Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Colin_E

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by Colin_E » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 pm

My plan had been to get my 20i E89 mapped by Celtic this Spring but for predictable reasons it didn't happen.
Now i see they offer a sort of DIY approach called Emotion.
Anyone used it and have any opinions? Seems a little expensive (dearer than a regular Celtic remap unless their prices went up a lot lately) but if it works as well and can be reverted to stock or re-enabled at will it may be worth considering?
Thoughts?

Pbondar

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi, it seems to be largely a public use of the version that dealers would have used..

It’s the same rated power change as the normal re-map..

For the N20 engines, where for most people, an ECU re-map is a once only event it’s expensive for what most people will see as a one off event..

Now if you had several cars and there was some deeply discounted pricing it would be a different story ..IMHO..

R.E92

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by R.E92 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:38 pm

It's just a re-badged Alientech Powergate. Not the best hardware out there but it will give you the same end result as a trip to Celtic and as mentioned you have the ability to remove and reapply the map should the car ever get updated at a dealer.

I used a Powergate for mapping my car before MHD came out, it should allow you to customise the map which is a nice perk.

You don't have any good options for a tune on the N20 equipped Z4 so I suppose it's the best of a bad bunch. Other cars with the N20 can use bootmod3 which is on par with MHD but that's currently only available to newer cars with the N20.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by MACK » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:40 am

What sort of money is this? Indeed what sort of money is a normal Celtic remap? I normally use a company in Wolverhampton for remapping called Ptorque, Im just wondering how prices compare
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Colin_E

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by Colin_E » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:37 am

Celtic quoted me £360 late last year for a stage 3 remap. I believe their pricing varies by region as I saw posts on this forum around the same time from people who were getting quoted / charged £300.
By comparison the E-motion is £425.
I agree that in all likelihood a remap (however it's done) will be a one-time event. I probably wouldn't consider the E-motion under normal circumstances but a regular remap is a bit too risky for me at the moment as I'm moderately vulnerable in COVID terms.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:40 am

Colin_E wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:37 am Celtic quoted me £360 late last year for a stage 3 remap. I believe their pricing varies by region as I saw posts on this forum around the same time from people who were getting quoted / charged £300.
I agree that in all likelihood a remap (however it's done) will be a one-time event. I probably wouldn't consider the E-motion under normal circumstances but a regular remap is a bit too risky for me at the moment as I'm moderately vulnerable in COVID terms.
Forgive what may be a stoopid question, but is the E-motion only able to be used on one vehicle?
What stops you finding another owner who wants theirs done and thereby halving your costs?
Do they register it to your VIN or something?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

R.E92

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by R.E92 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:48 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:40 am
Colin_E wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:37 am Celtic quoted me £360 late last year for a stage 3 remap. I believe their pricing varies by region as I saw posts on this forum around the same time from people who were getting quoted / charged £300.
Forgive what may be a stoopid question, but is the E-motion only able to be used on one vehicle?
What stops you finding another owner who wants theirs done and thereby halving your costs?
Do they register it to your VIN or something?
It will be VIN locked. The Alientech Powergate I used had VIN lock built in, you could remove the map from the car and sell it on though.

I know a way of circumventing that so you can apply the map to as many cars as you want, could be useful if you have a few friends that also want a map.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by MACK » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:41 am

Thanks
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

mcbutler

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by mcbutler » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:15 am

Celtic have an excellent rep, personally I would get it mapped by them at their facility which is top notch. If its done on a dyno you know you are getting what you pay for. Gains quoted are always approximate and differ from car to car with engine wear, fuel octanes etc....
Celtic will give you a 12 month warranty against damamge caused by the remap, once its done you test it, if your not happy you walk away with no payment...
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by Silverstar » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:57 am

mcbutler wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:15 am Celtic will give you a 12 month warranty against damamge caused by the remap, once its done you test it, if your not happy you walk away with no payment...
It's a very limited warranty that only applies to cars under 3 years old and 60,000 miles and basically it is only to cover those cars where the manufacturer won't honour the warranty due to the remap. That means none of our E89 or E85 / E86 cars are covered. I haven't found any chip tuning company that will give a warranty on these cars.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Colin_E

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by Colin_E » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:56 pm

For sure my original plan was to have a 'full service' remapping by Celtic either at their facility or by one of their agents locally. Newquay is a fair hike from here! No question about Celtic's reputation.

A quick question here for those who've done it - is there usually much tweaking or tinkering AFTER the map has been applied? That would certainly lend weight to the argument to getting it done the conventional way.

My rationale for considering the E-motion device is that it's still a Celtic map and they would still back it by the warranty Silverstar mentions (if my car qualified) and my Covid vulnerability mean that it would have to go on hold otherwise.
FWIW I'm still undecided!

Pbondar

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:59 pm

The Celtic approach is a standard map for a standard car....the dyno run just has the benefit of a before and after benchmark on a consistent basis..

So if you want to pay the price premium for COVID-19 related reasons then fill your boots..

The fact that Celtic does offer even a limited warranty is one up on many others..

For the record Celtic backed off from a 295bhp version to a 280bhp version because of concerns that it MAY have been too much under certain circumstances..

paul4monty

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by paul4monty » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:14 pm

I've just had my 18i remapped and it is truly a different car. The remap has made an unbelievable difference to the car.

I think I anticipated the power being increased at revs when the turbo is spooled up, and it is. Even more impressive for me - the improved torque. The car will pull smoothly from 1,000 rpm in top and the sensation becomes quite dramatic when the turbos kick in.

Tractability and flexibility remain completely unaffected, and driving in traffic etc is as smooth as it was before. I am well impressed.

If you're in the Midlands call

*** Deleted by mod ***

You won't be disappointed.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:33 pm

paul4monty wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:14 pm I've just had my 18i remapped and it is truly a different car. The remap has made an unbelievable difference to the car.

I think I anticipated the power being increased at revs when the turbo is spooled up, and it is. Even more impressive for me - the improved torque. The car will pull smoothly from 1,000 rpm in top and the sensation becomes quite dramatic when the turbos kick in.

Tractability and flexibility remain completely unaffected, and driving in traffic etc is as smooth as it was before. I am well impressed.

What map have you had installed?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Celtic E-motion Mapping

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:33 pm
paul4monty wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:14 pm I've just had my 18i remapped and it is truly a different car. The remap has made an unbelievable difference to the car.

What map have you had installed?
Rob
He's in the Midlands Rob, probably one with Leicester and the A14 on it :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: