Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Re-mapped N20 engines

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pbondar

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by Pbondar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:45 pm

Just thought I'd collect the data from known dyno runs on N20 engines for people to peruse..

Make of the figures what you may..
Attachments
remapped figures.jpg
remapped figures.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Last edited by Pbondar on Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:32 pm

Statistics eh?

On the face of your bald figures mine actually looks pretty poor in torque, which is the exact opposite of what I'm feeling through my backside.
But then, when you look closer you can see that I am getting almost all of that increase from as low as 1900rpm, which pre-remap was only about 240Nm. Therefore, for my driving style, the increase of nigh on 50% torque at such low rpm, then maintaining that right through to 5000rpm, is a massive improvement.

I was taken aback when I first saw your chart, because I thought I must be experiencing some kind of placebo effect. The real world truth though is that my car now feels torque-ily responsive as soon as I look at the pedal, giving a driving sensation not unlike that from my 335D (ok, not quite that grunt, but hopefully you'll know what I mean).

Still happy with it, that's the main thing :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jasonn

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by Jasonn » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:33 pm

I was looking at a celtic or quantum remap as my car is standard so a generic remap might be sufficient rather than needing to pay the extra for a dyno - it'll have to wait until I've changed the tyres & full service first

Pbondar

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by Pbondar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:19 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:32 pm Statistics eh?

On the face of your bald figures mine actually looks pretty poor in torque, which is the exact opposite of what I'm feeling through my backside.
But then, when you look closer you can see that I am getting almost all of that increase from as low as 1900rpm, which pre-remap was only about 240Nm. Therefore, for my driving style, the increase of nigh on 50% torque at such low rpm, then maintaining that right through to 5000rpm, is a massive improvement.

I was taken aback when I first saw your chart, because I thought I must be experiencing some kind of placebo effect. The real world truth though is that my car now feels torque-ily responsive as soon as I look at the pedal, giving a driving sensation not unlike that from my 335D (ok, not quite that grunt, but hopefully you'll know what I mean).

Still happy with it, that's the main thing :D
I think the simple numbers don’t reflect the real world experience but it’s a way of capturing some headline data..

I think it would be difficult to actually ascertain the differences even if you drive them all back to back..add the complexity of auto vs manual etc

It would be nice just to build up more data to try and fathom out what happens..of course with 4 different tuners and 4 different sets of numbers it does support the idea that these guys who tweak them on the dyno are not ending up with the same maps even if they may have started from a common point..

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:46 am

Jasonn wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:33 pm I was looking at a celtic or quantum remap as my car is standard so a generic remap might be sufficient rather than needing to pay the extra for a dyno - it'll have to wait until I've changed the tyres & full service first
Ah, but Celtic quoted me £360 to come to my door.
For the sake of a 40 mile drive I got a full dyno remap done, for £290.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mcbutler

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by mcbutler » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:20 pm

Jasonn wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:33 pm I was looking at a celtic or quantum remap as my car is standard so a generic remap might be sufficient rather than needing to pay the extra for a dyno - it'll have to wait until I've changed the tyres & full service first
Don't tell Celtic if they provide generic maps, they won't be very impressed...... I told them I thought they did, it didnt go down very well at all......
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by Nictrix » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:29 pm

mcbutler wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:20 pm
Don't tell Celtic if they provide generic maps, they won't be very impressed...... I told them I thought they did, it didnt go down very well at all......
If all celtic do is come to your house and put a map on your car without taking it on the road or put on a dyno it is exactly that, a generic map.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

R.E92

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by R.E92 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:47 pm

You can put a generic map on a dyno too. You're not getting a bespoke map on the N20 from any supplier mentioned here. The dyno part is just effectively a diagnostic tool to ensure the car is running right.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:38 am

R.E92 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:47 pm You can put a generic map on a dyno too. You're not getting a bespoke map on the N20 from any supplier mentioned here. The dyno part is just effectively a diagnostic tool to ensure the car is running right.
You have made a bit of an assumption there I think. I received more than a basic remap and blast.

Pbondar

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by Pbondar » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:54 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:38 am
R.E92 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:47 pm You can put a generic map on a dyno too. You're not getting a bespoke map on the N20 from any supplier mentioned here. The dyno part is just effectively a diagnostic tool to ensure the car is running right.
You have made a bit of an assumption there I think. I received more than a basic remap and blast.
Make that 2...in my case like I assume all tuners they must have a reference map but my chappy spent 2-3 hours twiddling with various parameters to get the result..

brillomaster

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by brillomaster » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:05 am

the only two suppliers mentioned here are Celtic and Quantum... both of which have a big network of dealers to install their maps :thumbsup:

R.E92

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by R.E92 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:08 am

They might tell you that that they built a custom tune for the car but the whole remapping market is a bit cloudy in that regard. It's mostly sales BS. If you paid £300-£500~, were on the rollers for under 2 hours and left with a printed graph in hand and absolutely no idea what they changed then the chances are you just had the same service that the vast majority of customers get.

For a bespoke map they would at least have to work with you over a few drive cycles and do part throttle work rather than just a couple of full throttle dyno runs.

Typically the only people that bother with a custom map are people that track their cars or do some semi competitive autocross style driving. You would work with a tuner over a much longer period sending them operating data of the vehicle and they would gradually tweak the car.
That kind of work gets expensive so you either pay a real tuner to work with you or you learn it yourself.

A lot of these places may have been set up by people that started by tuning their own vehicles and moved on to doing the £300 garage remap game to pay the bills. All of the tuners on the N54 platform that offer fully custom maps all started with their own cars.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by MACK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:21 am

For me it's always better to have some sort of dyno to tweak these things, providing of course the tuner's got the experience to actually tweak it. A print out to back things up is also helpful as is having somewhere to take the car back to if things don't work out.
These factors coupled to Celtic's radio silence to Pbondar over the issues he had would be more than enough to tell me to steer well clear of them at least.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:45 am

R.E92 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:08 am
They might tell you that that they built a custom tune for the car but the whole remapping market is a bit cloudy in that regard. It's mostly sales BS. If you paid £300-£500~, were on the rollers for under 2 hours and left with a printed graph in hand and absolutely no idea what they changed then the chances are you just had the same service that the vast majority of customers get.

For a bespoke map they would at least have to work with you over a few drive cycles and do part throttle work rather than just a couple of full throttle dyno runs.

Typically the only people that bother with a custom map are people that track their cars or do some semi competitive autocross style driving. You would work with a tuner over a much longer period sending them operating data of the vehicle and they would gradually tweak the car.
That kind of work gets expensive so you either pay a real tuner to work with you or you learn it yourself.

A lot of these places may have been set up by people that started by tuning their own vehicles and moved on to doing the £300 garage remap game to pay the bills. All of the tuners on the N54 platform that offer fully custom maps all started with their own cars.
Fine. Your opinion of course, and I cannot change that. Not entering into an argument about it based on assumptions.

Pbondar

Re-mapped N20 engines

Post by Pbondar » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:55 am

A typo on Smartbear torque corrected