Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Spacesaver wheel

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Spacesaver wheel

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm

In my opinion space savers are a flawed logic solution to a potential problem - There has to be a space to put the full sized punctured wheel? No doubt wet and covered in muck - So why not carry a full sized wheel?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Spacesaver wheel

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:38 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm In my opinion space savers are a flawed logic solution to a potential problem - There has to be a space to put the full sized punctured wheel? No doubt wet and covered in muck - So why not carry a full sized wheel?
Because it’s less inconvenient to carry around a smaller wheel for long periods of time than it is a bulky, full sized one? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Spacesaver wheel

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:51 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:38 pm
ronk wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm In my opinion space savers are a flawed logic solution to a potential problem - There has to be a space to put the full sized punctured wheel? No doubt wet and covered in muck - So why not carry a full sized wheel?
Because it’s less inconvenient to carry around a smaller wheel for long periods of time than it is a bulky, full sized one? :?
Rob
I understand that part as most of the time the boot space is empty - hence, plenty of room for a full size spare.
Going on holiday the boot space is limited - No space for a full sized spare only a space saver - What happens after a flat?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Spacesaver wheel

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:51 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:38 pm
Rob
I understand that part as most of the time the boot space is empty - hence, plenty of room for a full size spare.
Going on holiday the boot space is limited - No space for a full sized spare only a space saver - What happens after a flat?
Rats tails! :P
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Pbondar

Spacesaver wheel

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 pm

On an E89 the space saver doesn’t really work if you are touring..unless you regulate yourself to driving with the top up with your baggage and space saver en route, then , when getting to your stop, getting your luggage out, then ,cruising locally with your top down and space saver in the boot...depends on your level of paranoia..the reality isrun flats are destroyed within 50 miles and are a mandatory replace as soon as they go flat ..so there is no easy solution..even my xc70 doesn’t have a wheel well that can take a full sized wheel :headbang:

A local colleague ex special ops police says they used rat tails / plugs as fixed often for 100s of miles at very naughty speeds :driving:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Spacesaver wheel

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:56 pm

My local tyre fitter uses rat tails for lorries and tractors.
His advice was to tie a knot in them before you push them through, as they stay in more secure.
And said don't use the gunk stuff, it makes a right mess of the inside of the wheels and tyres.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Spacesaver wheel

Post by ronk » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am

I’ve got some rats tails in a cubby hole in the boot along with a compressor - I’d be interested in the knot procedure tho?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Spacesaver wheel

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:24 am

ronk wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:57 am I’ve got some rats tails in a cubby hole in the boot along with a compressor - I’d be interested in the knot procedure tho?
I’ve used them several times without knots, never had an issue with them :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

step_change

Spacesaver wheel

Post by step_change » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:33 am

Will an 18" space saver fit over the front brakes?
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav