Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

replacing the tyres on my Z4 e89 2012

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:07 pm

You're choosing the four small patches of 'rubber' that keep you on this side of the afterlife so buy the best - Michelin Pilot sport 4 or Pilot sport 4S.
They have the best reviews and are fitted as OEM by many hi performance manufacturers.
Buying the best does not make you a 'snob' it just means that your life, the lives of those you take in the car and those around you are precious, you will find people running cheaper tyres but spending more on a set of downpipes than a set of these will cost you.
What are your priorities?
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:04 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:07 pm You're choosing the four small patches of 'rubber' that keep you on this side of the afterlife so buy the best - Michelin Pilot sport 4 or Pilot sport 4S.
They have the best reviews and are fitted as OEM by many hi performance manufacturers.
Buying the best does not make you a 'snob' it just means that your life, the lives of those you take in the car and those around you are precious, you will find people running cheaper tyres but spending more on a set of downpipes than a set of these will cost you.
Completely agree. Always surprises me when I see people recommend tyres like Uniroyal rainsports just to save a few quid.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:14 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:04 pm
mcbutler wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:07 pm You're choosing the four small patches of 'rubber' that keep you on this side of the afterlife so buy the best - Michelin Pilot sport 4 or Pilot sport 4S.
Completely agree. Always surprises me when I see people recommend tyres like Uniroyal rainsports just to save a few quid.
I always like it when people don't let facts get in the way of their prejudices.. :fuelfire:

This website which aggregated 23 independent seperate tests for 2019 for summer tyres gave the following ranking
https://tiresvote.com/articles/best-sum ... t-results/

Continental PremiumContact 6 "Beyond any doubt: the best tire 2019"
Continental ContiPremiumContact 5
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 was placed 3rd

Evo https://www.evo.co.uk/features/18309/be ... -tyre-test on a 2.0 Golf
Pirelli P Zero
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Continental Premium Contact 6

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2 ... e-Test.htm on a BMW M2
Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
Continental Sport Contact 6

https://www.thetirelab.com/summer/ an aggregate
Continental SportContact 6
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Continental PremiumContact 6

https://tiresvote.com/articles/auto-bil ... tire-test/ Autobild 225/40 R 17
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Goodyear Eagle F1
Falken Azenis

So to say that the Michelin SP is the 'best' is at least one dimensional and not accurate. It is a very good tyre but to say its the best is simplistic..IMHO!!

If you read in further detail and seperate absolute performance from 'usability' quite often for Johnny Average ( where most of us exist), tyres that give greater feedback score better as they don't bite the driver when they start to let go...hurtling arounnd a track repetively is great for dissecting tyre performance but is not as much help as when a bend tightens up and you want to know how close or not you are to the edge..

In the final (for me) analysis, most drivers would be well within their limits with any of the (on average top 5 or 6 placements) under any circumstances they would encounter or if they were pressed could cope with.

Most people have a misguided view of their own skill / competence level..I had a brutal re-orientation when I climbed into a fast/fragile/aerobatic aircraft after plodding around in more pedestrian devices..couldn't wait to get back to those and never flew in an aerobatic aircraft again..others could lap it up..serveral have died trying to lap it up!

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:14 pm
R.E92 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:04 pm
I always like it when people don't let facts get in the way of their prejudices.. :fuelfire:

This website which aggregated 23 independent seperate tests for 2019 for summer tyres gave the following ranking
https://tiresvote.com/articles/best-sum ... t-results/

Continental PremiumContact 6 "Beyond any doubt: the best tire 2019"
Continental ContiPremiumContact 5
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 was placed 3rd

Evo https://www.evo.co.uk/features/18309/be ... -tyre-test on a 2.0 Golf
Pirelli P Zero
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Continental Premium Contact 6

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2 ... e-Test.htm on a BMW M2
Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
Continental Sport Contact 6

https://www.thetirelab.com/summer/ an aggregate
Continental SportContact 6
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Continental PremiumContact 6

https://tiresvote.com/articles/auto-bil ... tire-test/ Autobild 225/40 R 17
Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Goodyear Eagle F1
Falken Azenis

So to say that the Michelin SP is the 'best' is at least one dimensional and not accurate. It is a very good tyre but to say its the best is simplistic..IMHO!!

If you read in further detail and seperate absolute performance from 'usability' quite often for Johnny Average ( where most of us exist), tyres that give greater feedback score better as they don't bite the driver when they start to let go...hurtling arounnd a track repetively is great for dissecting tyre performance but is not as much help as when a bend tightens up and you want to know how close or not you are to the edge..

In the final (for me) analysis, most drivers would be well within their limits with any of the (on average top 5 or 6 placements) under any circumstances they would encounter or if they were pressed could cope with.

Most people have a misguided view of their own skill / competence level..I had a brutal re-orientation when I climbed into a fast/fragile/aerobatic aircraft after plodding around in more pedestrian devices..couldn't wait to get back to those and never flew in an aerobatic aircraft again..others could lap it up..serveral have died trying to lap it up!
While I appreciate the effort you put into that reply, you completely missed the point. I was pointing out that there's a lot of people here who recommend the likes of the Uniroyal Rainsport tyres. You posted a load of links to tests that all say that premium tyres work best, which reinforces my point. I didn't claim that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is better than the Continental.

Looking at the information you found I'm going to discount that first link to "tiresvote" because it looks like absolute garbage. It bases a lot of the weighting on spurious Autobild tyre reviews. The only Autobild tyre test that matters for 2019 was the summer tyre test and Michelin won this test with the MP4S. (https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2 ... e-Test.htm).

The link to the TyreReviews UHP summer test is great, AutoBild and TyreReviews are really the only two worthwhile sources of information about tyres. The Eagle F1 came out on top there because of the subjective handling scores. Again, the Eagle F1 is a premium expensive tyre comparable to the MPS4S. The MPS4S came a close second and did win the wet and dry braking category.

The rest of the links compare the MPS4, which is the less capable and cheaper version of the MPS4S.

Plenty of people use the old "I don't drive fast so I don't need good tyres" or "I don't drive to the vehicle limits" excuse. That's complete crap. Even when driving like a pensioner you may need a little extra grip on a misjudged corner or for an emergency stop.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:41 pm

I’ve lost the will to live on this one..my point was relative to mcbutler who implied that only the Michelin tyre was ‘acceptable’ to a possible newbie who I assume was asking for some balanced advice..it’s fine to have an opinion what I don’t like is when someone presents a supposition or opinion as a definitive fact...I think people should be clear when it’s an opinion vs a fact..

I’ve spent a lifetime always buying the best afaik when it comes to safety related matters..upsetting my wife/shareholders/banks in my pursuit of a focus on safety...with no compromise..people who know me will know I always have a back up to my back up..

Some people have a view that only the best in their perception is the minimum acceptable .. others are driven by cost, others try to balance the two..

As usual people usually believe their purchasing decisions are the best and insist others should follow..

I think some of us are trying to address that confirmation bias by highlighting the fact that many people do have options depending on their priorities..

The criteria I always use is the following scenario

I’m in a coroners court facing the family of the bereaved who have died in an accident that you had some involvement..

When the coroner asks you ‘is there anything that you could have done to avoid this death?’

I need to have a clear conscience..

So to come back to your point..

I’d struggle to say that by someone using a mid tier tyre they put their life and others in jeopardy...

If they said that they ran their tyres down to legal limit then lost it in the rain I’d say that was avoidable..

Little dissertation over..

Your opinion and others vary, I respect that, but it’s just an opinion it’s not a fact..

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 am

Pbondar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:41 pm I’ve lost the will to live on this one..my point was relative to mcbutler who implied that only the Michelin tyre was ‘acceptable’ to a possible newbie who I assume was asking for some balanced advice..it’s fine to have an opinion what I don’t like is when someone presents a supposition or opinion as a definitive fact...I think people should be clear when it’s an opinion vs a fact..
If your post was aimed at mcbutler then quote him, not me. You're going fully off-piste on this!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:07 am

If safety concerns were a priority perhaps the E89 isn't the best choice for yourself or worse still your.
passenger.
3 star Ncap rating is hardly impressive with or without Michelin tyres on .
Maybe look into a F10/F11 5 series :thumbsup:

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/bmw/z4/22022

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/bmw/5-series/11004
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:23 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:07 am
If safety concerns were a priority perhaps the E89 isn't the best choice for yourself or worse still your.
passenger.

got your moneys worth there, not sure what your buying though
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:10 am

mcbutler wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:23 pm
mr wilks wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:07 am
passenger.

got your moneys worth there, not sure what your buying though
:? What :? I'm not buying anything :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

sachb

Post by sachb » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:59 am

at the risk of opening up another can of worms should the tyre pressures be the same as the runflats? In my own humble opinion Michelins are the best for me and my car, feels much better!

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:37 pm

I go for how the car feels and mine feels better with lower pressures, I think 34/35 fronts and 36/37 rears. I'm running Kuhmo's
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:42 pm

sachb wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:59 am at the risk of opening up another can of worms should the tyre pressures be the same as the runflats? In my own humble opinion Michelins are the best for me and my car, feels much better!
When I changed to normal tyres the trye fitters told me to use the same pressures as per the original run flats. The car feels fine to me. Others might have different opinions.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

sachb

Post by sachb » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:50 pm

2.3 bar at the front and 2.8 at the back I didn't notice yesterday the garage had put 2.9 front and back !!!

YDB

Post by YDB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:48 am

Im about to change my tyres to non runflats after overwhelming opinion on this forum. Im not sure on the make of tyre yet but have already bought the puncture repair kit (with rats tails) and have a portable compressor that is small and works well. Ive only ever had a flat tyre that was obvious when I went to get into a car after it had been parked for several hours or I had heard that tell tale sound of screw head on bitumen and detected the puncture before it led to the tyre being flat. So Im gambling on being able to detect a problem, or the tyre being flat in my garage in the morning. Probably shouldn't have said anything, so fingers crossed for me.
Z4 2012 28i Alpine White / Black with black M326 -19" wheels, tint, stubby, plus ...
2023 VW T-ROC R Lapiz Blue.

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Blackcircles quoting today 4 x Pilot sport 4s's @ £ 774.48 fitted.

Is that a good price ?

225 / 35 R19
255 / 30 R19

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange