Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to remove this piece??

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:10 am

Officious plod.
Vidi, vici, veni

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:10 pm

The lockdown is really bringing out the jobsworths in the police force.

When the civil unrest starts in the big cities they might have to climb down from barking orders at middle class people going hiking and do some real police work.

maxman

Post by maxman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:23 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:42 pm As an update, I went down to my lock up this morning, half a mile walk (my daily exercise, thanks Boris :thumbsup: ) entered the cul de sac lane, (no pedestrian access) where my lock up is located at the very end. I pulled the front half of the car out and started looking at what I would need.
I hear a throat being cleared, look up and there is a friendly bobby with his car parked at the end of the cul de sac.
"Do you mind if I ask you what you are doing sir", I explained I had walked half a mile, that I was going to work on my car for half an hour then walk home. He asked me what I was doing to the car, after i explained he said "spending time outside your home for non essential work on your vehicle is not in keeping with the spirit of the current lockdown and I would like you to return home".
So, I did.......
In my opinion he was correct .Its a lockdown for a bloody good reason.What if everybody took the view it does not apply to me..

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:27 pm

maxman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:23 pm
mcbutler wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:42 pm As an update, I went down to my lock up this morning, half a mile walk (my daily exercise, thanks Boris :thumbsup: ) entered the cul de sac lane, (no pedestrian access) where my lock up is located at the very end. I pulled the front half of the car out and started looking at what I would need.
I hear a throat being cleared, look up and there is a friendly bobby with his car parked at the end of the cul de sac.
"Do you mind if I ask you what you are doing sir", I explained I had walked half a mile, that I was going to work on my car for half an hour then walk home. He asked me what I was doing to the car, after i explained he said "spending time outside your home for non essential work on your vehicle is not in keeping with the spirit of the current lockdown and I would like you to return home".
So, I did.......
In my opinion he was correct .Its a lockdown for a bloody good reason.What if everybody took the view it does not apply to me..
I fully support this view.
However, you have to feel for the OP, who has to keep his car half a mile from his house. Hearing and seeing all the people on this forum taking advantage of the lockdown to fettle their cars on their own drives or in their own garages, whilst he cannot work on his.
Rules is rules and all that, but it cannot seem very fair to him, and we're just rubbing it in I guess.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:45 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:27 pm
maxman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:23 pm
So, I did.......
I fully support this view.
However, you have to feel for the OP, who has to keep his car half a mile from his house. Hearing and seeing all the people on this forum taking advantage of the lockdown to fettle their cars on their own drives or in their own garages, whilst he cannot work on his.
Rules is rules and all that, but it cannot seem very fair to him, and we're just rubbing it in I guess.
Thanks Enuff,
if you analyze it i was simply taking my allowed exercise (going outside) and dropping in at my lockup which is at the end of a cul de sac with no passing pedestrian or vehicle traffic before walking home.
I live alone and I work alone self employed, I have had zero human contact since 22nd March after a driving day out with another member. So, risk wise I am probably about as low as it gets.
What gets my goat is people going to the shops every day, taking the whole family i.e. introducing four spreaders if anyone's infected as opposed to only one. Walking the dog when they have a garden etc etc.
Me walking to my garage is no different to anyone taking a few steps outside to their own garage. Outside is outside.

It's easy to be a keyboard warrior but judging anyone without knowing the full picture is unacceptable.

Stay safe everyone, apparently between 2-3% of the population have the virus so dont worry too much right now :-)
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:59 pm

mcbutler wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:45 pm Stay safe everyone, apparently between 2-3% of the population have the virus so dont worry too much right now
Fully agree with what you say except I believe those numbers are way off, you just have to see what is happing like here in Spain and Italy Germany amongst other places. My cousin in the UK is a doctor working for NHS and has caught the virus, however they will not give her a test and so people like her are not included in the figures. Luckily she seems to be getting better now so hopefully will be onto a full recovery.

Here now officially there are over 80,000 infected but they reckon the real figure could be 500,000 don't forget many have the virus but have no illness but they can easily spread to someone else and that person could be badly affected by it. This virus is no joke and I think many in the UK are not taking it seriously and the penalties for disobeying the lock down are too lenient. Try to do that here and the minimum fine is 500€ and can go up to 30,000€ and if you keep causing trouble you will be jailed!
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:59 pm
mcbutler wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:45 pm Stay safe everyone, apparently between 2-3% of the population have the virus so dont worry too much right now
Fully agree with what you say except I believe those numbers are way off, you just have to see what is happing like here in Spain and Italy Germany amongst other places. My cousin in the UK is a doctor working for NHS and has caught the virus, however they will not give her a test and so people like her are not included in the figures. Luckily she seems to be getting better now so hopefully will be onto a full recovery.

Here now officially there are over 80,000 infected but they reckon the real figure could be 500,000 don't forget many have the virus but have no illness but they can easily spread to someone else and that person could be badly affected by it. This virus is no joke and I think many in the UK are not taking it seriously and the penalties for disobeying the lock down are too lenient. Try to do that here and the minimum fine is 500€ and can go up to 30,000€ and if you keep causing trouble you will be jailed!
You are absolutely correct, I see they are going to start adding the number that 'die in the community' which will raise figures. What we really need is the antibody test. If we find that a lot of people have had it asymptomatically then that will lower the death percentages. No one really knows right now.
In UK you get a £60 fine first time and then it doubles each time after that, arrest is an option. Makes more sense than thousands of pounds as most people cannot pay that anyway and putting people in prison right now is a big no no..
I see the biggest issue as being the infection rate, it is this huge rapid increase in numbers that is the problem when it comes to intensive care.
Anyway, lets just ride it out then we can go for a ride in our cars, just think of all the money we are saving in petrol :-)
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:29 pm

The problem with any situation that’s complex is the policing and interpretation in the widest context...

If you have the luxury of infinite time / infinite resource and time you get into an aviation regulatory mind set..that is..

Here’s the law

Here is simple and clear ways to demonstrate you comply

Here is a complex way to shows you comply but you need to supply detailed risk analysis/failure mode analysis/body of empirical evidence to justify your view/examples of failure modes and how you address them...

So what most people argue is ‘I have an alternative way of achieving compliance’

The issue is..

Can the average police officer have the skills /experience to assess the validity of your analysis and proposed methodology

Do you have the competence and skills to reasonably analyse your actions and your methodologies

With 200 airlines you can say that at any one time we can manage that..

With 64m people each articulating an ‘alternative means of compliance’ is it reasonable for the average pc to reach a deterministic approach?

Does he have a mandate to approve and sign that off?...er no..

Can he TASER you ? Yes..

Problem solved..

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:41 am

Pbondar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:29 pm The problem with any situation that’s complex is the policing and interpretation in the widest context...

If you have the luxury of infinite time / infinite resource and time you get into an aviation regulatory mind set..that is..

Here’s the law

Here is a complex way to shows you comply but you need to supply detailed risk analysis/failure mode analysis/body of empirical evidence to justify your view/examples of failure modes and how you address them...

So what most people argue is ‘I have an alternative way of achieving compliance’

The issue is..

Can the average police officer have the skills /experience to assess the validity of your analysis and proposed methodology

Do you have the competence and skills to reasonably analyse your actions and your methodologies

With 64m people each articulating an ‘alternative means of compliance’ is it reasonable for the average pc to reach a deterministic approach?

Can he TASER you ? Yes..

Problem solved..
I think a police officer tasering someone for fiddling with their car in a lockup would result in the officer losing his job and the civilian getting a payout.
The police can't afford to make mistakes like that, they've already been chastised by a former supreme court judge for behaving like a police state.

Being heavy handed with people walking in the peak district loses public opinion. Being heavy handed with poor people in cities ends up with mass rioting.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:03 am

R.E92 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:41 am
Pbondar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:29 pm The problem with any situation that’s complex is the policing and interpretation in the widest context...

Here’s the law

The issue is..

Can he TASER you ? Yes..

Problem solved..
I think a police officer tasering someone for fiddling with their car in a lockup would result in the officer losing his job and the civilian getting a payout.
The police can't afford to make mistakes like that, they've already been chastised by a former supreme court judge for behaving like a police state.

Being heavy handed with people walking in the peak district loses public opinion. Being heavy handed with poor people in cities ends up with mass rioting.
The Taser was a flippant end to the dissertation....

The point is that he has to use his judgement and he doesn’t have the time / authority to make complex decisions so he will use his skills to encourage people to obey the intent of the law if not the letter....

Different people have different views on enforcing/educating..the way I saw it in the case of the drone footage was that they were making the point that driving n miles to exercise the dog did not reflect the intent of the restrictions..-

The actual people were not the issue it was the point that people either don’t think, feel that the restrictions shouldn’t apply to them because of their superior knowledge / ameliorating behaviour or just think that complying with the syntax of an instruction whilst ignoring the true meaning is ‘funny’

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:59 am

There has been a clarification in the media this morning that driving somewhere to exercise is not against the law. It's absurd that anyone ever considered that people driving in their own vehicles to remote locations is wrong.

My feeling is that OP should carry on. The police have no right to stop him working in his garage provided he's not having a mass gathering there.

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:06 am

So, I did.......
Good thing I was a bit hungover so cleaned the wife's car in the afternoon it seems!
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:23 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:59 am There has been a clarification in the media this morning that driving somewhere to exercise is not against the law. It's absurd that anyone ever considered that people driving in their own vehicles to remote locations is wrong.

My feeling is that OP should carry on. The police have no right to stop him working in his garage provided he's not having a mass gathering there.
Interestingly I took the same walk this morning, just got home a moment ago.
Around halfway round I saw a parked patrol car so I asked them the same question.
The reply "no its not an issue at all if you are alone and unlikely to have contact with other members of the public"
I asked about the driving to locations, the reply "our main issue with driving either alone or as a family is the risk of accident or breakdown either of which would result in contact with several representatives of assorted agencies and may result in you ending up in hospital taking up a bed"

So there you go, that's a realistic approach I think, but then again do I have the knowledge (or a taser) :poke: :poke:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:24 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:06 am
So, I did.......
Good thing I was a bit hungover so cleaned the wife's car in the afternoon it seems!
Just walked past your Zed, shiny as hell :-)
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:35 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:24 pm Just walked past your Zed, shiny as hell :-)
Keeps people distracted so they don't see the scratches :oops:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i