Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

front strut brace - an alternative take

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:01 pm

when I got the car more than a year ago, I looked at potential mods and saw the strut brace one too, for sure :) - I didn't felt that I needed one, not going on the track etc.

this changed since then, as many times, when driving on bumpy roads, layered with smaller/bigger potholes all over the place, I felt myself in danger - tyres start to make jumps, car going into limbo, not good at all, even at lower speeds

too many roads are in bad shape around here, and I started to hate this daily feeling

learning earlier how the strut brace does its job, I figured it might help with these roads, not only with cornering and potentially I could feel safer ...perhaps it could also save suspensions a bit (distributing forces from one strut to the other, decreasing the impact the tyre hitting the bump, bla bla)

then I saw early this month a good promotion on the Ultra Racing front brace https://ultraracingeurope.com/bmw-z4-e8 ... pe_english, decided to give it a try

arrived this week, put it on today and went back to these bad roads to test this thing

the experience went way over my expectations: I felt safe and had to speed up (a lot) to feel it even more

it did help with cornering as well as advertised (but not believed so much :rofl:)

I enjoyed the car so much again, good stuff
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:25 pm

I often wondered about these, if they actually were of any benefit so it's good to hear about your experience with it. Was it easy to fit and does it fit well?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:32 pm

I think you have to be careful not to make the car to ridged. Someone told me how the Ford Sierra was made rigid and they shook themselves to bits. So they made the body more flexible by leaving some strengthening out, allowing the body to flex.

RichieP

Post by RichieP » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:13 pm

My Strong Strut brace arrived from Arizona on Friday, I’m fitting tomorrow morning then taking the M for a spin, I’m looking forward to feeling a different drive that everyone talks about. :driving:
2008 Z4MC SG/Imola / Hel brake lines / Pagid RS29 / Strong Strut / VT mounts / Carbon trim / stubby.

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:25 pm I often wondered about these, if they actually were of any benefit so it's good to hear about your experience with it. Was it easy to fit and does it fit well?
5-minute job, fit perfectly

need to replace the self-locking nuts, buy them upfront and torque them (34Nm)
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:32 pm I think you have to be careful not to make the car to ridged. Someone told me how the Ford Sierra was made rigid and they shook themselves to bits. So they made the body more flexible by leaving some strengthening out, allowing the body to flex.
it still flexes, same rattles and noises, perhaps less often :D
mSport 23i

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:45 pm

RichieP wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:13 pm My Strong Strut brace arrived from Arizona on Friday, I’m fitting tomorrow morning then taking the M for a spin, I’m looking forward to feeling a different drive that everyone talks about. :driving:
let us know :driving:
mSport 23i

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 pm

A forum search suggests that a front strut brace is like a K&N Filter. One adds weight, the other noise, but both to no benefit.
Vidi, vici, veni

RichieP

Post by RichieP » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:30 pm

tintoverano wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:45 pm
RichieP wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:13 pm My Strong Strut brace arrived from Arizona on Friday, I’m fitting tomorrow morning then taking the M for a spin, I’m looking forward to feeling a different drive that everyone talks about. :driving:
let us know :driving:
Fitted the brace morning 10 minutes job with the right tools, I’ve taken the MC out for a spin and the front no longer lifts on hard acceleration, front end dip has disappeared, it has sharpened up the steering, all in all I’m happy
2008 Z4MC SG/Imola / Hel brake lines / Pagid RS29 / Strong Strut / VT mounts / Carbon trim / stubby.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:28 pm

tintoverano wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 pm
Silverstar wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:25 pm I often wondered about these, if they actually were of any benefit so it's good to hear about your experience with it. Was it easy to fit and does it fit well?

Excuse my ignorance but what are these self locking nuts? are you referring to the three nuts on top of each strut tower?

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:31 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 pm A forum search suggests that a front strut brace is like a K&N Filter. One adds weight, the other noise, but both to no benefit.
Now I am confused there are members here saying they have seen a benefit of having the strut brace and you say others have seen no benefit. Who is right then? I guess the only way to find out is to fit one and see for yourself, I wonder if the vendor will accept a return in case you find there is no difference.

RichieP

Post by RichieP » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:31 pm
Busterboo wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 pm A forum search suggests that a front strut brace is like a K&N Filter. One adds weight, the other noise, but both to no benefit.
Now I am confused there are members here saying they have seen a benefit of having the strut brace and you say others have seen no benefit. Who is right then? I guess the only way to find out is to fit one and see for yourself, I wonder if the vendor will accept a return in case you find there is no difference.
Just a note to the above, my Z4MC was like riding a wild horse the first day I drove the car, the brace had enabled me to control it a little bit more. Still loads more to do, in time.

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:51 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:28 pm
tintoverano wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Excuse my ignorance but what are these self locking nuts? are you referring to the three nuts on top of each strut tower?
item #2 https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=31_0695
mSport 23i

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Well i went back to a Bosch paper filter and car felt flat, so went back to the K&N filter, all back to previous now.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:50 am

Am I correct in saying that the N20 engined E89s are the only ones with a set of front strut braces in the engine bay and the 6 pot motors do not?