Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My current project - Retrofit iDrive

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:23 pm

Ed.Straker wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:55 pm Very impressive research work and determination...how much was the com box?
I managed to pick the combox up for £100, so not a bad price at all as I've seen them for a lot more than that.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Ed.Straker

Post by Ed.Straker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:23 am

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:23 pm
Ed.Straker wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:55 pm Very impressive research work and determination...how much was the com box?
I managed to pick the combox up for £100, so not a bad price at all as I've seen them for a lot more than that.
Noted thnx..still looking for a car with most options already fitted but watch your upgrade threads with interest :thumbsup:
White 35i MSport MHD re-map…still in one piece

Atacama Yellow 20i MSport Auto. Remapped, more to be done…written off

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 am

UPDATE

Almost there with the iDrive install video, just had to do some more videoing for added value :D

So I've also got another project for it, well more of an add-on actually and that is factory DAB module, already coded and I've got all the parts just need to find the time to actually fit it (hopefully this coming Friday) and I'll have that option as well.
Apparently you can add the DAB module to any Z4 that has the MOST lines, you just need the parts and they are not expensive :thumbsup:
Attachments
wwwwww.jpg
wwwwww.jpg (67.05 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 05, 2021 10:43 pm

So, finally after months of delays I've got the retrofit video for the iDrive installation uploaded.
Hope you like it.....
https://youtu.be/wYQgNDj4Fac
:thumbsup:
Dave

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 am

Hi Dave,
Ah... I've been looking forward to your idrive installation video :) Pleased to say my retrofit continues to work perfecctly... thanks to all your help and advice along the way :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri May 21, 2021 10:46 pm

Just a little update.....
I've not mentioned this before but I've had problems with the sat-nav, to be precise the receiving of GPS signals.
I first noticed this about a month after I'd fitted the iDrive, we'd gone away for a few days and set the sat-nav up for the route in readiness but didn't actually use it as my wife's iPhone was connected to CarPlay. While there though I switched over to it and noticed we were in the middle of the North Sea, which was odd as I wasn't swimming at the time!! :?
Anyway moving forward, I assumed the GPS antenna was bad so as I had a spare I tried that, still the same. Now you can get into the hidden menu and check your GPS signal, it was reading 14 satellites but no GPS signal, unplugged the wire and it showed "Check Antenna " and no satellites so must have been reading from the antenna to some degree.
Getting hold of genuine e89 antennas isn't easy or cheap, so as I didn't want to pay out too much for a hunch I got hold of a E90 shark fin antenna to try that. Well to cut a very long-winded story short I've tried this E90 one and it now shows a 3D Fix so all is good. Just got to find a way of either fitting it inside the grill on top of the dash so you don't know it's there or getting hold of an E89 one and fitting that.

This is another one of those "although I'll probably not use it, I want it working properly" items in the car, I don't like things that don't work! :thumbsup:
Dave

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Fri May 21, 2021 11:45 pm

Hi Dave,
Always like your "although I'll probably not use it, I want it working properly" updates :)

When I followed your lead and did my iDrive retrofit, I had a similar issue.... except my car appeared to be in Africa :lol: I had fitted the inexpensive GPS receiver everyone seems to use on Android installations under the dashboard grill and couldn't get a GPS lock. It may well be a different cause, but I did find a solution. You've probably tried something similar already, but just might be helpful to someone. It's under my thread "Another E89 iDrive Retrofit":

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=124184&start=15

There are two posts on the thread which are relevant to this problem. The first shows my initial solution mounting the GPS receiver on the dash. It worked well, but I wasn't pleased with how it looked, so came up with a neat hidden installation under a modified grill. It's worked faultlessly for 8 months now and I think is exactly the same GPS receiver as you originally used.

I'm interested to see how you fit the Sharksfin - I nearly bought one too :)
Cheers Kevin

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat May 22, 2021 9:09 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:46 pm Just a little update.....
I've not mentioned this before but I've had problems with the sat-nav, to be precise the receiving of GPS signals.
I first noticed this about a month after I'd fitted the iDrive, we'd gone away for a few days and set the sat-nav up for the route in readiness but didn't actually use it as my wife's iPhone was connected to CarPlay. While there though I switched over to it and noticed we were in the middle of the North Sea, which was odd as I wasn't swimming at the time!! :?
Anyway moving forward, I assumed the GPS antenna was bad so as I had a spare I tried that, still the same. Now you can get into the hidden menu and check your GPS signal, it was reading 14 satellites but no GPS signal, unplugged the wire and it showed "Check Antenna " and no satellites so must have been reading from the antenna to some degree.
Getting hold of genuine e89 antennas isn't easy or cheap, so as I didn't want to pay out too much for a hunch I got hold of a E90 shark fin antenna to try that. Well to cut a very long-winded story short I've tried this E90 one and it now shows a 3D Fix so all is good. Just got to find a way of either fitting it inside the grill on top of the dash so you don't know it's there or getting hold of an E89 one and fitting that.

