim » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:35 am

R.E92 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am
You have to use xHP to do it, currently the only method of editing the DCT code. Costs £180 for the basic customisations of which disabling creep is one.
What else can be done with xHP to the DCT code?

R.E92

Are all Autos like this?

Post by R.E92 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:15 am

Zikim wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:35 am
R.E92 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am
What else can be done with xHP to the DCT code?
Pretty much anything can be changed. The default maps are listed on the xHP website
- Torque Limiters removed
- Line Pressure max. 19 Bar
- Removed Automatic Upshift in Manual
- Removed Kickdown in Manual
- Super-Fast shifting on M3 GTS Level (90 ms, Sport and DSC OFF)
- Revised Shiftmaps with very comfy shiftpoints in D, more sportive but still daily-drive shifting in D+Sport
- Launch Control RPM set to 4000 (adjustable through App)
- Optimized Kickdown Take-Off for proper acceleration
- Raised downshift limits in Manual
Getting a bit off-topic though, I did make a post about the app already so best asking questions there.

BadgerDog

Are all Autos like this?

Post by BadgerDog » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:32 am

Oh booo. I dont need yet ANOTHER software tool to get. =\

I'm more focused right now on correcting some of the wrongs like replacing the charge pipe before it cracks and swapping out the salmon relays for the roof. Guess I can put this on my "maybe someday" list.

R.E92

Are all Autos like this?

Post by R.E92 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:44 am

BadgerDog wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:32 am Oh booo. I dont need yet ANOTHER software tool to get. =\

I'm more focused right now on correcting some of the wrongs like replacing the charge pipe before it cracks and swapping out the salmon relays for the roof. Guess I can put this on my "maybe someday" list.
Salmon relays are a good shout but there's no reason at all to replace the charge pipe unless you have a problem with it, it doesn't fail on the E89.

engine killer

Are all Autos like this?

Post by engine killer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:59 am

R.E92 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:44 am
BadgerDog wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:32 am Oh booo. I dont need yet ANOTHER software tool to get. =\

Salmon relays are a good shout but there's no reason at all to replace the charge pipe unless you have a problem with it, it doesn't fail on the E89.
changing the relays were just "piece of cake" even for me, so i believe most car enthusiast with a little mechanical mind can do it probably.

i have the charge pipe replaced at the same time when having the intercooler upgrade (done by professional). did a research about the charge pipe in E89 and yes it seems far more reliable compare to other N54 equipped chassis