Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Working, but....

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
aquilaboy

Working, but....

Post by aquilaboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Posted similar before but after checking, the following functions that work fine with the engine running, do not work with only the ignition on but engine not running. Is this normal? Dip main beam (with switch in correct position) /cigar lighters/horn/rear fog lights/heater fan/heated seats/auto gear selector lights (so you don't know if you're in Park/D/N/R before starting the engine).

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Working, but....

Post by Smartbear » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Those functions are fairly high current usage so would deplete the battery quickly if the engine wasn’t running, can you not see what the drive is engaged in by turning the key to light up the instruments, is it not displayed in between the dials? :?
Why do these things worry you? :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Working, but....

Post by buzyg » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Hard to believe the head lights are not meant to work. :?

mcbutler

Working, but....

Post by mcbutler » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 pm

The heater fan should work if the engine is hot, it's a 'keep warm' feature. You park at the shops, key out, press the + button on the fan control and the centre LED should come on and the car will be kept warm till either the coolant gets cold or the battery level drops to critical level.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Busterboo

Working, but....

Post by Busterboo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:31 am

I'm impressed you know that.
Vidi, vici, veni

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Working, but....

Post by markplant » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:57 am

The auto box should always be in park , am sure you can't remove the key without it being in park , thus would still be in park when you get back in , prepares to be corrected
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

srhutch

Working, but....

Post by srhutch » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:50 am

markplant wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:57 am The auto box should always be in park , am sure you can't remove the key without it being in park , thus would still be in park when you get back in , prepares to be corrected
I think with these electronic gear selectors when you turn the car off it selects park itself.

Also can’t see why you would need dip beam with the engine off.

Tinker15

Working, but....

Post by Tinker15 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:57 am

markplant wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:57 am The auto box should always be in park , am sure you can't remove the key without it being in park , thus would still be in park when you get back in , prepares to be corrected
I suppose it depends if he has Comfort Access or not. If he hasn’t you can’t remove the remote from the slot without the car being in Park. Not only that but you can’t start the car without it being in Park and your foot on the brake. To be honest I’m not sure what the OP is on about. RTFM springs to mind! 😉
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Working, but....

Post by flybobbie » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:15 am

I can operate dip beam if i have home lights selected in the iDrive.
Never tried the horn, but every other car i have owned the horn could be operated ignition off.

aquilaboy

Working, but....

Post by aquilaboy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:44 pm

I posted this question, not because i'm worried that certain functions do not work unless the engine is running, but because I want to know if these functions should be working, but aren't - maybe they've been deactivated deliberately to save battery juice. Maybe this is the way things should be with this model/year? Model is 2015 20i Z4 Msport, so if anyone has this year or later, grateful for definitive answers.

Pbondar

Working, but....

Post by Pbondar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi, they should all run when the full ignition on sequence is done, there is an intermediate stage that only switches minor things on like boot lights /door lights/audio, are you confusing that first stage?

At the risk of creating yet another set of arguments, at the age your battery is it should be a ok to support all the systems for a period of time without the engine running..best way to check is to fully charge the battery and see waht happens to a) the battery ei does it fully charge and b) the car..

These babies need lots of high quality juice or things become erratic v quickly..

IMHO..