Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My current project - Retrofit iDrive

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Thanks Dave! It helps a lot :)

I guess i'll try to change the cage on the CIC i've bought so it moves a little bit more to the front, if it works out, i'll let you guys know. If not, i'll just get a Z4 one :)

LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:59 pm

Hello,

As I'll be getting the "right" CIC headunit tomorrow I have two more (and hopefully final questions) if you could help me:
1. How did you know which wire from the iDrive controller cable to connect to the right cable from the android connector loom?
2. Do I require the donor car vin for anything (now or in the future)? I can't get hold of it as the car breaker dismantled the car around 6 years ago.

Thanks in advance :D

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 pm

LordLolzeye wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:59 pm Hello,

As I'll be getting the "right" CIC headunit tomorrow I have two more (and hopefully final questions) if you could help me:
1. How did you know which wire from the iDrive controller cable to connect to the right cable from the android connector loom?
2. Do I require the donor car vin for anything (now or in the future)? I can't get hold of it as the car breaker dismantled the car around 6 years ago.

Thanks in advance :D
OK, so fortunately I took plenty of photos of when I tried this the first time, and in relaying what I took compared to the proper wiring diagram I can tell you the following;

Pin 1, Red wire of the OE plug goes to Pin1, the Yellow wire, of the Android one.
Pin 2, Brown wire of the OE plug goes to Pin 2, the Black wire, of the Android plug.
Pin 3, Yellow/Brown of the OE plug goes to Pin 3, the Green/Black Stripe wire, of the Android plug.
Pin 4, Green/Silver wire of the OE plug goes to Pin 4, the Green wire, of the Android plug.

You won't need the VIN of the doner car, but you may need to reprogram the headunit to your VIN, but then you may not.

:thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:06 pm

OE plug, seen here soldered into the Android loom wires
20200613_112305.jpg
20200613_112305.jpg (162.34 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
And the Android plug after being cut off the loom
vlcsnap-2021-01-21-21h03m29s002.png
vlcsnap-2021-01-21-21h03m29s002.png (820.28 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Dave

LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 pm

Thanks!

I’ll come back with news after I’ve finished setting up everything (last thing i’m waiting for is the small bracket for the idrive controller since the headunit which comes tomorrow then I can start the retrofit process)

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:28 am

My MMI unit arrived this week (Andream) and as expected there is NO installation guide. I requested by mail and was sent something totally unrelated to the product I received :headbang:
So here goes. First task will be to run the wiring from front to back for the camera. The unit has the wires in the pic:
12V acc (red)
GND (black)
12V reverse camera (yellow)
Back reverse detect (purple)

And of course front and rear video input.
Do I need just the 12V and GND or the reverse detect too? I assumed that was done by the CAN BUS.
Android wiring.jpg
Android wiring.jpg (64.98 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
Attachments
MMI.jpg
MMI.jpg (53.52 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:58 pm

Roddy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:28 am My MMI unit arrived this week (Andream) and as expected there is NO installation guide. I requested by mail and was sent something totally unrelated to the product I received :headbang:
So here goes. First task will be to run the wiring from front to back for the camera. The unit has the wires in the pic:
12V acc (red) Ignore
GND (black) Run this one
12V reverse camera (yellow) Run this one
Back reverse detect (purple) Ignore

Do I need just the 12V and GND or the reverse detect too? I assumed that was done by the CAN BUS.

Android wiring.jpg
Yes reverse detection is done via canbus, you just need some power for it.

As for an installation manual, apart from my video's, here is the manual for your unit ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/rko52k57yg7w4 ... e.pdf?dl=0 :thumbsup:
Dave

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:30 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:58 pm
Roddy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:28 am My MMI unit arrived this week (Andream) and as expected there is NO installation guide. I requested by mail and was sent something totally unrelated to the product I received :headbang:
12V acc (red) Ignore
GND (black) Run this one
12V reverse camera (yellow) Run this one
Back reverse detect (purple) Ignore

Android wiring.jpg
Yes reverse detection is done via canbus, you just need some power for it.

As for an installation manual, apart from my video's, here is the manual for your unit ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/rko52k57yg7w4 ... e.pdf?dl=0 :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot for that, very helpful and I'm sure I'll find more puzzles!
On that topic... the manual shows LVDS in "connect to the screen", in your video you say the LVDS out connects to the original cable taken out of the head unit..... which is actually opposite? :?

Also the [360 exterior input] is not on this unit and isn't on the USB cable. Don't need it anyway. I notice references to NBT on that document, don't know what differences there are with CIC.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:58 pm

Roddy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:30 am Thanks a lot for that, very helpful and I'm sure I'll find more puzzles!
On that topic... the manual shows LVDS in "connect to the screen", in your video you say the LVDS out connects to the original cable taken out of the head unit..... which is actually opposite? :?

Also the [360 exterior input] is not on this unit and isn't on the USB cable. Don't need it anyway. I notice references to NBT on that document, don't know what differences there are with CIC.
Yeah, just use the manual as a guide to set up only, the information in my video is correct, the manual is incorrect! :D

Not sure why they have taken the 360 camera option out completely then :?
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:38 pm

OK, so an update for anyone still interested......

This has been very convoluted, it’s not so much been a problem as finding the time to actually sort it. And by “it” I mean the Bluetooth.
As stated above I fitted a used MULF, OK not in the conventional place of in the boot but above the glovebox as there was room for it and this saved me in removing all of the panels and running cables to the boot.

A bit of tech first….
On the iDrive system you either have a MULF or a Combox. In turn this then transmits the signals from the Bluetooth, USB and AUX to the headunit via the MOST fibre optic wires.
This can also be the same in a non-iDrive Z4 that has factory Bluetooth.

So when I fitted the MULF I re-routed the AUX and USB feeds to the position above the glovebox and used the factory fitted MOST lines (factory CD changer prep). As far as the AUX and USB these worked perfectly fine with the new iDrive system, but I couldn’t find a way to activate the Bluetooth no matter what research I did. Now as I had the MMI box it wasn’t really a priority as I had Bluetooth through there, but it was annoying as I wanted it all working correctly.

Anyway I took the plunge and bought a Combox and decided to try with that and see where it went. I rewire the connections from the MULF to a new connector for the Combox plugged it all in and tested it and I got AUX and USB working perfectly. I tried the Bluetooth and instead of “Please wait…” constantly it showed options for connecting a phone, so I connected it and low and behold Eureka!!! Not only do I now have fully working Bluetooth for calls but also Bluetooth music all working.
So I’ve also managed to do a software update as well (I managed to find the VIN of an identical Z4 with iDrive) and have updated that, and now also have album art in the USB music option.

So I’m now working on one last thing for it and that is to have reversing camera image on the factory PDC screen. Apparently this is an option in the E9x series, the option to alter the written code for it is present and today I tested the VO code to see if it would accept it and it did. So the next thing to do now is to get hold of an emulator for this and test it out with my current rear camera. All being well it’ll work perfectly. And yes I know I already have it with my MMI box, but I like a challenge and I like to see factory options all working. :P :thumbsup:

So I'm a happy bunny having completed this now, which means I can finish off my iDrive retrofit video and pop it up on my YouTube channel. Also managed to film another video today while I was out there, so plenty of content coming soon :thumbsup:
Attachments
20210220_122453.jpg
20210220_122453.jpg (101.32 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
20210220_132710.jpg
20210220_132710.jpg (88.47 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Dave

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi Dave.... and well done.. perseverance paid off :thumbsup:
My iDrive retrofit all working well too. Cheers Kevin
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:54 pm

You sure do like to set your self a challenge Dave. So what do you prefer then, the android after market screen or the oem Idrive screen ?
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Ed.Straker

Post by Ed.Straker » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:55 pm

Very impressive research work and determination...how much was the com box?
White 35i MSport MHD re-map…still in one piece

Atacama Yellow 20i MSport Auto. Remapped, more to be done…written off

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:18 pm

Mojito wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:53 pm Hi Dave.... and well done.. perseverance paid off :thumbsup:
My iDrive retrofit all working well too. Cheers Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I'm pleased it's finally sorted :thumbsup:
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:54 pm You sure do like to set your self a challenge Dave. So what do you prefer then, the android after market screen or the oem Idrive screen ?
I like a challenge :D :rofl:
Personally for what I want out of it I prefer the OE screen with the MMI box as it gives me all that I use :driving:
Dave