Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another E89 iDrive Retrofit

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mojito

Post by Mojito » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for that... it's been an interesting challenge :)
I'm also interested... even if it does mean I've got to take the head unit out again :lol:
Well done negociating a deal, hope Admin approve a group buy.
Cheers :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 am

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:46 am Kevin :thumbsup: great write-up and a very well done on getting it finished.

Guys on the MMI box front, I've just struck a deal with a European supplier of the MMI box at a great price!!!! I've got to contact Admin to see if I can do a group buy yet, so hopefully I can sort this out if I can get enough interest 8)
What sort of price are we looking at? I am currently in talks with one of my Chinese suppliers about these boxes.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Silverstar wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 am
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:46 am Kevin :thumbsup: great write-up and a very well done on getting it finished.

Guys on the MMI box front, I've just struck a deal with a European supplier of the MMI box at a great price!!!! I've got to contact Admin to see if I can do a group buy yet, so hopefully I can sort this out if I can get enough interest 8)
What sort of price are we looking at? I am currently in talks with one of my Chinese suppliers about these boxes.
Sorry, but don't take this the wrong way, until I hear back from admin that I'm allowed to do a group buy I'm saying no more.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:07 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Sorry, but don't take this the wrong way, until I hear back from admin that I'm allowed to do a group buy I'm saying no more.

No problem I will keep an eye on this thread. :thumbsup:
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Silverstar wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:07 pm
Silverstar wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 am What sort of price are we looking at? I am currently in talks with one of my Chinese suppliers about these boxes.
Silverstar wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 am What sort of price are we looking at? I am currently in talks with one of my Chinese suppliers about these boxes.
No problem I will keep an eye on this thread. :thumbsup:
Sorry guys, my PM to admin has been opened (and I can only assume read as well) and after a week I've not had a response,. So I'll take from that I'm not welcome to do a group buy, fair enough I won't bother, no skin off my nose. I don't do this sort of thing for fun (I can assure you it certainly isn't fun!), I do it to help out :thumbsdown:
Dave

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:52 pm

Hi Dave,
Well what can I say... thank you for all your time and effort researching a really good deal for a group buy, which I think many would have taken up. A loss to all forum members :(

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:17 am

Hi Dave, thats very disappointing to hear but thanks for your efforts (including all the information/videos you supply, it is appreciated :thumbsup: ). Its a project I'm still keen to do, would you have any recommendations? thanks Rick

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:20 pm

The video for installing the MMI box is still coming, I'll be seeing exactly what video roll and photos I currently have and see if I need to refilm anything and get the install video together just as soon as I can.
As for the MMI box, I still have the company contact, so I can sort that info for anyone directly :thumbsup:

As for my iDrive retrofit, I still have some problems, but it is working so it's a low priority at the moment. Retrofit video will come along in due course.
Dave

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 am

Subscribed. I'm hoping to integrate a rear camera sometime, thankfully don't need the whole retrofit. Good info here

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Roddy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 am Subscribed. I'm hoping to integrate a rear camera sometime, thankfully don't need the whole retrofit. Good info here
This video will give you info on how to install the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-I2KSQxYb8&t

A few points though;
1) I do not recommend the type of camera I show in this video. I now have a number plate surround plate that has a camera in it. These are central and straight to the car, unlike the other type.
2) This install is with rear parking sensors, just ignore that part :D
3) To be perfectly honest, after having a reversing camera on my Z4 for the last year and half I really see absolutely no point in having it. The positioning is far too low in the first place, it is always filthy and you are at the back of the car anyway :rofl: I never look at mine, like I say normally because you can't see anything out of it. So in short, save yourself a lot of hassle and don't bother :?
Dave

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:17 am

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:23 pm
3) To be perfectly honest, after having a reversing camera on my Z4 for the last year and half I really see absolutely no point in having it. The positioning is far too low in the first place, it is always filthy and you are at the back of the car anyway :rofl: I never look at mine, like I say normally because you can't see anything out of it. So in short, save yourself a lot of hassle and don't bother :?
Thanks for that, I looked through your thread too, will be useful.
The reason is simple, a wife. She got used to it in her car, and yes it's crap when raining but.... :rofl:

Looking for a plug and play system, Bimmer-tech has one, not sure about other alternatives.

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:29 pm

iDrive retrofit update

So my iDrive retrofit has been working exactly as it should and I’m well pleased. Interestingly though, when I ditched my non runflats, it threw up one more little thing to sort…..

