Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air filters

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Air filters

Post by flybobbie » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:32 am

I have had fitted this last two years or so a K&N filter on my car.
I thought it made a difference.

Recently thought i would go back and try a paper filter (Bosch).

Only drove home last night and did some shopping, the car seems a bit flat now. :(
I think i will refit the K&N. I just wash it in petrol then use a petrol oil mixture to reoil.
Too much much oil clogs the filter up and it needs rewashing every six months. And i clean the air mass sensor.

The problem could be the paper filter has to many folds and is quite deep. Thus offering a lot more air restriction than the K&N.
More surface area, which ok if it was a flat sheet, but folded, it's offering a huge restriction to flow.
The k&N is shallower, by at least half and has probably one third the number of folds.

baconJazz

Air filters

Post by baconJazz » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:12 am

flybobbie wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:32 am I have had fitted this last two years or so a K&N filter on my car.

Only drove home last night and did some shopping, the car seems a bit flat now. :(
I think i will refit the K&N. I just wash it in petrol then use a petrol oil mixture to reoil.
Too much much oil clogs the filter up and it needs rewashing every six months.

The problem could be the paper filter has to many folds and is quite deep. Thus offering a lot more air restriction than the K&N.
More surface area, which ok if it was a flat sheet, but folded, it's offering a huge restriction to flow.
The k&N is shallower, by at least half and has probably one third the number of folds.
flybobbie wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:32 am I have had fitted this last two years or so a K&N filter on my car.

Too much much oil clogs the filter up and it needs rewashing every six months.

I just removed my K&N panel filter from my e86. (Actually on Ebay with cleaner kit at the moment) . I replaced it with a Mann (paper) air filter Which not only sounds better but the engine is definitely breathing better too. The reason for this is because I took the MAF out to have a look and found it was a bit discoloured and dirty and so I cleaned it. I Know if the K&N is not cleaned properly or it is over oiled when cleaned this can cause problems with the MAF and I didn't want to take the chance that I'd mess it up. I did quite a bit of research into the paper filters and decided to go for the "Mann" because of the reviews . They are more expensive than most but as I said it seems to be performing very well . Many M3 and M5 drivers use this filter so that's good enough for me.
2007 3.0si sport e86 coupe Black Sapphire 93k and rising at approx 2k a year.

Mazda mx5 mk3
Fiesta ST
Subaru WRX Blob eye
Mini Cooper S JCW
Mx5 mk1
Ford Puma.
Opel Manta GTE (1984)
Mk 1 Ford Capri 1.6 GT (1973)
Austin Maxi 1750 HL (269 BC)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Air filters

Post by flybobbie » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:24 am

Performance of paper filters might vary a lot, think i would go for one with a minimum number of folds.

Silverstar

Air filters

Post by Silverstar » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:23 pm

This video might be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS69owXpGdY
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Air filters

Post by flybobbie » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:48 pm

Yes, i have seen that video, but the paper filters he uses are very open weaved filters, i will post my Bosch filter.
I would suggest the paper filter has a large surface area, but the pleats are tight restricting flow.
Attachments
filter.jpg
filter.jpg (151.22 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Last edited by flybobbie on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Air filters

Post by flybobbie » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:53 pm

These are the filters used in the video test;
Attachments
filter 2.jpg
filter 2.jpg (114.76 KiB) Viewed 673 times

Pbondar

Air filters

Post by Pbondar » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 pm

Following on from the yoof tube I see a Corrado test by 5th gear with various changes

Redex then oil n filter changes then plugs and leads..

Biggest changes were a redex clean and new plugs n leads...about 11 bhp total up in 180bhp

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Air filters

Post by flybobbie » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:29 pm

Well put the K&N back in and all spunky now :)