Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First week - early impressions and questios

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Ouroux71

Post by Ouroux71 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 am

Hi folks...

Locked down in France I have the time to write a bit about my recent purchase.

The vehicle is a an E89 Z4 23Sdrive. 2009. The car is a 2 owner car with 50,000 miles and FSH (last indi local dealer). Finished in metallic black with cream coloured leather. The factory options are: wind deflector, auto wipers/lights, extended light pack, storage pack, ski hatch, PDC, headlamp wash and heated seats, auto climate dual zone and BMW Professional radio. The car has non BMW 19'' alloys. Priced at the equivalent of £18K it's much more expensive than a UK sourced car - European prices are much higher and 2nd hand cars hold their value much more. I suppose it will pay divdends later when I resale it again.... perhaps....

So my experience so far:

Everything works (great news). I love the open driving (never had a open top car before so it's a new experience for me and my children). It doesn't feel too dated for an older style car. Despite most people ribbing the 2.5L engine I am quite happy with it for a simple roadster - although I do miss the modern turbo urge at low revs. The 6 cylinder engine is lovely. The interior is close to new condition and the engine/mechanics all seem in VGC.....

Economy - well not modern day economy (10L/100km, 28mpg imperial) but since it will only do a few thousand km/year I don't care about that. I have a insurance policy full coverage with a Bluetooth box that registers jouneys - £20 month and 0.01€/minute for driving - so that's cheap enough.

Now on to the bad: The car crashes badly on potholes and bad road surfaces - yes the 19inch wheels won't help that (they have Hankook EVO 1 tyres that I don't care for and they are showing their age with mild cracking even though there is plenty tread on them). I had the car up on ramps yesterday. The rear on ramps via the rear central lift point (I couldn't get my low profile trolley jack under the front centre one). The suspension is stock as it is marked BMW.
The handling on B roads is not great and does not insprire condidence even if it rides flat.
I have ordered another battery as my battery tester shows it down to 30% CCA compared to new.

Planned improvements:

Interior
Infotainment will be fitted - Android nav, bluetooth (with improved radio headset) etc.
USB socket for phone charging
Upgrade side speakers
replace tired steering wheel
Improve exterior lighting for indicators/headlamps/rear lights
Improve interior bulbs
2013 revised style side indicators
Change badges on wheels and bodywork
Buy English handbook (I have the PDF but only a German handbook)
Replace gearbox oil and diff oil (other oils/coolants/brake fluid checked ok)
And replace those famous salmon roof relays :o

Exterior:
Paint in good shape but I've purchased a D/A polisher to correct the painwork

Mechanics:
It's all about the suspension/handling and here I would welcome thoughts advice: Note I don't do any track days or racing

Firstly who knows about this, https://www.superproeurope.com/news.rea ... rticleid=4 and their assorted https://www.superproeurope.com/products ... cleid=1430
It would seem these polymer bushings are interesting?

Next up: sway bars, anti-rolls etc - this is a minefield for me. Layman's guide welcome :? :? :?

Next: Coils and shocks - any thoughts?

Brakes - Is it worth paying a bit extra for drilled higher quality discs when they need replacing? I do brake work myself.....

Finally what's worth getting done at the same time as this work? The exhaust is good but the rear suspension cradle has light surface rust. I'll be coming to the UK sometime after the human malware has passed - anyone have a recommened indi garage for this sort of suspension work.

Regards

Mark
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-20 at 19.12.27.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-20 at 19.12.27.jpeg (557.87 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
Last edited by Ouroux71 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
2.3SDrive 2009 6spd, 47K: Sapphire black.PDC, Ski Hatch, Ext- Lighting, headlamp wash, storage pack, Canberra Beige leather, rain sensor/auto lights, auto rear mirror, seat heating, wind deflector, 19'' wheels. B16 suspension, cruise, BT, rear camera

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:05 am

Ouroux71 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 am Now on to the bad: The car crashes badly on potholes and bad road surfaces - yes the 19inch wheels won't help that (they have Hankook EVO 1 tyres that I don't care for and they are showing their age with mild cracking even though there is plenty tread on them).
The handling on B roads is not great and does not insprire condidence even if it rides flat.
welcome on board

I got 19" wheels too, consider viewtopic.php?f=23&t=120791
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Ouroux71

Post by Ouroux71 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:12 am

tintoverano wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:05 am
Ouroux71 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 am Now on to the bad: The car crashes badly on potholes and bad road surfaces - yes the 19inch wheels won't help that (they have Hankook EVO 1 tyres that I don't care for and they are showing their age with mild cracking even though there is plenty tread on them).
welcome on board

I got 19" wheels too, consider viewtopic.php?f=23&t=120791
Thanks, I saw that post. I'm going to look at tackling all the issues as a job lot. I feel that this item alone is not going to be enough....
2.3SDrive 2009 6spd, 47K: Sapphire black.PDC, Ski Hatch, Ext- Lighting, headlamp wash, storage pack, Canberra Beige leather, rain sensor/auto lights, auto rear mirror, seat heating, wind deflector, 19'' wheels. B16 suspension, cruise, BT, rear camera

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 am

:(
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat May 23, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:40 am

I second Robbi, non-RFT is a must

my 19" wheels are non-RFTs and still felt uncomfortable as Mark
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:18 am

Under normal circumstances we live in France for 6 months of the year near Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne. We would have been going out on the 24th April but obviously this is not going to happen. The Z4 normally comes over for the summer months and what a joy it is on the quiet roads where we live. The car has stock suspension and 19inch wheels and we don’t experience the problems you are having. It will never have a soft ride but for a sports car it is pretty good.

As others have pointed out RFTs are the killer particularly if, as you say, they are getting old and hard. Before spending loads of cash on suspension modifications change the tyres. It will make a difference! 🙂

Photo of our car on Mont Ventoux last year. Now I can only dream!
Attachments
5E1CBE6C-339A-451A-AEC6-C2CF43B6CE96.jpeg
5E1CBE6C-339A-451A-AEC6-C2CF43B6CE96.jpeg (138.97 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:20 am

Before you do anything else address the tyre issue.as said above :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Ouroux71

Post by Ouroux71 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks folks..... Just to be clear the tyres are not run-flat - they are Hankook Evo so they won't be run flat I imagine or could they be run-flat? How can you tell are they marked run flat?

If they are run-flat they will be getting changed and the ones I have now will be getting changed in any case whether run-flat or not. Such a lot to do for the car - nothing essential but the car will be a much better animal when finished.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:50 am

Old tyres or new, your 19" wheels just can't put enough rubber between you and French B roads (or the echoing potholes of English A roads).

So, don't waste money on new 19" tyres. Buy some 18" wheels with tyres and discover how good the E89 can be.
Last edited by Busterboo on Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vidi, vici, veni

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:58 am

:(
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat May 23, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Ouroux71

Post by Ouroux71 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:18 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:58 am
Ouroux71 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:32 am Thanks folks..... Just to be clear the tyres are not run-flat - they are Hankook Evo so they won't be run flat I imagine or could they be run-flat? How can you tell are they marked run flat?
Can be RFT as well. To be checked on the tyres ("runflat" or "RF") or on the last invoice.

No need to go back to 18", as the 19" on my car are from stock.
Just a RFT example:
https://www.autoreifenfinder.de/hankook ... 1y-129890/
Thanks Robbi, I'll check the tyres

Rassi

Post by Rassi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm

Your wheels are actually genuine BMW, Style 276. I have the same and quite like them! If the Hankook tyres are RFT, change them. I went from RFT Bridgestone Potenza to Michelin PS4S and big difference in ride and general smoothness.
‘21 BMW X5 M50i
Gone:
BMW: Z3 M Coupe, E39 M5, E60 M5, E92 M3, Z4 Coupe, F10 M5, X5 M50D, F31 335D, Z4 35iS,
G31 540i, X3M, F90 M5, X3M, X5 40d
MB: C43 AMG
Audi: A6 BiTDI Avant
Alfa Romeo: 164 V6 24V, Giulia Quadrifoglio

Ouroux71

Post by Ouroux71 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Rassi wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm Your wheels are actually genuine BMW, Style 276. I have the same and quite like them! If the Hankook tyres are RFT, change them. I went from RFT Bridgestone Potenza to Michelin PS4S and big difference in ride and general smoothness.
Hello Rassi.... How's Belgium tonight?
I checked the tyres - I couldn't see runflat or any mention of that on the tyres. I did notice they were produced week 44 2013 so almost 7 years old - they show light cracking. I don't have much to say for Hankook and will try to find something better when I changed them. I will perhaps try the Michelin PS4S you refer to - they cost more but my Z4 is a 2nd car so tyre use will be minimum.
Did you do any suspension mods?
Thanks, Mark

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm

Ouroux71 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:41 pm
Rassi wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm Your wheels are actually genuine BMW, Style 276. I have the same and quite like them! If the Hankook tyres are RFT, change them. I went from RFT Bridgestone Potenza to Michelin PS4S and big difference in ride and general smoothness.
I checked the tyres - I couldn't see runflat or any mention of that on the tyres. I did notice they were produced week 44 2013 so almost 7 years old - they show light cracking. I don't have much to say for Hankook and will try to find something better when I changed them. I will perhaps try the Michelin PS4S you refer to - they cost more but my Z4 is a 2nd car so tyre use will be minimum.
Thanks, Mark
Hi,

With Hankook you'll usually find the letters HRS written on them if they're runflats. If comfort is your main aim Id recommend Goodyear F1 over PS4
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:17 pm

MACK wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm
Ouroux71 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:41 pm
Thanks, Mark
Hi,

With Hankook you'll usually find the letters HRS written on them if they're runflats. If comfort is your main aim Id recommend Goodyear F1 over PS4
I have to say I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 3s and the ride comfort is just fine. I have 18" though so not sure how much difference they will be with 19" although I do remember someone here (Mr Wilks I think) recommending to go for 35 profile rear tyres on 19" to improve the ride comfort. Whatever you do make sure they are not run flats, I think that is the common theme here. :D
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red