My Z4 E89 is a 2015 model and thus has a TPMS monitor with senders in each wheel. (TPMS – Tyre pressure monitoring system). Now, I’m told that the batteries in the sensors last 5 to 8 years and they are of course sealed units. Seemed the obvious thing to do change them at the same time and I sourced a set of original BMW sensors for £115.

All fitted, calibrated and working correctly on the car dash display, but not on the iDrive vehicle information screen. Have to admit I didn’t realise the wheels are meant to be coloured green when tyre pressures are all good on the illustration on the iDrive vehicle information screen 8) Now my donor iDrive CIC head unit is from a UK E89 made in 2013 and thus is setup for FTM, as I think the TPMS system only came in mid 2014. The Flat Tire Monitor system (FTM) works in a different way. It uses the ABS to measure each tire's rolling radius changes and with it, the rotational speed of the wheels.

I’m sure you can see where this going…. whilst my TPMS system works as it originally did before the iDrive retrofit with a dash warning, it does not work on the iDrive vehicle information display as that is set up for FTM. Not surprisingly the iDrive displays ‘FTM System Error’ :(

I know that people who have multiple wheel sets often have their cars coded to use FTM rather than TPMS, but for me that would be a retrograde step. I could have ignored it as the TPMS system was working, but as always these little things nag away at me ……….

Initially I thought I would dip my toe into the dark arts of coding and sort it myself, as my research showed it to be a simple coding fix. That proved to be an eye opener. I will happily take my car interior apart, but just setting up a laptop with the necessary software is beyond me and I’m in awe of anyone who can do this …. or the coding. Fortunately there are people out there who can and I’m indebted to Dave and Tintoverano. Dave for setting me on the right path and Tintoverano for setting up the software on my laptop and coding it remotely. Thanks guys, all sorted…. I’ve now got green wheels on the iDrive :thumbsup:

I should perhaps add that for anyone else taking on a similar retrofit this issue is unlikely to arise. It’s just a combination of iDrive donor vehicle and my car build dates that crossed with a change in BMW systems.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Mojito wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:29 pm iDrive retrofit update

So my iDrive retrofit has been working exactly as it should and I’m well pleased. Interestingly though, when I ditched my non runflats, it threw up one more little thing to sort…..

My Z4 E89 is a 2015 model and thus has a TPMS monitor with senders in each wheel. (TPMS – Tyre pressure monitoring system). Now, I’m told that the batteries in the sensors last 5 to 8 years and they are of course sealed units. Seemed the obvious thing to do change them at the same time and I sourced a set of original BMW sensors for £115.

All fitted, calibrated and working correctly on the car dash display, but not on the iDrive vehicle information screen. Have to admit I didn’t realise the wheels are meant to be coloured green when tyre pressures are all good on the illustration on the iDrive vehicle information screen 8) Now my donor iDrive CIC head unit is from a UK E89 made in 2013 and thus is setup for FTM, as I think the TPMS system only came in mid 2014. The Flat Tire Monitor system (FTM) works in a different way. It uses the ABS to measure each tire's rolling radius changes and with it, the rotational speed of the wheels.

I’m sure you can see where this going…. whilst my TPMS system works as it originally did before the iDrive retrofit with a dash warning, it does not work on the iDrive vehicle information display as that is set up for FTM. Not surprisingly the iDrive displays ‘FTM System Error’ :(

I know that people who have multiple wheel sets often have their cars coded to use FTM rather than TPMS, but for me that would be a retrograde step. I could have ignored it as the TPMS system was working, but as always these little things nag away at me ……….

Initially I thought I would dip my toe into the dark arts of coding and sort it myself, as my research showed it to be a simple coding fix. That proved to be an eye opener. I will happily take my car interior apart, but just setting up a laptop with the necessary software is beyond me and I’m in awe of anyone who can do this …. or the coding. Fortunately there are people out there who can and I’m indebted to Dave and Tintoverano. Dave for setting me on the right path and Tintoverano for setting up the software on my laptop and coding it remotely. Thanks guys, all sorted…. I’ve now got green wheels on the iDrive :thumbsup:

I should perhaps add that for anyone else taking on a similar retrofit this issue is unlikely to arise. It’s just a combination of iDrive donor vehicle and my car build dates that crossed with a change in BMW systems.
Good write up / solution...some good peeps here :thumbsup:

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks Pbondar ...... yep some great peps on the forum, thanks again guys :thumbsup: