Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Silverstar

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by Silverstar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:17 pm

My car didn't come with the extended lighting package, the only thing I really miss is the lights in the footwells. So I got some lights this weekend from the breakers which fit into the space in the plastic trim under the glove box and steering wheel. I think the easiest way to connect these are to the interior dome lights which come on when the doors open or when you switch them on manually. I image the wiring for the dome light goes down the drivers side A pillar and then under the dash. The question is has anyone done this retrofit? I have tried searching but didn't find much. Does anyone know what wires they need to be connected to (under the dash / footwell area) or know where I can get a wiring diagram for the dome light. Many thanks.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:23 pm

I soldered a wire from the dome light, ran it down a pillar to a relay. The power from the relay came from some wiring near the fuse box.
The relay then feeds the footwell, door puddle, handle leds and my version of extended lighting.
I even fitted some switches in the drop down side pockets that illuminate them when open.
Last edited by flybobbie on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverstar

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by Silverstar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:25 pm

I was hoping to avoid running wires all the way up to the dome lights. Since I am only fitting the two footwell lights I would imagine I don't need a relay?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Power draw on footwell lights might be ok, but i was powering a good deal so fitted the relay.

Silverstar

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by Silverstar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Power draw should very little especially since I am going to be using LED bulbs. I don't suppose you remember the colour off the wires from the dome lights?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:40 pm

I had some problem with the light due the signal lines, reason why i just soldered onto the bulb holder and ran the wire to a relay. The computer data system line must decide when the light comes on. The other lines are just power.
Attachments
cl.jpg
cl.jpg (75.31 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Last edited by flybobbie on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverstar

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by Silverstar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Perfect thanks! :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:48 pm

So for instance you can't just connect to the red or grn/wht line. Think these also power the air bag off switch.
Gone are the days when there was a simply door switch.

Silverstar

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by Silverstar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:52 pm

So its best to connect it somewhere before it goes to the computers I suppose, like what you've done. Blast I was hoping there would be a easier place to connect them to. :|

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Well the computer tells the bulb to switch on, so i took the power signal from the bulb holder itself. Simply just soldered to the back of the bulb holder and ran that down the pillar. Bit didn't want draw any excessive power of it, so i connected the relay.

Silverstar

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by Silverstar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:02 pm

Well I finally got around to fitting the footwell lights. Big thanks to Flybobbie for your help, did exactly as you mentioned soldered wires to the bulb holder and voila! :thumbsup: Fitted a dash cam too whilst all the trim was out!
IMG_7489.jpeg
IMG_7489.jpeg (318.88 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Sorry excuse the mess, too knackered to clear up today, another job for tomorrow!

ProfCJJ

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by ProfCJJ » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi everyone, I’m hoping to be fitting my version of extended lighting over the Christmas hols.

To those that have it, could you confirm please: the footwell, door puddle lights and exterior door handle light turn on when the interior lighting turns on (such as opening door etc) and the interior door pull led and the “light pipe” underneath the arm rest turn on when the sidelights etc are on - is that correct?

The connector on the donor door card I have has three connections which I am assuming is to light things as stated above.

Thanks for any help 👍
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

ProfCJJ

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by ProfCJJ » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:21 pm

To respond to my own question - looking at the act diagrams it looks like the puddle lamps and orange ambient lighting in the door can operate independently of each other.

Another few questions for extended lighting owners though: are they two LEDs in the speaker cover behind driver's/passenger's head both amber? also they too seem to be operated independently of each other - is this the case please?

Also, there appears to be an amber(?) LED somewhere behind/underneath the I-drive screen/ cubby hole lid ... is this the case please?

Thanks
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

ProfCJJ

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by ProfCJJ » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:55 pm

Almost done retrofitting the extended lighting. Finished the wiring loom and fitted the rear bits today, these go along with the passenger door and both footwell lights which are done. Tomorrow I’ll refit the centre console bit. It’s been a right pain lifting all the trim and neatly putting my loom through - I could have got away with simpler and easier job but now it’s done in a very OEM fashion and completely reversible if I wanted.

I have the drivers door card left to do as I have not found a donor card yet.

I’m writing a how to as I go along and will post up when done.

Just a test of the loom below:
28361612-1D0C-4431-B679-EBDE50506C3A.jpeg
28361612-1D0C-4431-B679-EBDE50506C3A.jpeg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 819 times
---
Christopher

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Footwell Lights Retrofit

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:00 pm

Hi Christopher,

Do you have answers to your questions, I can check if need be

Sean
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.