This is another one of those "although I'll probably not use it, I want it working properly" items in the car, I don't like things that don't work! :thumbsup:
Out of interest did you try the aerial outside the car rather than in the dash?

Most GPS aerials require a power feed up the cable to power the electronics around the aerial..just wondered if they got their sums right?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun May 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Mojito wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:45 pm.......

Cheers Kevin
Thanks Kevin for that, good point on the metal grill, hadn't even entered my mind on that possibly being the problem, I'll check it out :thumbsup:

There are 2 other antennas that stick upwards on the shark fin, can't remember exactly what they are for but as I don't need them I've snapped them off (tested afterwards and it's all good still). I'll follow your lead on that and cut the grill and mount it under there, as I've not got a speaker then it should work fine without issue.
I'll post up when I've had time to have a play with it.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun May 23, 2021 6:57 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:09 am Out of interest did you try the aerial outside the car rather than in the dash?

Most GPS aerials require a power feed up the cable to power the electronics around the aerial..just wondered if they got their sums right?
To be honest, no I didn't :?
As for power-wise, yeah probably not, hence why the proper BMW one works fine.
I'll get it work, one way or the other 8)
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat May 29, 2021 1:52 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:50 pm
Mojito wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:45 pm.......

Cheers Kevin
Thanks Kevin for that, good point on the metal grill, hadn't even entered my mind on that possibly being the problem, I'll check it out :thumbsup:

There are 2 other antennas that stick upwards on the shark fin, can't remember exactly what they are for but as I don't need them I've snapped them off (tested afterwards and it's all good still). I'll follow your lead on that and cut the grill and mount it under there, as I've not got a speaker then it should work fine without issue.
I'll post up when I've had time to have a play with it.
Kevin, spot on bud :thumbsup:
I've followed your method and cut a hole, then cut a little bigger one :rofl: covered it in speaker fabric and perfect, full 3D Fix achieved :thumbsup:
Everything back in and fully functional :driving:

Oh and a top tip, having a new battery helps things work properly :rofl: (nothing to do with the GPS though)
Dave

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Sat May 29, 2021 2:14 pm

Hi Dave,
Excellent news - just pleased to have been able to throw something back your way after all the help you gave me :thumbsup:

birdy_z4

Post by birdy_z4 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:13 am

Dave

How did you get on with the DAB installation as interested to get his installed in my Z4 either before or after a combox upgrade

How can I check if I have the MOST lines ?

What other parts would be needed?

Cheers

Carl
AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 am UPDATE

Almost there with the iDrive install video, just had to do some more videoing for added value :D

So I've also got another project for it, well more of an add-on actually and that is factory DAB module, already coded and I've got all the parts just need to find the time to actually fit it (hopefully this coming Friday) and I'll have that option as well.
Apparently you can add the DAB module to any Z4 that has the MOST lines, you just need the parts and they are not expensive :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:53 pm

birdy_z4 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:13 am Dave

How did you get on with the DAB installation as interested to get his installed in my Z4 either before or after a combox upgrade

Cheers

Carl
Hi Carl,
Well, so far, I haven't! I did a temp fitment to test it and it didn't see the module, I'm presuming that it'll require the MOST line coding and that can only be done using an ICOM hooked up to ISTA software. I do have all of that but I didn't have the opertunity at the time to try it out and I've not got back to it since.

As for what's required...
DAB module
Module bracket
MOST line
MOST Y line
DAB antennas

As for how to check if your MOST line is active, remove the headunit and unplug the MOST line. If there is light coming from one of the lines then it's an active MOST.

Hooe that helps.
Dave

birdy_z4

Post by birdy_z4 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks Dave, do you have any part numbers at all ?

Thanks

Carl :D
AnubisZed wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:53 pm
birdy_z4 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:13 am Dave

Cheers

Carl
Hi Carl,
Well, so far, I haven't! I did a temp fitment to test it and it didn't see the module, I'm presuming that it'll require the MOST line coding and that can only be done using an ICOM hooked up to ISTA software. I do have all of that but I didn't have the opertunity at the time to try it out and I've not got back to it since.

As for what's required...
DAB module
Module bracket
MOST line
MOST Y line
DAB antennas

As for how to check if your MOST line is active, remove the headunit and unplug the MOST line. If there is light coming from one of the lines then it's an active MOST.

Hooe that helps.