Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My current project - Retrofit iDrive

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mojito

Post by Mojito » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:12 am

Hi Pbondar,
Really interesting info re the screen. Hope I never need to replace mine, finding a careful fitter could be a nightmare! As Dave has suggested I will opt for an aftermarket GPS receiver and mount it under dashtop grill. Thanks your input , much appreciated. Kevin
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

Maybach_man

Post by Maybach_man » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:32 am

Hi all
How do you find out if you have a combox fitted or not.... Simply if you cant stream music its not fitted?

i have just done the vin lookup thing... my car was supplied with S609a Navigation Professional. Reading up on this..this seems to include 'enhanced bluetooth' which should include music streaming...is this correct...

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:18 am

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the warm welcome… and great advice.

I had a feeling that swopping the cage over would be an interesting challenge, but you’ve given me an advantage here, as I now know which way to work at it. Even if I get stuck, I know it’s possible, because you’ve managed it!
Actually I’m not too worried about the mechanics of fitting the parts, but getting the wiring right is my main concern at the moment. As previously mentioned I’m not rushing this project, the installation is all part of the 'fun' for me, so I’m going to take my time. I will also keep this thread updated, so that my trials and tribulations might help others.

Haven’t had time to research a GPS receiver yet, but I have been looking at CIC Emulators. I’ve found one on Ebay “BMW CIC retrofit adapter emulator,video in motion,navi,voice control activation, £55”. Any good or should I look elsewhere? If I go for the plug and play version, I can simply tap into it’s canbus and power lines and make up a sub loom for the controller and screen as you have done. Infact that seems like the best way to approach it – thanks for the tip Did you just tuck the emulator in behind the cage?

All will no doubt be clearer when the parts arrive and I can see what I’ve got in the way of cables. I’ll keep you updated and post some pics.

Thanks again all your help.

Kevin

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 am

Mojito wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:12 am Hi Pbondar,
Really interesting info re the screen. Hope I never need to replace mine, finding a careful fitter could be a nightmare! As Dave has suggested I will opt for an aftermarket GPS receiver and mount it under dashtop grill. Thanks your input , much appreciated. Kevin
I was fortunate that the insurance company glass supplier local manager was on top of his game..

He stated that many of his subordinates had f€%&ed up these combo gps/rain sensing windscreen installations so he personally did all those versions..he was meticulous and it was a perfect fit..I did have the luxury of having the car at home and had to wait for 10 days for a genuine screen to come from Germany :thumbsup:

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Hi All,
An update on where I am with my iDrive retrofit. The main components are still enroute from Lithuania, so following Dave's excellent advice on the installation, I've now ordered a GPs receiver and an emulator. The GPS receiver was easy to source and just for once a cheap component! I plan on mounting it under the dashtop grill, so basically found an aftermarket one that had good reviews, works when mounted in dash and had the right connector... we shall see if I've chosen well in due course! Sourced through Amazon £10.

The emulator has proved a bit more difficult. Plenty listed on ebay, but finding one that will definately work in my E89 setup not quite so easy. I contacted several UK sellers and either got negatives or no reply at all. I just might need a bit of support, so contacted a supplier in Lithuania..... why is it that I'm buying most bits from Lithuania! Very helpful and quick response, so ordered 'plug and play' version as I'm again taking Dave's advice (thank you Dave once again) and tapping into the emulator loom for connections to iDrive controller and Screen. That way I can make up a sub loom that is ready to plug in when I get to the actual installation. The emulator was considerably more expensive than most available in UK, but I'm confident it's a quality one and support is available - £120. Final order today was a roll of fabric loom tape as I'm keen to make a neat job of this.
Attachments
GPS Receiver.png
GPS Receiver.png (378.42 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Emulator.png
Emulator.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 913 times

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:08 pm

What is the emulator for?

You should be able to code the CIC to the car without problems these days. I thought emulators were only required for the days when people couldn't get around FSC activations.

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi R.E92,
Well, I'm still very much learning as I go on this and think I should defer to someone with more knwledge than me. My understanding though is that you can either use an emulator or have it script activated. An emulator is a simple solution, but for me script activation would be a nightmare I simply do not understand. I'm told emulators can give sluggish operation.... I shall find out in due course! I'm sure someone can give a proper technical answer.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:11 pm

An emulator sounds like a bad solution to me. I'd start a thread asking about it on E90post.

I know the inner workings of the nav units has been blown wide open in the last couple of years. I recently updated the maps on my brothers NBT equipped car and generating the relevant FSC codes was a 10min DIY job.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:55 am

OK, well to answer the point on the emulator here, and I'll state now that I'm not saying anyone is wrong, this is just what has happened to myself!! :P

Right I ordered and fitted an emulator as this is what I'd found when looking into all of this.
When I came to update the maps to 2020 it still asked me for the FSC code before it would let me update, which I thought was a little odd as it should have just continued having the emulator already there. Fortunately I'd already got the FSC code anyway so was able to just continue with the update.
So was it worth it? Well for the £30 it cost me (bought from AliExpress, shipped over in plenty of time before I needed it) it's there and has now also been modified to accommodate the leads for the iDrive Controller and screen (power + canbus) rather than break into the OEM loom with limited access.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:48 pm

UPDATE (again!) :D

Full ICOM has now been ordered and will be on the way shortly. New (third, 500GB) hard drive is ready to be installed on the laptop along with a dual-boot OS (Win 7) to load all the software onto (Yes I'm aware some people say it can be installed on Win 10 but I couldn't get it to work so decided to do it this way :thumbsup: ). So hopefully I'll be sorted with full Bluetooth within a couple of weeks........ well I hope so anyway :?
Dave

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:29 pm

Interesting updates Dave.
I'm also making a bit of progress, but just wanted to check with you if it's okay to discuss my retrofit progress/cries for help (!) on a thread you started about your own iDrive retrofit. I would hate to offend and quite understand if I should start a new thread. New to the forum and want to doing things correctly.
Thanks Kevin

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:29 pm

Mojito wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:29 pm Interesting updates Dave.
I'm also making a bit of progress, but just wanted to check with you if it's okay to discuss my retrofit progress/cries for help (!) on a thread you started about your own iDrive retrofit. I would hate to offend and quite understand if I should start a new thread. New to the forum and want to doing things correctly.
Thanks Kevin
Kevin, I've got no problem with it but it could become confusing. Saying that if anyone searched in the future they'd at least find both of our experiences in one place!! :thumbsup:
Dave

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense . I’ll start a new thread when I get a moment – “Another iDrive retrofit”. It’s going to be peppered with loads of references to your project anyway, because without your lead and inspiration I simply wouldn’t have taken this on! If I need help I’ll probably post a cry for help on your thread. Talking of which…….

So a delivery from Lithuania a couple of days ago and I’m well pleased, all looks to be in very good condition. I’ve now got all the parts, including that vital cage, with the exception of the emulator and it’s plug and play loom. Following your mention of FSC codes and the need for one when updating maps, I did a bit more research. I might be wrong, but I don’t think the emulator will get round this, but I stand to be corrected. Fortunately I had secured the VIN for my donor car, so a code can always be generated from this. So much to learn…

I’ve been working on the wiring for the controller and screen. There is loads of information out there on this for retrofits on other BMW models, but little that is specific to E89. I assumed initially that wiring these components would be pretty standard across the BMW range, but there is conflicting information on colours/pins out there. So if I may, can I check the following with you, suspect you or another member will know, having been there! Photos attached to make clearer.

Screen : 4 x wires : Orange, Grey, Blue, Yellow. In my case these then go to a 4 pin keyed connector as follows.

Pin 1 - Orange to Yellow/Red. Positive?
Pin 2 - Grey to Brown/Black. Ground?
Pin 3 – Blue to Orange/Green (Twisted Pair) Pretty sure that’s K-Can High
Pin 4 – Yellow to Green (Twisted Pair) Pretty sure that’s K-Can Low

iDrive Controller (2013 – 9285447 01)
Confusing because only three wires out of the 4 pin plug! Based on wire colours this doesn’t match at all to what I had been expecting each pin to be….

Pin 1 Black – Ground?
Pin 2 White – K-Can Low?
Pin 3 Yellow – K-Can High?
Pin 4 …. No wire. Positive feed?

(My research indicated it should be:
Pin 1 – Positive feed
Pin 2 - Ground
Pin 3 – K-Can High
Pin 4 – K-Can Low)

Hope all this makes sense and sorry for the long post. Thanks all your help.
Cheers Kevin
Attachments
Screen Wiring.JPG
Screen Wiring.JPG (84.28 KiB) Viewed 808 times
iDrive connector.JPG
iDrive connector.JPG (114.18 KiB) Viewed 808 times

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:40 pm

Mojito's iDrive retrofit update. Hi Dave, posted here as half way through this query on your thread. Will now start my own :)
Following my post ref. wiring for screen and iDrive controller I've scoured the net, countless photos and forums, and think I've finally got it. If I'm right (!) pin wiring for the screen is as I previously thought:

4 x wires from screen : Orange, Grey, Blue, Yellow. In my case these then go through a 4 pin keyed connector as follows.
Pin 1 - Orange to Yellow/Red. Positive
Pin 2 - Grey to Brown/Black. Ground
Pin 3 – Blue to Orange/Green (Twisted Pair) K-Can High
Pin 4 – Yellow to Green (Twisted Pair) K-Can Low

The idrive controller should be wired as my previous research indicated, not as I summised it might be. I'm ignoring the 4 pin keyed connector with three wires that came with the controller, as I think it's a red herring. These connectors have multiple uses and I don't think this was the original iDrive connector.... three wires only is a bit of a giveaway! So, again if I'm right, iDrive wiring should be:
Pin 1 – Positive feed
Pin 2 - Ground
Pin 3 – K-Can High
Pin 4 – K-Can Low

If you or anyone else can confirm or otherwise that would be reassuring. Cheers.

Half the fun is the research and the other half is going to be battling with removing half the car to fit it......

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:59 am

Mojito wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:40 pm Mojito's iDrive retrofit update. Hi Dave, posted here as half way through this query on your thread. Will now start my own :)
Following my post ref. wiring for screen and iDrive controller I've scoured the net, countless photos and forums, and think I've finally got it. If I'm right (!) pin wiring for the screen is as I previously thought:

4 x wires from screen : Orange, Grey, Blue, Yellow. In my case these then go through a 4 pin keyed connector as follows.
Pin 1 - Orange to Yellow/Red. Positive
Pin 2 - Grey to Brown/Black. Ground
Pin 3 – Blue to Orange/Green (Twisted Pair) K-Can High
Pin 4 – Yellow to Green (Twisted Pair) K-Can Low

The idrive controller should be wired as my previous research indicated, not as I summised it might be. I'm ignoring the 4 pin keyed connector with three wires that came with the controller, as I think it's a red herring. These connectors have multiple uses and I don't think this was the original iDrive connector.... three wires only is a bit of a giveaway! So, again if I'm right, iDrive wiring should be:
Pin 1 – Positive feed
Pin 2 - Ground
Pin 3 – K-Can High
Pin 4 – K-Can Low

If you or anyone else can confirm or otherwise that would be reassuring. Cheers.

Half the fun is the research and the other half is going to be battling with removing half the car to fit it......
Sorry bud, I've been off-line for a few days as I'm busy with non-BMW projects....

This is the wiring diagram for the controller...
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e89- ... r/2dbZ4fzL

And the CID (screen)...
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e89- ... y/INAlGSNc

I use this site for all of my wiring info.
Dave