Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bilstein/Eibach B12 Kit and new wheels and tyres

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Just posted this in another thread, but thought it might be worth posting here to.

Over the last week I've fitted a Bilstein/Eibach B12 kit to our E89 20i. I've also swapping out the 19" 326's wheels with Bridgestone runflat tyres 225/35 255/30 it came with, for my 18" ZITO 935's with Goodyear F1 225/45 255/40 off my E85.
Finally had the opportunity to try it on the road going to Tesco's and back, a trip of about 10 miles (with a couple of them motorway miles) and I have to say what a transformation! I'm really starting to quite like this car :oops: Which I have to admit is something I didn't think was going to happen as it was bought as 2nd car for the wife.

I'd already tried the car with the Zito/Goodyears on the original suspension when we first got the car a month or so back, so knew what a difference alone they made but had put them back on my E85.

I did initially try just the B12 kit with the 19" 326s/runflats earlier in the week (before the lock down) and even without the swap to smaller wheels and non runflats the car was massively transformed. It's so much more composed, less jittery and more sure footed on the on the road. There's also a lot less roll in the bends, which was my major aim. I think the thing that has surprised me the most is the ride quality feels at least as good as it did on the 8 year old 70k M Sport suspension. I was actually expecting it to feel a bit harder. All in all very pleased with the outcome and has for me at least proved ther's lots of room for improvement with the E89 chassis.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ouroux71

Post by Ouroux71 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:15 pm

My Goodyear 19'' tyres are coming soon.. Part 1 of my Z4 handling improvements..
Rear GOODYEAR Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 255/30R19 91 Y and front GOODYEAR Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 225/35R19 88 Y..

I want to change my suspension with a kit like yours but also with this when it comes out
https://www.superproeurope.com/news.rea ... rticleid=4

Regards

Mark
2.3SDrive 2009 6spd, 47K: Sapphire black.PDC, Ski Hatch, Ext- Lighting, headlamp wash, storage pack, Canberra Beige leather, rain sensor/auto lights, auto rear mirror, seat heating, wind deflector, 19'' wheels. B16 suspension, cruise, BT, rear camera

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:35 pm

Good to hear your thoughts on this kit, I wonder how it would drive with 19" and non run flats? I am planning on adding this kit at some point and I have currently 18" but was thinking about going up to 19" after adding this kit.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:52 pm

I have the same kit almost with the Bilstein B8 fitted to the existing msport springs with Zito 935s running continental sport 5p 235/40 18 and 255/35 18

I added the H&R anti roll bars at the same...

I also found a great improvement in handling at the expense of a slightly jiggley ride at slower speeds over road ripples...

I have another set of Continental 5 tyres on 17 inch rims which I was going to try after I had worn the 18s away this summer, that plan is on hold..

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:38 am

Ouroux71 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:15 pm My Goodyear 19'' tyres are coming soon.. Part 1 of my Z4 handling improvements..
Rear GOODYEAR Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 255/30R19 91 Y and front GOODYEAR Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 225/35R19 88 Y..

I want to change my suspension with a kit like yours but also with this when it comes out

Regards

Mark
Hi,

I had seen mention of the superpro stuff somewhere but I haven't priced it up, to be honest I probably would want to go the whole hog of doing all of them. I was actually thinking of going down the E9x M3 route for the upper & lower front arms which some folks on here and other forums have done with good results. They're quite reasonably priced too.
Pbondar wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:52 pm I have the same kit almost with the Bilstein B8 fitted to the existing msport springs with Zito 935s running continental sport 5p 235/40 18 and 255/35 18

I also found a great improvement in handling at the expense of a slightly jiggley ride at slower speeds over road ripples...

