Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HOW DOES YOUR E89 HANDLE?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Maria1

Post by Maria1 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:40 pm

In view of the fact that there are different views on E89 handling, I was wondering if it was my car's specification that might make my Z4 feel like a tank, especially as others seem to be reasonably positive towards how it goes down a road from a handling perspective. My take on the Z4 (30i) is that it is a good cruiser, it goes where you point it but it tells you absolutely nothing about what it is doing. It holds onto the road well in the dry but it gives me absolutely no confidence that it enjoys being hustled. It doesn't actually feel that it will spit me off the road but neither does it make me enjoy the experience. So I tone it down and I use it as a GT. On Spanish roads comfort is actually quite good; it's the connection with the car that is lacking.

My other cars (as of today) are an original Honda NSX (which is in a different league altogether in terms of feel) and i8 (very impressive and substantially better than the Z4 even if the steering lacks feel). Both engage with the driver substantially more than the Z4. I have also driven Boxsters etc and again they are much better in the handling stakes.

My question then is it my specification: M Sport; 19" wheels; RFTs?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:51 pm

If you’re on run flats ditch them ASAP Maria, they are the single worst cause of bad handling and lack of any feel or confidence in an E89. A switch to quality rubber will have you thinking you’re in a different car.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Out of interest I’m picking a 35i up next month off Player1, Sam has added M3 control arms, new springs and dampers from Bilstein I think they are, stiffer anti roll bars. He reports a significant improvement in taming the E89’s wayward handling. Looking forward to picking it up, I’ll report back if it’s of interest once I’ve got it. :driving:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Maria1

Post by Maria1 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Perhaps it is the tyres then. Shame they are nearly new. I remember changing my original Hankook tyre on my Hyundai (which were lethal in the wet) to (still budget brand) Kumho and the car was transformed. I just thought that Bridgestone was a quality producer. I have had them on my bikes.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:06 pm

Well the simple answer is that you’ve got the wrong combination of everything as far as what could be different on other models/what you can change..

Of course this is all IMHO...having spent 3 years and 20,000 miles of mostly spirited motoring I would make the following observations ...

What can’t be fixed

The earlier 6 cylinder engines carry more weight over / in front of the front axle , making the weight balance more forward biased than the 4 potters and also there will more front axle mass , slightly slowing the turn and in reverse not settling in the turn as quickly..

There is some suggestion that the earlier cars had different parameters in their electrical power steering system..

What can fixed

Number one is change from run flats to same size in premium rubber from Goodyear Michelin Continental

New dampers , and maybe springs, Bilstein common choice with Eibach springs

Uprated H&R anti roll bars

E90 M3 steering suspension parts

Open to discussion is wheel rim widths / diameters and ditto tyre sizes

Also IMHO has a very different feel to cars you sit in the middle off rather than over the rear wheels...your body will sense those cues...and may impair your feel at being at one till you get used to it..

Anyway that’s a view from someone who has never been overtaken by another Z4..and never not been able to keep with any other Z4..

Maria1

Post by Maria1 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:16 pm

Thank Pbondar. I tend to agree that I have a preference for mid-engined cars and I regarded my S54 Z3MC as a bit wayward as well and not the most refined thing on the road. Still an epic car though. I will have to do the non-RFT thing at some point but I would probably go for Vriedenstiens as they have a good rim protector (essential on my clog-hopping but nice looking wheels). I would have to do without the other mods though.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:25 pm

Maria1 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:16 pm Thank Pbondar. I tend to agree that I have a preference for mid-engined cars and I regarded my S54 Z3MC as a bit wayward as well and not the most refined thing on the road. Still an epic car though. I will have to do the non-RFT thing at some point but I would probably go for Vriedenstiens as they have a good rim protector (essential on my clog-hopping but nice looking wheels). I would have to do without the other mods though.
Yes the mods mount up in price n time...as an aside the new Goodyear Asymmetric 5s have a very chunky rim protector as do the Continentals

I’m sure are resident tyre experts will be along shortly :thumbsup:

javis20

Post by javis20 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:29 pm

I have the same car as the OP and agree with that assessment. 3.0i M Sport with adaptive suspension. I recently replaced my run flats with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Now the car is even more cruiser like and less responsive. I believe that the suspension and steering is precisely tuned by BMW for run flats. I know this is not going to play well with many. And some will say it's because I have A/S tires. Sure summer tires will be a marginally better, but not by a large degree.

Boltz

Post by Boltz » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:34 pm

Like trying to turn a wheelbarrow overloaded with too many house bricks😁.But then again I purchased my E89 after 7 yrs of owning Subaru Impreza and Forester STIs so perhaps I am being too harsh. Anyway very proud to own a Zed and have no regrets in getting one even it handles like a canal boat😂.Okay in straight line though!!!!
VW Golf GTI Edition 35

Previous E89 18i manual Msport LCI, remapped, 282 bhp 453nm torque, Supersprint exhaust, decatted, stubby, BMW Performance Big Brake Kit, Msport rear valance and diffuser, Inovit 19inch Vector alloys, Msport black grilles.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Strange one this, I've just moved from an e85 and it seems to me so far that it handles just as well..now I haven't massively tested it out but i have done a few of my favourite welsh roads and so far am completely happy with it, yes there's possibly a touch more body roll and it probably doesn't turn in quite as sharply, but it makes up for it with better damping and a weightier feel to the steering which enables it to hold a tighter line and not be knocked off by imperfections in the road...thats my thoughts anyhow, as with all things though its all about feel and thats perceived differently for all of us...yes its nose heavy too but we know and expect that and adapt to suit no? for me and my driving style it feels pretty damn good, obviously it could be improved upon but for now I don't feel the need, maybe moving from the e85 keeps my expectation a bit lower
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:09 pm

I have to agree with what most of the others have said about runflats. I got rid of them and replaced them with Goodyears F1 Asy 3s and the ride and handling is much improved and that in on a car with standard suspension.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

scootr

Post by scootr » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:19 pm

I have the same car. My 3 liter is 2010. It holds the road very well and delivers a very comfortable ride. Of course we have made a few small changes to the 60k mile car.
17" Michelin PS4 tires. 18mm spacers in the rear. Bilstein struts, rear shocks, and strut towers, Strut tower brace
I can assure you it rides and handles better than new.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 pm

Just posted this in another thread put it actually seems more relevant here.

Some of the differing opinions on handling will undoubtedly be down to tyre choice. But a big factor will be which of the three standard suspensions you are running and how healthy the shocks are. There's SE, M Sport and Adaptive all running different ride height. Then with adaptive it's also which mode you tend to drive in to further add to the mix. I've no first hand experience of the three, just the M Sport and aftermarket Bilstein B12. But if it's anything like the difference I experienced with my E85 on new B4 shocks with SE, M Sport and Eibachs it could be one hell of a difference.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:12 pm

Depends how you drive and what you want out of a car. Does it handle better than the cars I have had while the children have been growing up? Well, yeah I think so. I had a Porsche 944 Turbo at one time and an Alfa 156 (which was fun) but can't remember what they were like to drive now. This feels good enough for me. Most of the time I am not blasting round bends on the limit testing the handling. tbh if you attempted that a lot in Norfolk you mind end up decorating the front of a tractor or something. So, in short I am happy with the handling. If that means am not a true enthusiast then so be it. :) From what I have read on here swapping out the run flats would be the only change I would make.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:37 pm

Age and mileage are also important here I think. My 35is with adaptive dampers and stock springs had done 76K miles. All seemed okay, but yes like a vague boat and lacking much accuracy in placing it, with feeling of under steer.. But then you don't buy a E89 for handling, it's about the 6 pot for me.
Anyway, one damper started to weep, so I replaced all 4 with a set of BMW dampers, keeping with Adaptive. What also changed was a move to Eibach springs, plus all new BMW top mounts.
Wasn't expecting much change, but it has. Feel and turn in much improved, so is feedback. Under steer gone, it even feels a bit chuckable now, and instils much more confidence.
I would suggest new top mounts had quite a bit to do with that. So when mileage goes up, think about refreshing stuff.

Next step I should get the Eibach ARBs and some replace bushes, I'll keep oem, just new, as not to make it harsh... been there with my E85.

At the end of the day it's GT Car, not a rally car or a Boxster or MX5 or Elise. My other car is a Mk3 Focus RS, with modified adaptive/reactive suspension from Tractive..... It would be in the next county on a twisty B road before the Zed gathered it's self up.

Edit, I'm on 19's, with P4s on the rear and Pirelli P Zero on the front.
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD