Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just purchased the FoxWell NT530 with BMW Software

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Kolobos

Post by Kolobos » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:28 am

Hi,

Having just purchased the Foxwell NT530 BMW scan tool I was interested to know if there is any information/guides regarding using such a tool to code specific items or using it to put the parking brake in workshop mode etc? It basically came with nothing, not even a user manual. All i got was information on how to register and update it!

I scanned the car OK and no faults found, basically bought it as I have a valid interest in electronics and doing repairs myself where possible. I do like how I can also add other specific cars if I purchase the relevant software. Anyone know any good places to get such software? I believe Foxwell charge £60 per manufacturer.

Steve.
2012 E89 28i MSport

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:28 am

I bought one of these and yes a bit scant on detail as to it's use. I used mine to monitor the roof action of the switches when the roof failed and paid for itself. Mine did come with a booklet, i will double check what links to the internet it may have given.

I can see why they charge for additional cars. I had a friend who had a garage and he said he had to pay £3k annually to licence his diagnostic software. Another reason why he closed down his back street garage.

Cees Klumper

Post by Cees Klumper » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:38 pm

I have the same Foxwell and found all sorts of seemingly advanced options and access into nooks and crannies of the car's brain I have no idea how to use without potentially messing something up. Admit I have not tried to research what it all means, either thru Foxwell or the generic internet, it's probably all explained someplace.
You remind me that I should look for the e-brake service mode activation as I am getting ready to replace my rear brake discs. But from what I have seen, this is a great scanner that should be perfectly adequate for maybe 95% of what a DIY-er might need.
2011 sDrive 35i Alpine White
100,000 miles 3rd owner
Other BMW is a 2016 C650 Sport scooter-beast

Kolobos

Post by Kolobos » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi all,
I eventually found a manual for the NT530 here http://www.foxwelltech.us/product-detail-524.html and a different site selling the Software Authorisation (other vehicle makes) for the scanner NT510/520/530 at £46 per car manufacturer.

Steve.
2012 E89 28i MSport

acm

Post by acm » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:57 am

Hi,

Beware, I bought one of these a few weeks ago with the BMW model preloaded - when I connected it to my PC to download and update to latest software I scanned the SD card and received a report that a key capture virus named W32/Ramnit.a!inf was detected and deleted.

Not a great problem to be resolved by decent protection software (and having AutoRun/AutoPlay disabled), but a salutary reminder to be wary about plugging in memory cards and sticks into your PC and using them without checking it first.

Cheers!
Andy

Kolobos

Post by Kolobos » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Oh, to be fair I did plug the memory card into my laptop and it didn't complain. I made a copy of it just in case things didn't go as planned. I will scan it soon and report back.

Steve.
2012 E89 28i MSport