I have another set of Continental 5 tyres on 17 inch rims which I was going to try after I had worn the 18s away this summer, that plan is on hold..
I think the ARBs are going to be my next mod on it as although the roll has been reduced with the B12 kit its still there to a certain degree so obviously the hope is an Eibach or H&R ARB kit will dial it out. My current bench mark for this is our G20 320D M Sport which really does handle quite brilliantly, especially for factory suspension, it has next to no roll.
I am wondering if the slightly jiggly ride your getting is down to the ARBs or its actually due to the factory M Sport springs your using, I dont really have this on my mine with the Eibachs, have you considered a spring swap?
Silverstar wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:35 pm Good to hear your thoughts on this kit, I wonder how it would drive with 19" and non run flats? I am planning on adding this kit at some point and I have currently 18" but was thinking about going up to 19" after adding this kit.
I had been wondering this myself, at the moment the tyres I'm using are slightly oversized at 225/45/18 255/40/18 so basically the same amount of sidewall as standard tyres on 17" wheels, so I've realistically I've got about a smooth a ride as you can hope for in an E89. The only downsides are bigger sidewalls have more flex so the turn in won't be as sharp as it could be and coupled with the Zito's having an offset of ET35 as apposed to the standard ET29 its pushed the scrub radius another 10mm negative which will be dulling the steering feel somewhat. At the moment I quite like the black wheel look on white, I think it makes the car look more sporty than the silver in an SE to M Sport sort of way. So I'm currently thinking (at least for now) of keeping the Zitos on and going to the standard 225/40 and 255/35 which should sharpen the turn in slightly as well as reduce the affect on the scrub radius to circa 5mm. Going to 19" in black isn't that noticeable over 18" with the obvious benefit of better ride quality with the smaller wheel. However if I go back to silver (and I do really like the 326s) it has to 19", the 18" just look a little too small in silver on the E89 to my eyes. Going back to the 326 would have the added benefit of putting the scrub back to the factory setting too. Quite torn on this one, better make my mind up before buying some tyres!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:32 am

The theory says that stiffer ARBs will impute a bump steer effect more than a ‘jiggle’ in a straight line..as I threw the old ARBs away too late to do an A B swap.

I do perceive a slightly heavier steering with the Zito 935 offsets but that’s something you can adjust too..

Spring wise the msport springs in collaboration with the B8s seems a ok so loath to spend time and cash swapping them out..

Apart from cosmetic perceptions IMHO the 19” offers nothing on the road...more unsprung weight, poorer ride comfort.

For me I think the best combo is with the 17 wheels which have OE offsets but I have to await that test...

We then get into what has been a very subjective issue of the N20 engine weight and distribution compared to the 6 potters..

I’m going to do the M series control arm swap on the front..just waiting to see a good offer on Autodoc..

I think for me I’ve reached the end of the road in terms of money/time/benefit gained...

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:36 am

Pbondar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:32 am The theory says that stiffer ARBs will impute a bump steer effect more than a ‘jiggle’ in a straight line..as I threw the old ARBs away too late to do an A B swap.

I do perceive a slightly heavier steering with the Zito 935 offsets but that’s something you can adjust too..

Spring wise the msport springs in collaboration with the B8s seems a ok so loath to spend time and cash swapping them out..

Apart from cosmetic perceptions IMHO the 19” offers nothing on the road...more unsprung weight, poorer ride comfort.

For me I think the best combo is with the 17 wheels which have OE offsets but I have to await that test...

We then get into what has been a very subjective issue of the N20 engine weight and distribution compared to the 6 potters..

I’m going to do the M series control arm swap on the front..just waiting to see a good offer on Autodoc..

I think for me I’ve reached the end of the road in terms of money/time/benefit gained...
I know what you mean in terms of diminishing returns mod wise.
I think for me it will be ARBs, tyres, M3 arms and a remap. Maybe the 330mm brakes. Still quite a list for a car I said I wasn't going to mod!
God knows when I'll get the chance to do any of it given the current situation. I cant even go out to trial different tyre pressures

Its a shame none of the aftermarket wheels come in et29 or et30. Everything seems to be et35
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Well done Mack, I did find the ride quite hard on it but I had changed from the 18" 325 wheels to the 19" 326's mainly for cosmetic reasons. Both set had run-flats on so the ride difference wasn't massive. I considered changing the whole set to non-runflats, but it was a difficult choice as we weren't sure how long we were going to keep the car. However it was always something I wanted to try.

