Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

When to select 2 channel

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pbondar

When to select 2 channel

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:03 am

No the fade should work fine the only issue should be that the mid point will probably be not the normal position due to extra front performance..the slider will probably be more rear biased..just a guess..

Z4C_er

When to select 2 channel

Post by Z4C_er » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 am

Interesting reviews:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... iew.11528/
And hit the translate button for this one:
http://www.xn--80aeatqv1al.xn--p1ai/az/ ... _d1004.htm
Seems OK.
But next time I might opt for something like this:
https://mosconi-system.it/product/gladen-pico-2/
In the forum, someone has extracted a graphic (I'm thinking from Pioneer) for bridging. Thankfully, it ties in with what I/we did.
bridge.jpg
bridge.jpg (13.34 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
Last edited by Z4C_er on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Pbondar

When to select 2 channel

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:57 am

Thanks for the reviews...these Class D amps have sure changed things..seems to be quite common that the amp chips can run more power than the psu can supply..but then maybe the circuit board then goes up instead!

So the articles answer the RCS/speaker wire issue..there must be attenuation built into the adapter harnesses..so much for the comprehensive documentation..

Anyway lets hear it now pls!

Z4C_er

When to select 2 channel

Post by Z4C_er » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:05 am

Pbondar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:57 am Thanks for the reviews...these Class D amps have sure changed things..seems to be quite common that the amp chips can run more power than the psu can supply..but then maybe the circuit board then goes up instead!

So the articles answer the RCS/speaker wire issue..there must be attenuation built into the adapter harnesses..so much for the comprehensive documentation..

I added a graphic above. That has given me more confidence. Will change them this evening. Off to do mandatory DIY now....
Thanks again.

Z4C_er

When to select 2 channel

Post by Z4C_er » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:12 pm

Sorry been DIY-ing the last 2 days, but have done the re-wiring, and it's in the car. I broke out the amp power cable from the adapter (normally feeds from the head unit) and will tap into fuse 31 tomorrow (it's for the soft top which I don't have) and rated for 20A, so it should be fine for the amp, which will use a 15A fuse.

Z4C_er

When to select 2 channel

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:08 am

Pbondar wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:57 am Thanks for the reviews...these Class D amps have sure changed things..seems to be quite common that the amp chips can run more power than the psu can supply..but then maybe the circuit board then goes up instead!

OK, so I connected it all up, and no good.
Here's the outcome in bullet form:
- The rear speakers work fine.
- The front tweeters L/R receive power and seem to be OK, although seem down on power.
- The LEFT front main speakers (SW/Mid) seems to work OK.
- The RIGHT front main speakers (SW/Mid) don't work.

To be able to receive power to the tweeter on the right means the output of the amp has to be working. Something is coming from the amp. But not enough to drive the bigger speakers. Before you ask, yes, the amp is switched to 2CH setting. I also contacted Pioneer and they said the connections should be fine.

Is there an easy way to check the wiring polarities are correct? I put a multimeter across the amp output leads and they showed a positive reading, but only around 0.02v (both sides).

Any thoughts will be welcome, Master! Otherwise I'll just change back to 4 channel mode.
Yours,
Glasshoppa.

Pbondar

When to select 2 channel

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Well I would wire up the two sets of main speakers on the front two channels and switch to 4 channel mode and see what gives..that will eliminate some things..sounds to me, pun, that you have a wiring fault between amp n speakers but this step will verify that wiring integrity..

Z4C_er

When to select 2 channel

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:08 pm Well I would wire up the two sets of main speakers on the front two channels and switch to 4 channel mode and see what gives..that will eliminate some things..sounds to me, pun, that you have a wiring fault between amp n speakers but this step will verify that wiring integrity..
That would certainly do it, but... I have run it like that before and all was OK. The only difference now is that the rears have been taken out of the equation. It all seems strange. I have gone over the connections again and again.

But yes, I will try that this afternoon. Good thing is that after my complete rewiring, the head unit, amp and bluetooth dongle all get power and I have BT.

Thanks again.

Pbondar

When to select 2 channel

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:25 pm

If it’s not your wiring it’s the clever sh!t logic of the combo of selectable inputs and bridge mode..life was simpler when everything was hardwired..

Also the bmw outputs fall between two stools volts wise..another test is to frig the input with the phonos and see what gives..

Z4C_er

When to select 2 channel

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:33 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:25 pm If it’s not your wiring it’s the clever sh!t logic of the combo of selectable inputs and bridge mode..life was simpler when everything was hardwired..

Also the bmw outputs fall between two stools volts wise..another test is to frig the input with the phonos and see what gives..
This has certainly given me a headache. I think I'll revert to 4 channel mode and cop the lower output.

Pbondar

When to select 2 channel

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Grasshopper let me know how it goes on 4 channel mode..as you say compared to the OE confit should be a marked improvement plus you can run the rear speakers off the other two channels..although I’d split the front inputs and run the rear speaker amp section off the front inputs as well as on the 6 speaker system the rear outputs are heavily processed..

Z4C_er

When to select 2 channel

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:53 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:39 pm Grasshopper let me know how it goes on 4 channel mode..as you say compared to the OE confit should be a marked improvement plus you can run the rear speakers off the other two channels..although I’d split the front inputs and run the rear speaker amp section off the front inputs as well as on the 6 speaker system the rear outputs are heavily processed..
All works OK. Strange.
Thanks for the help!

Pbondar

When to select 2 channel

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:57 pm

is that with the front outputs from the HU powering all 4 channels?

Z4C_er

When to select 2 channel

Post by Z4C_er » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:57 pm is that with the front outputs from the HU powering all 4 channels?
No, I just went with the 2 front to 2 front. Rear connections by-passed and went straight to the rear speakers.

Pbondar

When to select 2 channel

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:14 pm

Ah well a base line to start from..how does its souund then?