Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
markplant
Lifer
Lifer

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by markplant » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:35 pm

3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by mr wilks » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:38 pm

WoW that sounds fearsome when they crack it up :evil: not liking the frankenstein creation of the arches & alloys one bit though :cry: looks gash imo & would have been so much better with subtle sleeper style mods
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by buzyg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:17 pm

Who doesn't love a V8. :thumbsup: Looks awful though. :thumbsdown:

Pbondar

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by Pbondar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 pm

If it's like any of the other "lets put a big engine in" ones I've seen, it will handle like a turd and be embarassing on a road against a stock car :thumbsdown:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by mr wilks » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Pbondar wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 pm If it's like any of the other "lets put a big engine in" ones I've seen, it will handle like a turd and be embarassing on a road against a stock car :thumbsdown:
Hard to disagree in the respect you can put any engine / any power you like through any E89 & you won't have a sports car that handles but the torque in a V8 is there anywhere in the rev band , for that reason id wager it's likely to roast anything other than a 375/400bhp tuned & tweaked twin turbo in the world of 89s. :driving:
I had a V8 645ci before the Zs came along , I can well imagine the above car having all the same characteristics.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Silverstar

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by Silverstar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 pm

As the saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement! Agree with others I am not liking those silly huge wheels and arches.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by GuidoK » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:50 pm

I don't really get these builds.
These kinds of builds loose the essence of how the car is to be used.
There are no interior pics, but my guess is that this is a very rough build.
Aircon/climate control? probably not.
Stock gage cluster? probably not but some digidash generic panel
Alarm with immobilizer through the contact key? probably not
(and the list goes on).
To me it looks like they've harvested a chassis and put an LS in it. The chassis happens to be an E89.
And such a car only has a purpose on a track or a show. And if thats the future life the car is going to get, its a failed project, because there are so many chassis better suited for track use than the e89. They should have gotten something with dual wishbone all round, preferably lighter and such. BMW completely re-engineered the e89 when they went racing with it. And by re-engineering I mean they completely redesigned the underpinnings, then put a v8 in it, completely strenghened the front turret assy and put a fixed roof on it and widened it due to the modified suspension arms etc. Here its the other way around: we want to widen the bodykit, so we have to put wheels on with ridiculous offset so it matches the wide wings. That it gives a ridiculous scrub radius does not matter as they probably dont know what that is.
This car is just a look a like to gt3 racecar. And in that sence akin to a fiero with ferrari bodykit. Its not a racecar and not a streetcar anymore.
It's a car build to write an article about, and as far as cars go, thats not much.
Last edited by GuidoK on Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by markplant » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:03 pm

Maybe have a look at some of the other stuff that Dyno Torque and his neighbours Drift Works have created ,
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Deepseaskateboard

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 pm

This is basically a Z4 GT3 with a convertible roof.
Awesome project. The wide kit is part of the GT3, the bonnet is much wider on the GT3 than a standard Z4.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by GuidoK » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:18 pm

Yes not all their projects apparantly have those ridiculous wheels with totally unworkable parameters resulting in bad geometry, which makes this project extra bad. It seems that as long as they dont touch the parts, it's still allright :rofl:

A car that isn't usable on the street (face it, if you take this car for a spin in the alps it'll die on the first mountain pass in the first hairpin), nor usuable on the track (with those rims&tyres no decent laptime is possible, not to mention the gigantic torque steer due to an extreme scrub radius) is basically just a really big paperweight, as it doesnt excel in any area, in contrary to a normal e89 (which is an excellent cruiser, but they've taken that away)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by GuidoK » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:22 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 pm This is basically a Z4 GT3 with a convertible roof.
No its not. The GT3 was form follows function. For every visual alteration there was an engineering reason.
This is made to look like that without the engineering. They made bodge jobs to make ends meet, to "make it look good". Otherwise you dont fit rims with such offset. This car will be useless on track.
And why? get a 35is or 35i if you fancy a manual, and that engine is easily tunable to ls3 type horsepower, and you keep the aspects that make it street usable, and it'l probably perform better at a track too, as it can fit a decent set of wheels and tyres that can actually perform.
But of course you'll miss the fancy looking 1,5tonne paperweight. Because that is what it'll do and what its made for, and maybe a startup and some revs. But it won't set any lap time records because it isnt an actual performer.

If you want to know why the GT3 looks like the GT3, zoom in at GT3 pictures where they're working on the car to see how its constructed. It is TOTALLY different. Not a single part is the same. All arms, hubs etc are bespoke on the GT3 and of different proportions, which is why they adapted the wings to such a wide design.

Player 1

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by Player 1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am

If you want a V8 into an E89 done properly, this is the car:
https://www.drive2.com/r/bmw/z4/915819/

mcbutler

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by mcbutler » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Silverstar wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 pm As the saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement! Agree with others I am not liking those silly huge wheels and arches.
Their certainly is, its called a turbo etc.....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

E89 V8 by Dyno Torque

Post by mcbutler » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:29 pm

its a sack of crap, in a word.
Sounds awful, balance will be out the window, straight line american type muscle car garbage is all that we see here
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather