Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Audio Recording (on track) of your SDrive35is for a videogame?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
tag_tim

Post by tag_tim » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi all,

Bit of a quirky request, but hopefully someone can help please!

(hope this is ok to post – was going to ask a moderator first, but I cannot work out how to contact them as advised in the FAQ, as I cannot send private messages…)

Our company produces audio for videogames, and we are looking for a BMW z4 SDrive35is to record for an upcoming game.

Our intention is to get this recorded at Millbrook Proving Ground, which is between Milton Keynes and Bedford (but it could be somewhere else in roughly the same area – tbc).

The idea would be – you bring the car along, we spend some time attaching a few mics into the engine bay, and then some around the exhaust/s (likely using suction cup type mounts that don’t damage your car!), and then either you or another driver (tbc) will then drive the car up and down the straight several times, recording some full load ‘ramps/sweeps’. This involves a slow rolling start, changing up to probably 4th gear, and then applying full throttle while at low RPM, and allowing the car to speed up all the way to the redline, then backing off when reached. We also need to record the opposite – decelerations from high RPM, coasting back to low RPM.

We will also need to record a few other bits and pieces like startup, switch off, blipping the throttle (in neutral), tickover etc. We would also do a bit of normal driving, up and down the gears, for reference.

There will be no thrashing the car around a track or sliding about trashing the tyres. There won’t be any wheelspinning or skidding. The health of the car (and people!) are of course paramount.

So there should be nothing here that is going to break your car, but it needs to be in good shape obviously, as high rpm in 4th gear is likely to be quite fast…certainly over 70mph!

As well as the mics attached to the car, we will also record trackside too for passbys. We will send you clips of what your car sounds like :)

We are happy to discuss expenses to cover your time and fuel etc. The session is likely to take around 2-3 hours in total including the setup/down time. Actual running time will be short…maybe 15-30 minutes?

Ideally we are looking for a stock model…appreciate this will not be as noisy as a modded car, but this is what the client is looking for.

Hopefully there might be some takers who are roughly in this area who might be up for this please? Aiming for end of this month, so in a couple of weeks time.

Please get in touch if you are interested!

Thanks!

Tim

The Audio Guys Limited

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:32 pm

What game is it for OP?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:35 pm

Sounds (no pun intended) like an interesting day out for someone in the Bedford area!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am

Oh the intrigue. :o :? 8) :rofl:

And the thought of an E89 going around corners fast. :lol: :driving:

Just kidding. :wink:

Burgy100

Post by Burgy100 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:50 am

And how are you covered? Insurance wise
E89 Silver 3.5is 2015 with a Heated Steering Wheel :driving:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:31 am

I have flown over Millbrook at 4 in the morning, watching cars go around and around.
Now i know what it was, always wondered.

Broads

Post by Broads » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:24 am

Now if only I had a 35is. This sounds like a fun day. Especially being a gamer, Would love to know my car was in a game..
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_zed_head
Current: (2012) 20i Deep Sea Blue Z4 - E89
Past: (2000) 1.9 Topaz Z3

JamesUK

Post by JamesUK » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm

If it had been South West area I'd have been keen.
2019-Present: e89 35is in Sapphire Black
2018-2019: 3 litre e85 in Maldives Blue
2012-2018: 3 litre e85 in Sterling Grey

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:49 pm

Just had a quick look at the company and it looks like they do a lot for Forza Motorsport, so a pretty big game!

Am I right in saying that the 35i has the same exhaust system as the 35iS? Because then this would simply be the difference between a stock map (stage 0 = 35i) and a stage 1 map (stage 1 = 35iS) meaning that any remapped 35i would also produce a very similar sound.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Beeacon wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:49 pm Just had a quick look at the company and it looks like they do a lot for Forza Motorsport, so a pretty big game!

Am I right in saying that the 35i has the same exhaust system as the 35iS? Because then this would simply be the difference between a stock map (stage 0 = 35i) and a stage 1 map (stage 1 = 35iS) meaning that any remapped 35i would also produce a very similar sound.
The exhaust is different

tag_tim

Post by tag_tim » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in updating the thread – have been out of the office and out and about!

Anyway, great to see there is some interest...a few answers then…

We don’t actually know what the game is as yet. It is something new, so will likely be ‘secret’ for a while yet! However, as you may have noticed from our company name, yes, we have been involved with some big racing games, so it is likely to be something pretty cool :)

The exact location and date are still tbc. We are liaising with another company who are sorting the logistics out.

The insurance is also tbc as it is kind of tied to the location used. In any case, the insurance would cover accidental damage to the vehicle, and presumably injury cover etc. However, any insurance will not cover breakdown or mechanical failure so it is important you understand that this part is ‘at your own risk’.

Anyway, hopefully that addresses the main points for now. It is likely to be an interesting day, and also very likely we will be recording other cars on the same day too.

Given that I cannot send any private messages, hopefully it is ok for me to post my email address here if anyone wants to speak to me directly about anything or wants to register their interest. It is [email protected]

Thanks again!

Cheers

Tim

josh1quattro

Post by josh1quattro » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 pm

Damn, now I wish I had a 35is and not a 28i. I'm only in Milton Keynes, and a pretty big motor sim gamer too. :headbang:
2014 E89 Mineral White 28i MSport

Chris1712

Post by Chris1712 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:29 pm

I might be up for it depending on the details. I’m quite far away but if it’s not an awkward day or silly o’clock I can probably do it :thumbsup:
Pure Traction 35iS - Sold!
Carbon Black E86 3.0si Coupe - Gone but not forgotten

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:12 am

or a 35i, they sound the same.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:20 am

mcbutler wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:12 am or a 35i, they sound the same.
No they don't. They have different exhausts, and their is an audible difference between the two in terms of volume level.