Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice on specifications for trackdays needed please

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mikedelta

Post by mikedelta » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi Everybody, I'm new to the Z4-Forum and I hope soon to be buying an E89 Z4 with the intention of using it mainly for trackdays and the occasional summer day out.

I would like to know which suspension, brakes and tyres you recommend. I understand the 4 cylinder turbo models are nimbler than the 6 cylinder ones but may go with the six on the grounds of reliability, is that a reasonable view? Also, I have an E46 330 and I'm a fan of the Sport Auto, any major problems on running the automatic version on track?

Many thanks in advance.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Sorry I can't help with your questions though as my E86 has never been on a track (well not since I bought it)!

Although it relates to an E86, this thread might offer some hints regarding suspension, brakes and tyres for track use:- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112593

Coincidentally my daily is a 330 as well, but it's a manual E90 - I've never been a fan of autos. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:12 pm

If it is for track work then I would possibly be looking more at the E85/86 rather than the E89. :driving:

Out of the box they are more Chuckable. E89 is a bit more portly. :wink:

Welcome aboard. :)

Jakg

Post by Jakg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:48 pm

The brakes will probably need upgrading. I'm sure the 4-pot "BMW Performance" caliper is a straight fit on the E89 - I've seen it on here before but can't find it right now.

mikedelta

Post by mikedelta » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Thank you very much for the responses folks.

I agree that an E86 Coupe would be stiffer/better but I just like the look of the E86 roadster - the ever-present battle between head and heart but this time heart is going to win. Mr Tidy, the BM auto box in Sport mod has turned me to the dark side. I really like the way the sensors behave and I've found two-pedalling adds to the tools I can use but I've never driven on track with an auto so I'm a bit unsure. And that link to the build thread is really useful. I'll look into the "BMW Performance" caliper too.

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Rule number one of anyone tracking - get the car serviced - oils changed, brakes checked for wear and do a brake fluid refresh,and then just get it out on track before you do anything else.

It is essential that you start any plans for modifications from an informed basis - ie having driven the car and identified yourself what isn't working to your taste, preference near the limits of the car and your own abilities.

In my view the very first thing you (or indeed anyone intending to start doing trackdays) is to get some form of driving tuition - it will be the best money you spend and will allow you to get an awful lot more from your car than throwing money on upgraded bits.

I'm sure this post will go totally ignored in the clamour of "do your brakes first!" "no do your suspension first" "you need more power" "ditch the run flats" - always tends to, but after spending time focusing on driving my nearly standard 3.0si coupe properly (bilstein dampers and eibach springs only done because the old ones were totally shot, followed by a good alignment - everything else standard), I was able to run rings round a lot of substantially more track oriented machinery around Goodwood a few years ago....
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

mikedelta

Post by mikedelta » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:56 pm

Ed, great advice and I totally agree. I've been giving race instruction for more than 35 years though so I hope I've got that bit worked out. It's really encouraging to know, however, that you had good results with Bilsteins, Eibachs and a basically standard car. Anything else you changed/modified? I don't want a track monster, just something I can enjoy.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:46 pm

I would recommend booking on the BMWCCGB trackdays. They are more civilized and better run than most of the commercial trackdays. Also lots of other BMW drivers and tuners to offer advice.
I've seen a fair few E85s and E86s on track, but don't remember seeing an E89 yet.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:16 pm

mikedelta wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:56 pm Ed, great advice and I totally agree. I've been giving race instruction for more than 35 years though so I hope I've got that bit worked out. It's really encouraging to know, however, that you had good results with Bilsteins, Eibachs and a basically standard car. Anything else you changed/modified? I don't want a track monster, just something I can enjoy.
Excellent - rare to find someone approaching from that angle!

In my view the e89 is still a heavy platform to start from with a track car, and the chassis isn't particularly great but plenty of fun to be had I'm sure - my preference would be improved body control with upgraded dampers and then see how the brakes hold up before upgrading - you may well find with your experience you're dragging the brakes less so they have more time to recover between stops, so won't fade as badly as for a novice driver. I'd not bother upgrading until you've been out on circuit a couple of times though personally.

The other thing that can improve predictability I've found was installing powerflex lollipop bushes and rear trailing arm bushes - they improve the geo control and the trade off is only a very minor increase in nvh.

My own preference would still be a manual car, and an e86 as the chassis really is fab, but appreciate its each to their own, and I'm sure you'll still have plenty of fun which is ultimately what it's all about anyway 8)

Enjoy!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(