It sounds like you've invested a fait nit of time ito the car, so I'm pleased you've had positive results. :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:33 pm

MACK wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:38 am
Ouroux71 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:15 pm My Goodyear 19'' tyres are coming soon.. Part 1 of my Z4 handling improvements..

Regards

Mark
Hi,

I had seen mention of the superpro stuff somewhere but I haven't priced it up, to be honest I probably would want to go the whole hog of doing all of them. I was actually thinking of going down the E9x M3 route for the upper & lower front arms which some folks on here and other forums have done with good results. They're quite reasonably priced too.
Pbondar wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:52 pm I have the same kit almost with the Bilstein B8 fitted to the existing msport springs with Zito 935s running continental sport 5p 235/40 18 and 255/35 18

I think the ARBs are going to be my next mod on it as although the roll has been reduced with the B12 kit its still there to a certain degree so obviously the hope is an Eibach or H&R ARB kit will dial it out. My current bench mark for this is our G20 320D M Sport which really does handle quite brilliantly, especially for factory suspension, it has next to no roll.
I am wondering if the slightly jiggly ride your getting is down to the ARBs or its actually due to the factory M Sport springs your using, I dont really have this on my mine with the Eibachs, have you considered a spring swap?
Silverstar wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:35 pm Good to hear your thoughts on this kit, I wonder how it would drive with 19" and non run flats? I am planning on adding this kit at some point and I have currently 18" but was thinking about going up to 19" after adding this kit.
I had been wondering this myself, at the moment the tyres I'm using are slightly oversized at 225/45/18 255/40/18 so basically the same amount of sidewall as standard tyres on 17" wheels, so I've realistically I've got about a smooth a ride as you can hope for in an E89. The only downsides are bigger sidewalls have more flex so the turn in won't be as sharp as it could be and coupled with the Zito's having an offset of ET35 as apposed to the standard ET29 its pushed the scrub radius another 10mm negative which will be dulling the steering feel somewhat. At the moment I quite like the black wheel look on white, I think it makes the car look more sporty than the silver in an SE to M Sport sort of way. So I'm currently thinking (at least for now) of keeping the Zitos on and going to the standard 225/40 and 255/35 which should sharpen the turn in slightly as well as reduce the affect on the scrub radius to circa 5mm. Going to 19" in black isn't that noticeable over 18" with the obvious benefit of better ride quality with the smaller wheel. However if I go back to silver (and I do really like the 326s) it has to 19", the 18" just look a little too small in silver on the E89 to my eyes. Going back to the 326 would have the added benefit of putting the scrub back to the factory setting too. Quite torn on this one, better make my mind up before buying some tyres!
I have the standard profile 18" non run flats and I can confirm the ride quality is just fine.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 am

Silverstar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:33 pm
MACK wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:38 am

Regards

Mark
Hi,

I have the standard profile 18" non run flats and I can confirm the ride quality is just fine.
What tyre pressures do you run on the 18" non runflats?

thanks
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:09 am

Number5 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:27 pm Well done Mack, I did find the ride quite hard on it but I had changed from the 18" 325 wheels to the 19" 326's mainly for cosmetic reasons. Both set had run-flats on so the ride difference wasn't massive. I considered changing the whole set to non-runflats, but it was a difficult choice as we weren't sure how long we were going to keep the car. However it was always something I wanted to try.

It sounds like you've invested a fait nit of time ito the car, so I'm pleased you've had positive results. :thumbsup:
Hi Alan,

Hope your enjoying the G29.
I did say that I wouldn't really be modding this one (apart from a remap) as it was for the missus, but that didn't last too long!
I have to admit I was a little dis-interested in the E89 when we were buying it from you as I have my E85 and I didn't think I'd particularly like it. However its actually grown on me and the mods I've made have definitely improved things, I think curiosity got the better of me. Not used my E85 too much since we got it, at this rate it be that one out the door! :lol:

Mark
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:55 pm

MACK wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 am What tyre pressures do you run on the 18" non runflats?
The same as run flats 3.0 bar rear and 2.5 bar front. The tyre shop told advised me to do that.