Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery registration with Foxwell NT520 Pro

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
zebbidy

Post by zebbidy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:33 pm

I am unable to register my new AGM battery with my 2009 BMW Z4 3.0 sDrive using my Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner. The following error messages appear on the scanner:

-No communication with IBS or engine electronics
-DME/DDE program status cannot save battery change
-Terminal 15 was not switched on
-Engine running

Same reasons above if engine is running or not. I have no idea what Terminal 15 refers to. Looking at the various online forums this is not an isolated issue and affects other models of BMW when attempting a registration with the 520 Pro.

As you know, the E89 Z4 is started by inserting the keyless fob into the slot on the dashboard, pressing on the brake pedal, and pressing the starter button. I am not sure if it has an "ignition on, engine off" mode that the scanner initially asks for. Should I keep my foot on the brake pedal whilst attempting registration, for example?

As an aside, the Foxwell technical website won't allow me to check for available updates, despite the scanner being registered.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Did mine with Carly today just fine - anyway Carly owners near to you? (appreciate that doesn't solve your Foxwell issue)
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:21 pm

zebbidy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:33 pm I am unable to register my new AGM battery with my 2009 BMW Z4 3.0 sDrive using my Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner. The following error messages appear on the scanner:

-Engine running

Same reasons above if engine is running or not. I have no idea what Terminal 15 refers to. Looking at the various online forums this is not an isolated issue and affects other models of BMW when attempting a registration with the 520 Pro.

As you know, the E89 Z4 is started by inserting the keyless fob into the slot on the dashboard, pressing on the brake pedal, and pressing the starter button. I am not sure if it has an "ignition on, engine off" mode that the scanner initially asks for. Should I keep my foot on the brake pedal whilst attempting registration, for example?

As an aside, the Foxwell technical website won't allow me to check for available updates, despite the scanner being registered.

Terminal 15 references the ignition status of the vehicle which would make sense given the rest of your post.

You need to insert the key into the slot and press the start button once without depressing either the clutch or brake pedals (you should see the dash light up and the fuel level will show a reading). At this point the ignition is on the the engine is not running, you should then be able to do the battery reset.

zebbidy

Post by zebbidy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Thanks to your post I was able to successfully register the new battery correctly. I'm eternally grateful for your help, it has been bugging me for a while. Thanks!! :D

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:17 pm

R.E92 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:21 pm
zebbidy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:33 pm I am unable to register my new AGM battery with my 2009 BMW Z4 3.0 sDrive using my Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner. The following error messages appear on the scanner:

-Engine running

Terminal 15 references the ignition status of the vehicle which would make sense given the rest of your post.

You need to insert the key into the slot and press the start button once without depressing either the clutch or brake pedals (you should see the dash light up and the fuel level will show a reading). At this point the ignition is on the the engine is not running, you should then be able to do the battery reset.
Did not know that, thank you. :thumbsup:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi just wondered if I could jump into this thread please.
As I require a new battery in my 2011 3.0l e89 it does'nt have a stop start function but I would like to fit an AGM replacement been looking for a scanner to register with but if lve understood the details correctly both the Foxwell N520 & the Ancel BM700 only register batteries that are identical to those being replaced. My original is a standard battery .Checked out the lap top software/cable packages on eBay but these look rather complicated to use .
Would appreciate any advice thanks.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:21 pm

Beano wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:25 pm Hi just wondered if I could jump into this thread please.
As I require a new battery in my 2011 3.0l e89 it does'nt have a stop start function but I would like to fit an AGM replacement been looking for a scanner to register with but if lve understood the details correctly both the Foxwell N520 & the Ancel BM700 only register batteries that are identical to those being replaced. My original is a standard battery .Checked out the lap top software/cable packages on eBay but these look rather complicated to use .
Would appreciate any advice thanks.
My autophix 5900 lets you fit different capacity batteries and register them :thumbsup: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTOPHIX-Multi ... NrPXRydWU=
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:30 pm

As will Carly - worth seeing if any Carly owning members are local to you? Usual lockdown caveats etc.
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Thanks guys for your help :D