Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SORN 3.0i 2009

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

SORN 3.0i 2009

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:17 am

Big Bad Boris wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:06 am Thanks guys, I have approached the dealer with various questions about the 3.0i referenced in the OP, nothing back so far.

I was asking about the 2.3i as there seems to be a lot more of them around, so the chances of finding the right colour and spec is much greater Also moving up from a past it’s best e85 2.0i either version will sound and feel better. Must admit though, owning a BMW with a straight six 3.0 is on the car bucket list.
Mine is a 23i, love the sound, plenty of fun and 99% of the time ideal. Just felt a few times that I’d have liked a wee bit more go but it depends how often you’re going to drive it like you stole it :rofl: the only thing I’ve felt is that overtaking in 3rd it’s run out of revs a few times

I know that I will be moving on to one with a more power at some point. I like the E89 because of the tin top so it’ll likely be one of them.

I’m not actively looking because as I said I love my 23i, when something comes up within budget that catches my eye I’ll consider changing then

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Big Bad Boris

SORN 3.0i 2009

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Nothing back from dealer on the car referenced in the OP, not surprising in the current climate.

Meantime can I further pick the brains of the experienced people on this forum in terms of mileage when buying a Z4. Generally lower the better is the thought, although on some cars low mileage is not good as they like to be used (a common mantra on Porsche forums).

How many miles is too many, on a 3.0i for example? I bought my E85 2.0i with decent service history with 97k on the clock, I thought it’s a BMW it will be fine with that kind of mileage.. and more. In the year 5k miles that I’ve had it, it has needed a new clutch and flywheel (£750], replacement cats (an arm and a leg even second hand) various other bits and pieces such as valves in the ABS system (£150 each) a brake calliper and a few other bits a pieces. The synchro has all but gone on 1st and 2nd gear, so it is hardly a pleasure to drive...hence I am looking to upgrade to the E89, before the current one inflicts any further damage on me.

Obviously service history and an element of luck is involved. But where is the “sweet spot” for mileage and what things come into play as different stages of the cars life as the car ages and mileage goes up?

Silverstar

SORN 3.0i 2009

Post by Silverstar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:52 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:22 pm Nothing back from dealer on the car referenced in the OP, not surprising in the current climate.

Meantime can I further pick the brains of the experienced people on this forum in terms of mileage when buying a Z4. Generally lower the better is the thought, although on some cars low mileage is not good as they like to be used (a common mantra on Porsche forums).

How many miles is too many, on a 3.0i for example? I bought my E85 2.0i with decent service history with 97k on the clock, I thought it’s a BMW it will be fine with that kind of mileage.. and more. In the year 5k miles that I’ve had it, it has needed a new clutch and flywheel (£750], replacement cats (an arm and a leg even second hand) various other bits and pieces such as valves in the ABS system (£150 each) a brake calliper and a few other bits a pieces. The synchro has all but gone on 1st and 2nd gear, so it is hardly a pleasure to drive...hence I am looking to upgrade to the E89, before the current one inflicts any further damage on me.

Obviously service history and an element of luck is involved. But where is the “sweet spot” for mileage and what things come into play as different stages of the cars life as the car ages and mileage goes up?
    I have bought many BMWs over the years 4 and 6 cylinder petrol, V12 Petrol and 4 and 6 cylinder diesels and usually the average age at time of purchase is around 5 to 8 years. What I've noticed is that all the ones I bought with low miles around 20 to 40K miles never gave much problems and the couple which I had with around 80K miles average needed some things doing to them. So from my experience I would prefer a low miles car just make sure it's in good fettle when you buy it.

Generally as the car ages and mileage creeps up things will need doing to it. My current 2009 30i that I purchased back in May last year with just under 33,000 miles apart from the current battery issue (due to non use during lockdown) has been a peach, no issue so far and I have now put about 4000 to 5000 miles on the car. I don't do many miles per year but I do use the car almost every day. Also I would say a BMW without at least 6 cylinders, to me is not a proper BMW (yes I know I am old school :D ) also between the two I would strongly recommend the 30i over the 23i, the running costs are the same yet the performance is quite different. There are plenty of 23i out there and they are cheaper but I suspect over time the 30i will retain the value better since there are less of them out there and again there is the performance difference! :thumbsup:
    2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Smartbear
    Lifer
    Lifer

SORN 3.0i 2009

Post by Smartbear » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:06 am Thanks guys, I have approached the dealer with various questions about the 3.0i referenced in the OP, nothing back so far.

I was asking about the 2.3i as there seems to be a lot more of them around, so the chances of finding the right colour and spec is much greater Also moving up from a past it’s best e85 2.0i either version will sound and feel better. Must admit though, owning a BMW with a straight six 3.0 is on the car bucket list.
    You’re right about a greater choice for the smaller engined 23i (no decimal point) the best way forward must be to drive a 23i & the 30i without a large time period between. Lots more torque with the larger engine which means it doesn’t need revving as hard to make progress :thumbsup:
    Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
    e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
    e85 3.0si sold

Big Bad Boris

SORN 3.0i 2009

Post by Big Bad Boris » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks Rob, good advice certainly, unfortunately advice I’m sadly not going to be able to take for some weeks (months) 😷. Given the inability to test drive I think I am 99% sold in the 30i.

Meantime I will keep seeking the sage advice of the forum to ensure I get the best bang for buck when the time comes. Plus I don’t mind keeping coming back at this time when I am sure many forum members are glad of the distraction!

So today I ask for thoughts in terms of gearboxes and wheels, I generally favour the manual option, however in some cases I believe the newer dual clutch autos are preferred even by driving connoisseur. What are the thoughts on the relatively traditional 6 speed auto in the early 30i? With its paddle shifters is it a viable alternative to a manual?

In terms of wheels, what are views on the split rims that appear on some cars? I was going to post a photo, but cannot fathom out how to simply insert a screenshot. Z4 (BMW generally) wheels appears prone to cracking, my current E85 has a few welds as additional evidence, How do those split rims hold up ? And what are they like to clean, with all those bolts/screws around the outside they appear they would be an absolute pain the ar5e..

Grateful for any feedback/ experience.

Kevan

Tinker15

SORN 3.0i 2009

Post by Tinker15 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:25 pm

The Z4 23i / 30i automatic came with the 6 speed ZF 6HP19 box. The 7 speed dual clutch was only available on the Z4 35i / 35is. Mine is an automatic, which is what I wanted, and I’ve no complaints at all. It might not be as slick as the 8 speed on our XF but there isn’t a great deal of difference. Changes are sharpish and if you push the stick over to the left you get sport mode which is great for driving on a twisty road. I wouldn’t change it for a manual but no doubt others would! 😏

I’ve no experience of split rims but every time I see any they seem to suffer from corrosion around the bolts but wheels are very much a personal choice. My car came with CSL replica wheels but the rears where the wrong width. In the end I changed them from 18inch to 19inch Riva DTMs as I liked the style.
    Attachments
    2C3C22D2-9591-427E-A8B5-307E737BE65B.jpeg
    2C3C22D2-9591-427E-A8B5-307E737BE65B.jpeg (337.86 KiB) Viewed 347 times
    E89 sDrive 30i
    Jaguar XF 3.0D
    TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Silverstar

SORN 3.0i 2009

Post by Silverstar » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:25 pm

I have the 6 speed auto and the split rims. I like the auto, it's a great gearbox with sports mode and 'manual' mode where you can shifts gears either with the gear stick or with the paddles. I have tried plenty of BMWs with manual boxes but somehow I just can't gel with them, I find them notchy and not that good. The auto suits the car and in particular the 6 cylinder engine well but of course the purists might disagree :wink:

In terms of the 18" split rims, I have had many positive comments on the looks of this wheel and they really aren't that difficult to clean. I just blitz them with Bilt & Hamber wheel cleaner and use a small brush to clean around the bolts and rinse them off and then just go over with my wash mitt. The negatives to this wheel as stated by Tinker is that you can get some corrosion around the bolts and many have experienced that they are expensive to refurb although I have had two of mine done for 100€ each.
    2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red