Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Active Sound Design (ASD) as fiited to E89s 18i 20i 28i

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:56 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:19 pm I remember seeing this concept on Tomorrow’s World years and years ago. They showed it making a normal car sound like a sports car from inside, linked to throttle etc.

They also said CD’s were indestructible....

(for the millennials, CD’s were how people played music in the days before t’internet)
I remember seeing that episode to Tomorrows World - Didn't they do something like stand on a CD on a wet road?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Don't know, but weren't they un-scrachable?

Things were made much stronger in those days!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 pm

They put jam on the CD.

What ever happened to active noise reduction, feeding opposite sound waves to cancel out noise.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 pm

You know that you’re getting old when what was cutting edge tech stuff is being phased out and is classed as old hat!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:40 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:39 pm You know that you’re getting old when what was cutting edge tech stuff is being phased out and is classed as old hat!
CD-ROM is great technology, my music is always bought on CD then transferred to other formats..CD is a pure copy and perfect, most streaming formats are lossy and intrinsically inferior as a result.

If you keep them in their CD covers they last forever, its just if they are left around they get scratched, ironically its the fine scratches that does them in, single big deep physical scratch they can recover from due to inbulit error checks..

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:43 pm

flybobbie wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 pm They put jam on the CD.

What ever happened to active noise reduction, feeding opposite sound waves to cancel out noise.
Active noise reduction is still used a lot, headphones obviously, King Airs used it for the cabin..the problem is with better physical design and envronmental factors they have squeexed most of the noise out of cars..plus 4 pot cars and diesels are never going to sound as good a sixes and eights..hence ASD..

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:56 pm

Just to resurrect this thread. Has anyone fitted a bypass harness without doing an aftermarket head unit/speaker/amp upgrade? I'm just wondering if it makes a noticable difference with the standard BMW kit. Mines got the Professional DSP setup (or whatever its called) which I think its compatible with. Is the lead from the US linked earlier in the thread still the best option?

Thanks
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:12 am

I'm not sure anyone has but..you can now get an Audison ASD bypass harness in the UK for around £15 saving time n money over the Technic PNP version. The two harnesses are functionally identical.

BMW purportedly has spent over 180m Euros over a 10 year period working both internally and with several universities on accoustic deisgn in cars.

So the ASD is quite a clever box in how it works, in the same way as lossy encoding, accoustic cancellation and perceptions of humans about the 'quality' of sound varies depending on the enviroment they are in..

I don't know whether the top end 677 audio unit amp's DSP has been tailored tos upport the ASD, but the ASD itself has its own DSP and maps for generating engine related sounds.

I would imagine that the 677 amp frequency response / audio response curve is tailored to suit so you are not as likely to see a marked effect compared to say fitting better speakers / DSP /amps with what in isolation would be the most appropriate response curve with ASD.

Most DSP/AMPs for cars have a marked bass uplift to suit the specific nature of a car cabin..ie when the controls are 'flat' there is a still a maked gradient, fairly linear when viewed on a log scale with bass boost and treble cut..

The ASD is very bassy so any system that plays to improved bass response either through better speakers or audio /accoustic profile will over emphasise the ASD sounds..

Mine was very very noticeable after my mega admp/dsp/speaker upgrade..

All IMHO..

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:12 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:12 am I'm not sure anyone has but..you can now get an Audison ASD bypass harness in the UK for around £15 saving time n money over the Technic PNP version. The two harnesses are functionally identical.

BMW purportedly has spent over 180m Euros over a 10 year period working both internally and with several universities on accoustic deisgn in cars.

So the ASD is quite a clever box in how it works, in the same way as lossy encoding, accoustic cancellation and perceptions of humans about the 'quality' of sound varies depending on the enviroment they are in..

I don't know whether the top end 677 audio unit amp's DSP has been tailored tos upport the ASD, but the ASD itself has its own DSP and maps for generating engine related sounds.

I would imagine that the 677 amp frequency response / audio response curve is tailored to suit so you are not as likely to see a marked effect compared to say fitting better speakers / DSP /amps with what in isolation would be the most appropriate response curve with ASD.

Most DSP/AMPs for cars have a marked bass uplift to suit the specific nature of a car cabin..ie when the controls are 'flat' there is a still a maked gradient, fairly linear when viewed on a log scale with bass boost and treble cut..

The ASD is very bassy so any system that plays to improved bass response either through better speakers or audio /accoustic profile will over emphasise the ASD sounds..

Mine was very very noticeable after my mega admp/dsp/speaker upgrade..

All IMHO..
Thanks for the heads up, you clearly know your stuff on this sort of thing. I may for the sake of £15 buy the lead you mentioned and give it a try "just to see!" But then again if the likelihood is it's not going to make that much difference I might not bother. First world problems! :rofl:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:31 pm

Link is here for the lowest cost I’ve seen in the UK for this.. https://studioincar.co.uk/products/audi ... mw-harness

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:51 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:31 pm Link is here for the lowest cost I’ve seen in the UK for this.. https://studioincar.co.uk/products/audi ... mw-harness
At that price it might just prove too tempting :)
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport